ACDGIV Proposal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Hercules
    with just 5 or so participants so it is hard to justify.
    Well, I can swallow my objections to the Conclave and be an active participant - it'll certainly be different, and stretch my roleplaying capabilities (but that's not always a bad thing ... no?)

Comment

Originally posted by vyeh
      Maniac, maybe you could email the "quite nice" map to Googlie and Darsnan and get their take on it.

If they like it, then I guess placing the factions on the map would be the next step.
      If Googlie's playing, he probably shouldn't see the map.
      Though I'm wondering about the Conclave. Do we want to go through with that faction if a couple of the most active posters have trouble with it? I'm wondering how many people who voted Conclave in this poll are fervently in favour of it, and how many voted them, thinking it would be nice, but would also be willing to play another faction. I certainly fall in the second category.
      Contraria sunt Complementa. -- Niels Bohr
      Mods: SMAniaC (SMAC) & Planetfall (Civ4)

Comment

Since you're the one who initially proposed the Conclave, we could look at another faction.

Who is (are) the most active poster(s) besides Googlie who have problems with the Conclave?

It would speed things up if they would propose a faction.

Personally, I would prefer to avoid a faction played in ACDGIII.
        Unofficial SMAC/X Patches Version 1.0 @ Civilization Gaming Network

Comment

I'm hardly the most active poster anymore, but I would likely be interested in returning for ACDG4 if the faction played were just about any but the Believers / Conclave. As for what faction, I suggested the Uni a while back, but I don't believe that many really picked up on that.
          Adam T. Gieseler

Comment

Sigh. It is obvious that the SMAniaC/Conclave setup won't work despite the majority agreeing to it. Is anyone interested in a different kind of demogame
            SMAC/X FAQ | Chiron Archives
            The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man. --G.B.Shaw

Comment

Maybe what we need is wait till summer holidays are over?
              Mart
              Map creation contest
              WPC SMAC(X) Democracy Game - Morganities aspire to dominate Planet

Comment

Or perhaps a new poll should be organized to determine how many people are still willing to participate actively in a SMAC demogame.
                He who knows others is wise.
                He who knows himself is enlightened.
                -- Lao Tsu

SMAC(X) Marsscenario

Comment

Originally posted by mart7x5
                  Maybe what we need is wait till summer holidays are over?
                  No offense, but waiting is not the solution. We are waiting for quite some time and now you propose more waiting? A new approach is needed.
                  SMAC/X FAQ | Chiron Archives
                  The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man. --G.B.Shaw

Comment

If you'll look at the posts on this page, Maniac had generated a map and some people had agreed to be CMN. Maniac had suggested reopening the issue of which faction in order to accomodate a couple of the most active posters.

I had suggested that those posters propose a faction. We got one suggestion: Uni.

I have no problems with Uni. In terms of research, Uni is strongest while Believers is weakest. This would certainly make the tech game faster. I'd still prefer a two tier structure, but I'd accept some sort of arrangement where no one could be a turnplayer a second time as long as there was someone who hadn't been turnplayer and wanted a shot.

I'd like to try SMAniaC and I'd like to defer discussion of dropping SMAniaC from the demogame until we have resolved the issue of faction.

Does anyone object to Uni?
                    Unofficial SMAC/X Patches Version 1.0 @ Civilization Gaming Network

Comment

Yeah, it's up to the people who disagreed with the Conclave to suggest another faction now.

Comment

Let me turn the tables a bit, and ask, of those who disagree with the Uni, what are your reasons?

My reason for not wanting to do the Conclave is simple: I would not have any fun roleplaying a Christian religious fundamentalist. So if that's where this demo game is headed I unfortunately have better uses for my time.

The roleplay of the University in the second demo game never really took off... If it were the main demo game rather than a faction subforum, more people would participate and the RP would fuel itself.
                        Adam T. Gieseler

Comment

I think playing the Uni could be too easy.

Though fortunately not as easy as in the standard game: I've moved the Virtual World to a level 5 tech (Optical Computers) just to annoy the University.

Comment

Just because we play as a faction called the 'Believers' does not mean we have to play as christian fundamentalists. I would personally find RPing as scientologists to be more interesting.

After a PR fiasco with a celebrity couple, the IRS investigates the CoS, revoking their tax exempt status and demands back payment, with interest, on their 'late' taxes (a figure in the billions). Seeing an opportunity to flee the thetan riddled earth, the CoS quickly financed a portion of the UNS Unity. While the non scientologist crew harbored many thetans from earth, they would be cleansed after planetfall.

+2 support: highly devoted followers
                            +1 probe: experience with constant legal battles, backmail and extortion while on earth.
                            -2 science: The writings of the late Hubbard are right! Those evil pshyciatrists conspiring against us!
                            -1 planet: don't give a damn about the environment
                            Last edited by arginine; June 12, 2006, 02:42.

Comment

how about playing some other religion? like from a roleplay game

fundamentalist - there is something interesting about it. Imagine we play a lazy order that does not care about their god a bit, smokes weed only, bends rules all the time, is late with turns etc. it's no fun
                              Mart
                              Map creation contest
                              WPC SMAC(X) Democracy Game - Morganities aspire to dominate Planet

Comment

Originally posted by arginine
                                Just because we play as a faction called the 'Believers' does not mean we have to play as christian fundamentalists. I would personally find RPing as scientologists to be more interesting.

After a PR fiasco with a celebrity couple, the IRS investigates the CoS, revoking their tax exempt status and demands back payment, with interest, on their 'late' taxes (a figure in the billions). Seeing an opportunity to flee the thetan riddled earth, the CoS quickly financed a portion of the UNS Unity. While the non scientologist crew harbored many thetans from earth, they would be cleansed after planetfall.

+2 support: highly devoted followers
                                +1 probe: experience with constant legal battles, backmail and extortion while on earth.
                                -2 science: The writings of the late Hubbard are right! Those evil pshyciatrists conspiring against us!
                                -1 planet: don't give a damn about the environment
                                Neat idea -- though, I'm pretty sure that in Scientology a "thetan" is the soul. It's been ages since I read a Scientology book, though -- maybe the word is used in other ways too. But it's not to my knowledge thought to be something negative.

Regardless, if people want to play the Believers that works -- I just won't be joining them. I don't want to block what a majority wants to do out of some misguided hope for perfect consensus.
                                Adam T. Gieseler

Comment

Working...
                                X