ACDGIV Proposal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Do we have a CMN?

Otherwise, we can generate a random map.
    Unofficial SMAC/X Patches Version 1.0 @ Civilization Gaming Network

Comment

Still the best way is to have a CMN setup everything. Boosted AI have to be also properly placed on the map too, in my experience often super AI (with improved faction files) when placed by the game itself on some starting location screw things up big.
      Mart
      Map creation contest
      WPC SMAC(X) Democracy Game - Morganities aspire to dominate Planet

Comment

Originally posted by mart7x5
        There seem to be moderate enthusiasm for a new DG now.
        So either the game will start now with limited members and later it will grow, as new people join or we still discuss it.
        Both ways have advantages and disadvantages.

We could start to play and keep everything open, so more people get interested.
        Yes, let's keep everything open.

Once the game is up and running it will attract more action, especially, if they don't have to download and install the SMAniaC modification.

I like the idea of Googlie CMN'ing the game.

vhey's proposed rules seem ok so long as the majority (democracy) have final say.

'I kind of like the idea of having some control over a base or two.'

Let's get it set up and running.

I'm not sure how to count the folks who wanted SMAniaC, but a majority of the folks [those who wanted vanilla] (7) wanted AI boosted vanilla, and (6) CMN assisted vanilla.

Build it, and they will come.

Mead

Comment

Originally posted by Mead
          I'm not sure how to count the folks who wanted SMAniaC, but a majority of the folks [those who wanted vanilla] (7) wanted AI boosted vanilla, and (6) CMN assisted vanilla.Mead
          Let's be precise:

6 want SMAniaC
          4 want AI boosted and CMN assisted
          3 want AI boosted and not CMN assisted
          2 want AI not boosted, but CMN assisted

and 2 (fed 1943 and Humphrey) want SMAniaC with boosted AI.

So, even if we combine categories (and in an earlier post, I noted the danger of assuming that someone who wants a boosted, but no CMN assistance, would accept boosted and assisted), we would get something like this:

8 want some version of SMAniaC
          7 want some version of AI boosted vanilla
          6 want some version of AI assisted by CMN

So some version of SMAniaC has a plurality.

I also posted a thread inviting people who disagreed with SMAniaC to state their oppostion:

The last post was April 4th and both responses were in favor of SMAniaC.

So let's not disenfranchise the plurality, when the plurality seems the most vocal.

vhey's proposed rules seem ok so long as the majority (democracy) have final say.
          1. It is vyeh.
          2. The proposed rules were posted at the top of the thread and in the poll on this thread have received 5 votes to 1 vote (and I think the negative vote was Illuminatus, who seemed to want some discussion on the question of CMN, not on the rules.) So I'd say the majority has had the final say.
          3. These rules are more than my rules. They are the result of a lot of discussion on another thread. I made compromises to build a consensus.
          Last edited by vyeh; April 15, 2006, 11:07.

Comment

Can we get someone to agree to be CMN? That seems to be the next step in getting ACDGIV going.

Comment

I like the idea of Googlie CMN'ing the game.
              Mead
              I'd rather participate as a player than CMN it

But although I'd like to give SMAniaC mod a go, I'm not excited by playing the Conclave.

Personally, I never did see Miriam & the Believers (aka Conclave) as being Catholic wannabees - the "Evangelical Fire" church upbringing, and her Unity position as "Psych Chaplain" to me don't gell with a heirarchy built on the Rome model

So I'm having trouble dealing with both a modded tech tree and abilities, as well as a (to me) alien infrastructure that's compounded by being, to my mind, not at all what the game intends

If the decision is to stick with SMAniaC mod, and play the Conclave, then i'll happily set up the game and sit it out

If another SMAniaC faction is chosen, or a vanilla SMAC one (other than the Believers, as it'll likely take the same structure as that proposed for the Conclave), then I'd like to play

Comment

Originally posted by Googlie
                If the decision is to stick with SMAniaC mod, and play the Conclave, then i'll happily set up the game and sit it out

If another SMAniaC faction is chosen, or a vanilla SMAC one (other than the Believers, as it'll likely take the same structure as that proposed for the Conclave), then I'd like to play
                From my understanding the game is SMAniaC and it will be the Conclave, so it sounds like Googlie will be setting this one up (and if he wants some help playtesting I'll volunteer for that). However, if things change and Googlie wants to play, then I will set up the game.

D

Comment

Personally, I never did see Miriam & the Believers (aka Conclave) as being Catholic wannabees - the "Evangelical Fire" church upbringing, and her Unity position as "Psych Chaplain" to me don't gell with a heirarchy built on the Rome model

I must say that I agree with Googlie. Although it is Maniac's "alternate" faction , it doesn't feel right to me either.
                  SMAC/X FAQ | Chiron Archives
                  The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man. --G.B.Shaw

Comment

Well personally I'd be willing to participate in a DG with about any faction if that means more people participate. The reasons why I suggested the Conclave was because during ACDG3 there were a couple people who already wanted to start another single player DG, and the Believers were their suggested faction. It's also, besides the Cult and aliens, the only faction that hasn't been played by anyone in any DG, so it's guaranteed to be something new for everyone.

However personally I'd vote for about any faction if there was a majority for that. In fact, from a test game I think the Conclave might not be that perfect for a DG, as they have a specific SE setting which I found is best for them in about all situations. Of course this also counts for other factions to some degree, that there is "one best" strategy to follow for them. And for a DG, the more unpredetermined a faction is strategywise, the better. In case anyone's interested, this is according to me how open the different factions are regarding SE setting and research path to follow.

Conclave
                    Techwise: open
                    SEwise: relatively closed

Gaians
                    Techwise: closed
                    SEwise: closed

Hive

Morgan
                    Haven't got a clue

Peacekeepers
                    SEwise: open

Spartans

University

Angels
                    Haven't got a clue

Consciousness

Drones

Cult

Pirates
                    Techwise: mediocre

Caretakers
                    Haven't got a clue

Usurpers
                    Haven't got a clue

Bree

Genesis
                    SEwise: relatively closed

Ghosts
                    Haven't got a clue yet

Atlantis
                    Techwise: mediocre
                    SEwise: mediocre

Republic
                    Haven't got a clue yet

Templar

Empaths
                    Contraria sunt Complementa. -- Niels Bohr
                    Mods: SMAniaC (SMAC) & Planetfall (Civ4)

Comment

I'd be willing to CMN btw.

Comment

There are currently 5 people interested in playing. If not more people show up, I don't think it's worth to invest a lot of time into this.

I won't join because the civ4 demo game and the c4:ac mod already take a lot of time.
                        no sig

Comment

Well in case anyone's interested, I've generated a few random maps, and I think I have one that could be quite nice.

Comment

Maniac, maybe you could email the "quite nice" map to Googlie and Darsnan and get their take on it.

If they like it, then I guess placing the factions on the map would be the next step.

Comment

I am still interested but with just 5 or so participants so it is hard to justify.
                              Last edited by Hercules; May 6, 2006, 18:20.
                              On the ISDG 2012 team at the heart of CiviLIZation

Comment

There was a lot of interest immediately after the end of ACDGIII. I think we will attract players if we start playing.

The only other alternative is to give up on demo games entirely. It is hard to imagine that we will get more participants by having a quiet forum.

Comment

Working...
                                X