Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mead,

I think mart7x5 and I have agreed on the following:

(1) build a base among the three existing bases with our colony pod.
    (2) attempt infiltration at Sheng-Ji Yang Base
    (3) fire counter-battery units at Posts #1 and #2
    (4) upgrade transports and observers at Posts #1 and #2
    (5) post mid-turn save and discuss from there

Do you agree?
    Unofficial SMAC/X Patches Version 1.0 @ Civilization Gaming Network

Comment

Originally posted by vyeh
      Mead,

I think mart7x5 and I have agreed on the following:

(1) build a base among the three existing bases with our colony pod.
      (2) attempt infiltration at Sheng-Ji Yang Base
      (3) fire counter-battery units at Posts #1 and #2
      (4) upgrade transports and observers at Posts #1 and #2
      (5) post mid-turn save and discuss from there

Do you agree?
      Yes. Go ahead.

Mead

Comment

2299mid1 report

Established U.N. Headquarters: For some reason, this became a 4 pop base with headquarters, recycling tanks, recreation commons and energy bank. Is this the bug Darsnan was talking about?

Sheng-Ji Yang Base had probe team. Fired counter-battery unit. Hardened probe team damaged 50%. Attacked with intel unit at 16-9 odds. Probe team destroyed. Intel unit damaged 40% and promoted to hardened. Infiltrated and intel unit promoted to veteran and returned to Worker's Nest.

Infiltrated Intelligence:

Sheng-Ji Yang Base: Progenitor Rover, Troop Transport, Impact Infantry, Impact Rover, Synth Police.

Working Man Hold: same as Sheng-Ji Yang Base plus probe team.

SotR has 8 bases, 74 military units, 11 probe teams, 10 E.C., Doctrine: Mobility, Biogenetics, Applied Physics, Planetary Network, Nonlinear Mathematics

Posted 2299 mid-save 1. PLEASE NOTE: For those of you with Windows, you'll be able to open the save. You will not be able to resave. (The game will autosave on the next turn. You would be able to open the autosave and then save the game normally.)
        Attached Files

Comment

2299mid1 report

Established U.N. Headquarters: For some reason, this became a 4 pop base with headquarters, recycling tanks, recreation commons and energy bank. Is this the bug Darsnan was talking about?
          Yes it is. Interesting, huh? CT thinks that its because I started the game at a later year, that the game then thinks this is an accelerated start.

D

Comment

Originally posted by Darsnan
            Oh yeah, and while playtesting I ran into a new bug that Googlie, Chaos Theory and I hadn't seen before. CT came up with the most plausible explaination for it: if you discover it you'll know it, and its OK to take advantage of it if it occurs.
            Exactly how would we not take advantage? Starve the base to pop 1, sell off all the improvements and waste the e.c. on overpaying for rush builds?

Mead, mart7x5: Here are some areas I'd like you to think about:

(1) procure technology: How should we go about getting technology?

(1a) we could open a dialog with The Hive: risk: the Hive ends our Pact and our units are relocated from #1 and #2 to our bases.

(1b) we can attempt to get the comm frequency for Gaia's Stepdaughters from The Hive and attempt a technology trade.

(1c) probe action at Sheng-Ji Base: risk: we lose an intel unit.

(1d) probe action at Working Man Hold: risk: we lose one or more (likely one) intel unit taking out the probe team (it is still only 16-9 even with a preliminary counter-battery fire), we strand one intel unit next to Working Man Hold (if it has more than 40% damage after defeating the probe team), and/or we lose an intel unit. (In the worse case, we lose one intel unit attacking the probe team and we strand the other intel unit defeating the probe team and we don't get any technology. Unlikely, but possible.)

(1e) what technology do we research: Centauri Ecology, Industrial Automation b-line, Doctrine:Mobility, Doctrine:Flexibiiity

(2) infiltrating The Hive: note: Mead was going to see if it is possible to infiltrate a Pact Brother; risk: The Hive ends the Pact when we get next to a base and our units are relocated from #1 to #2 to our bases.

(3) ending the Pact with The Hive: this would result in concentrating our units, but we'd lose position.

(4) moving units (using the transport capabilties of both the troop transports and the intel units) from Great Clustering

(4a) Should we move both observer units and both troop transports to Worker's Nest for an attack next turn on Sheng-Ji Yang Base (that would leave both counter-battery units at Great Clustering for mindworm defense)?

(4b) Should we move one or both observer units from Plex Anthill to Worker's Nest?

(4c) Alternative to (4a) and (4b), we could reinforce Plex Anthill from Great Clustering

(5) pod popping: should we start now or wait?

(6) secret project: should we initiate the Human Genome Project at U.N. Headquarters?

(7) exploration

(8) build queues: Do we want to continue building two scouts and colony pod?

I'd like to hear your thoughts.

Comment

Exactly how would we not take advantage? Starve the base to pop 1, sell off all the improvements and waste the e.c. on overpaying for rush builds?
              Because this only works on the first turn. So if you had waited to plant your CP till the next turn, you would've gotten just a regular pop 1 base, no extra facilities.

Mead, mart7x5: Here are some areas I'd like you to think about:
              These are some good ideas! Should be an interesting game!

D

Comment

Because this only works on the first turn. So if you had waited to plant your CP till the next turn, you would've gotten just a regular pop 1 base, no extra facilities.
                I can't think of any reason not to plant the CP (unless we wanted to minimize overlap).

These are some good ideas! Should be an interesting game!
                Actually, we owe you for an interesting game. I'm trying to be exhaustive. I wouldn't want to forego a strategy through neglect.

The major one I'm struggling with is concentration versus position. The units at #1 and #2 are way out there. Can they hold until reinforcements reach? From a RP point of view, they are fulfilling the "official" mandate. Are they also contributing to the "unofficial" mandate?

Comment

Can you all help me out here?

How do I open the save?

I just downloaded the save tried to open it through multiplayer, then load game, and then scenario.

When I used scenario it flashed the whole map (OPEN MAP). I instantly realized that this was not good.

Literally, I closed my eyes, then squinted to see how click on quit game in the bottom left. I quitted game.

How do I load this thing?

Mead

PS
                  I can't recall much (but there are a couple I won't share as to not further the taint of knowledge), but I understand that if you all wish me to not continue with the game, I understand. Please let me know, if how to download the game and whether I should (Or already have) become a mere spectator.

Comment

Originally posted by Mead
                    Can you all help me out here?

How do I open the save?

I just downloaded the save tried to open it through multiplayer, then load game, and then scenario.
                    After you download the game, open it through "Load Game". It is single-player.

Originally posted by Mead
                    When I used scenario it flashed the whole map (OPEN MAP). I instantly realized that this was not good.

Literally, I closed my eyes, then squinted to see how click on quit game in the bottom left. I quitted game.

PS
                    I can't recall much (but there are a couple I won't share as to not further the taint of knowledge), but I understand that if you all wish me to not continue with the game, I understand. Please let me know, if how to download the game and whether I should (Or already have) become a mere spectator.
                    Don't share what you've inadvertantly picked up. I do want you to continue with the game in an active role.

Since it was accidental and you did your best to minimize the advantage, I doubt Darsnan will have any problems with you continuing in the demogame.

I leave it to him to discuss with you any necessary measures to protect the integrity of the demogame.

Comment

Another strategic possibility:

(4d) Alternative to (4a), (4b) and (4c), we could reinforce #1 and #2 from Great Clustering

Comment

I've corresponded with Darsan regarding this.

I'll keep up with the game, but to mitigate improper knowledge:

If I keep on playing I'll restrict myself to tactical comments, not, strategic comments. In particular, I do not want to suggest areas to explore.

Once the overall map becomes revealed through tech steals, exploration, and finally satellites (if the game lasts that long) I'll take a more active role in the strategic realm.

I guess I can work at base/teraforming managment.

Mead

Comment

Fine. I'd still like to hear your thoughts on the areas I outlined in posts #20 and #25. The following areas I don't think have anything to do with knowledge of the unexplored areas of the map:

(1), (2), (5), (6), (8)

While I can see that you can't say anything about (7), feel free to speak about (3) and (4) if you don't have any improper knowledge that would bear on the answer.

Please do take a look at the bases and see if they are properly optimized.

I really want you to keep playing. I see no reason why you can't be a turnplayer, provided all your decisions are tactical (e.g. combat) and that any decisions on exploration are made by the rest of us.

Comment

Interesting scenario Darsnan

I am just 20 years in playing it solo and won't say anything to spoil it for others but I am enjoying the early years very very much
                            You don't get to 300 losses without being a pretty exceptional goaltender.-- Ben Kenobi speaking of Roberto Luongo

Comment

Originally posted by Flubber
                              Interesting scenario Darsnan

So did you also experience the +4 pop for your first base? I am assuming it will always happen the same, but thouht I'd ask to be sure.

Originally posted by Flubber
                              I am just 20 years in playing it solo and won't say anything to spoil it for others but I am enjoying the early years very very much
                              Yup, lots happens in the early years in this one!

If you want, you can PM or E-Mail me your thoughts on the game - what you like, what you dislike, how the AI handled the new units such as the Synth Police and the Troop Transports, etc. Reason for this is that the ACDG4 Team is intending to have a series of games starring the PKs, and so good feedback now will lead to better games in the future.

D

Comment

So did you also experience the +4 pop for your first base? I am assuming it will always happen the same, but thouht I'd ask to be sure.

Yes I did-- I assumed it was some sort of feature and was praising you in my mind for it . Oh well

I will PM you with my initial thoughts
                                You don't get to 300 losses without being a pretty exceptional goaltender.-- Ben Kenobi speaking of Roberto Luongo

Comment

Working...
                                X