No announcement yet.

Civ 5 GPU performance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A "COMMUNITY" is better off if people aren't making personal attacks... Discuss the topic, not the posters.
    Keep on Civin'
    RIP rah, Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Feel free to contribute to the topic then, Ming.

Far as I can tell, I'm one of the only people in this thread not only discussing the topic, but providing factual, relevant information that people may otherwise not have had...

If some troll gets a little flamed, then I guess we shouldn't be too surprised. Read his first post and tell me it's not a troll. Hell, he's even trolling Python as some kind of script kiddie language.

Got what he deserved. Now let's talk about the topic.

What do you think about Civ 5's GPU performance, Ming?
      "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
      Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

There is almost certaily a driver bug or a game engine bug that affects performance on GTX2xx cards. This probalby explains the low load on the GTX 275. It also probably means that the card is not doing optimal work which leads to higher CPU load.
        Quendelie axan!

Comment

Originally posted by Asher View Post
          Far as I can tell, I'm one of the only people in this thread not only discussing the topic, but providing factual, relevant information that people may otherwise not have had...
          And I have no problem with that part of your posts...

If some troll gets a little flamed, then I guess we shouldn't be too surprised.
          Yeah... we should be surprised since flaming isn't allowed in the on topic forums. Feel free to do so in the Off Topic forums, but NOT here.

What do you think about Civ 5's GPU performance, Ming?
          I'm just thrilled the game runs on the machine that I bought way back when for Civ IV. I have since added memory and upgraded the video card, but the video card is still on the low end of the basic requirements. I've had no problems running the game, and it performs quite well considering my system. However, the game looks far better on more up to date machines.
          Keep on Civin'
          RIP rah, Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

i desperately need a new video card. this one's making noises and has been a trooper for the last three years. I'm running an athalon 64 x2 dual core 5000+ @ 2.6 GHz and 2 gigs of ram. care to make a gpu recommendation, asher?
            I wasn't born with enough middle fingers.
            [Brandon Roderick? You mean Brock's Toadie?][Hanged from Yggdrasil]

Comment

Originally posted by Sir Og View Post
              There is almost certaily a driver bug or a game engine bug that affects performance on GTX2xx cards. This probalby explains the low load on the GTX 275. It also probably means that the card is not doing optimal work which leads to higher CPU load.
              Yep. As I said, ironically it's probably an Nvidia driver bug that he's seeing. What's amusing is he also claims to be running it at very high resolutions with high graphics settings and playable framerates, when all evidence is that's obviously not true.

THIS IS NOT A FLAME, BUT A STATEMENT OF FACT that just happens to imply something about the poster.
              "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."

Comment

Originally posted by self biased View Post
                i desperately need a new video card. this one's making noises and has been a trooper for the last three years. I'm running an athalon 64 x2 dual core 5000+ @ 2.6 GHz and 2 gigs of ram. care to make a gpu recommendation, asher?
                Depends on your budget.

The CPU is not slow, but it'll be a bottleneck with any reasonable new graphics card. 2GB of RAM is also not ideal...

Comment

i won't have the cash for a full upgrade until after my taxes are done. 4 gig of ram will run me about $75. in theory, i may have another $125 or so to spend.

newegg has [this] on special right now.
                  Last edited by self biased; November 3, 2010, 16:56.

Comment

That'd work.

Comment

a friend of mine may sell me his gpu; he's tempted to upgrade, and he'd allow me to pay him in booze and hookers.

Comment

@self biased : Those GTS 450's can be had for under a hundred after rebate at lots of places. Newegg currently has it for $139 and it is totally not worth that. The GTX-460 768mb's are in the 140 and under range now (which sucks mine cost $160 2 months ago).

By the way, if you are willing to pay in booze and hookers then I have lots of stuff to sell you . No trannies, please.

useless update (no one is reading this any longer I suspect) : Newegg has a Galaxy GTX 460 768mb for $115 after MIR. That makes me physically ill. Galaxy is not exactly a brand I'm in love with but I'm sure it works.
                        Buy Galaxy 60XMH6HS3HMW GeForce GTX 460 (Fermi) GC 768MB 192-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card with fast shipping and top-rated customer service. Once you know, you Newegg!

Basically the same thing in the EVGA flavor for $139 after MIR
                        Buy EVGA FPB (Free Performance Boost) GeForce GTX 460 (Fermi) 768MB GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 SLI Support Video Card 768-P3-1360-TR with fast shipping and top-rated customer service. Once you know, you Newegg!

Looks like both of those come with free HAWX 2 for whatever that is worth.
                        Last edited by Burticus; November 18, 2010, 21:12.

Comment

From the benchmarking exercise cited in the first post:

"Civ 5 has given us benchmark results that quite honestly we have yet to fully appreciate. A tight clustering of results would normally indicate that we’re CPU bound, but the multi-GPU results – particularly for the AMD cards – turns this concept on its head by improving performance by 47% anyhow. The most telling results however are found in the GTX 460 cards, where there’s a clear jump in performance going form the 768MB card to the 1GB card, and again from the 1GB card to the EVGA card. The 1GB GTX only improves on memory, memory bandwidth, and ROPs, greatly narrowing down the factors. No one factor can explain our results, but we believe we’re almost simultaneously memory and geometry bound.

With that in mind, this is clearly a game that benefits NVIDIA’s GPUs right now when we’re looking at single-GPU performance. This likely comes down to NVIDIA’s greater geometry capabilities, but we’re not willing to rule out drivers quite yet, particularly when a partially CPU-bound game comes in to play.
                          "

So it's not too clear to Anandtech what is going on here, as I read this. Hmm.

Comment

Working...
                          X