No announcement yet.

Civ 5 GPU performance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What? I thought everybody knew you do that by checking how long it takes to bake an omelet on the GPU grille. n00b!

Comment

I fully intend to as soon as I figure out which one is the "Any key"
      Computer asks me to press it to start up.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	blah.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	51.0 KB
ID:	9089543

Here is the screenie.
        I normally do not run monitoring stuff. they stay in the BG and warn me if there is overheat or such.

I tried to take one with Civ 5 and my map in the BG but couldn't manage. If someone knows how, tell me. Windowed civ5 doesn't count...

Res is 1920x1200@59, all details are to the max (almost, except shadows)

I took it after playing the game for about 10 minutes. I was playing as France against 12 AI's in a gigantic Map and we are in the medieval era.

There is also a War going on...

Although this is pointless since I believe Ashen will claim I was running solitaire instead of Civ...

This will be the end of this thread for me since I do not possess the same abilities nor faculties as ashen on pissing against the wind subject. I think it has to do with the minuscule size of mine which I persistently try to overcompensate by bashing and trolling ppl on the forums.

It hasn't worked so far...

As a side note (I am gonna get flamed for this) 5800 series do have a higher clock speed and is generally a better card. However ATI drivers still after a decade are so bad. It makes no difference. Hence why I choose nVidia over and over. ATI cards have break neck clock speeds, since until 68xx series came out, it was the only way for them to keep up with stock nVidia.

nV chips just have more Flops capacity per cycle.

Comment

Originally posted by Zoetstofzoetje View Post
          What? I thought everybody knew you do that by checking how long it takes to bake an omelet on the GPU grille. n00b!
          I prefer Bacon... It is more challenging. And the added grease makes a better thermal compound for the future...

Comment

Originally posted by cpekerkan View Post
            [ATTACH=CONFIG]167808[/ATTACH]

Here is the screenie.
            I normally do not run monitoring stuff. they stay in the BG and warn me if there is overheat or such.

I tried to take one with Civ 5 and my map in the BG but couldn't manage. If someone knows how, tell me. Windowed civ5 doesn't count...

Res is 1920x1200@59, all details are to the max (almost, except shadows)

I took it after playing the game for about 10 minutes. I was playing as France against 12 AI's in a gigantic Map and we are in the medieval era.

There is also a War going on...

Although this is pointless since I believe Ashen will claim I was running solitaire instead of Civ...

This will be the end of this thread for me since I do not possess the same abilities nor faculties as ashen on pissing against the wind subject. I think it has to do with the minuscule size of mine which I persistently try to overcompensate by bashing and trolling ppl on the forums.

It hasn't worked so far...

As a side note (I am gonna get flamed for this) 5800 series do have a higher clock speed and is generally a better card. However ATI drivers still after a decade are so bad. It makes no difference. Hence why I choose nVidia over and over. ATI cards have break neck clock speeds, since until 68xx series came out, it was the only way for them to keep up with stock nVidia.

nV chips just have more Flops capacity per cycle.
            You have to be ****ing kidding me.

GeForce GTX 260 (your GPU) = 715 GFLOPS
            Radeon 5850 (my GPU) = 2000 GFLOPS

It's far more than just clock speeds, too. You clearly have no ****ing idea how GPUs work.

If your reporting apps are reporting only 40% GPU usage, then (ironically) it's probably an Nvidia driver bug. Any idiot who can look at the GPU benchmarks in this thread can clearly see the game scales very well with GPUs. If it's not even stressing your lowly GTX 260, obviously that would not compute.

Do you have any ability for critical thought?

(PS: Your GPU isn't even capable of all of the graphical features of Civ5, as it's only a DX10 card)

(PPS: The Radeon 5850 is 725MHz stock, the shaders in the GTX260 run at 1242MHz stock. Again, shows you've no idea what you're talking about.)
            Last edited by Asher; October 31, 2010, 18:48.
            "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
            Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

First, it is a GTX 275, not 260... (Biig difference)
              Second, real life and synthetic benchmarks are two very different animals. On a Benchmark, AMD Processor scores higher. Yet they are absolutely and beyond useless on a workstation and trailing a bit behind on office and such apps in real life.

I do not know your level of education and this is in no way meant to be demeaning to you. I refrain from insulting people I do not know. But in Comp Science (only 1 of my 3 majors) we had a unit about benchmarks. And it was about how to fool them...

As for how GPU works, I was designing distributed cross platform systems for telecomms mate. That is Virtualization for you. That was 10 years ago.... So, 3d gfx, i don't really care that much but I know how a CPU or FPU (GPU is just a FPU on steroids btw from the architecture standpoint) works.

Us comparing system loads is like comparing a car and a dishwasher based on taste alone. Our processors, chipsets, memory, everything is different. Even the OS and the security suites.

There is also the small matter of Civ 5 being an nVidia game. Civ usually is... Which means certain effects and such has to be emulated/ virtualized on your GPU while it makes native calls to mine, on the included and coded instruction sets. DX is the Microsoft standard but there are certain differences between NV and AMD Instruction sets.

Civ uses nothing specific for DX11, I run it DX 10, you do it in 11, and the API returns the exact same visual result. same effects and all.

You called me a liar, you called me an idiot, asked for proof which I provided. Now you are going on about bugs... You saw the screenshot, as the GPU temp and fan speed. Does it look like an overloaded GPU? Or are you going to claim that driver is so buggy, fan, utilization and temp monitors are all faulty?

Comment

You are both a liar and an idiot.

BTW, Tessellation is a DX11 feature that is not possible on your card. It's also a significant performance hog.

It's simply impossible for Civ 5 not to stress an underpowered card like yours when all of the benchmarks will show you that Civ5 scales VERY well to graphics cards, and ALSO that other people can demonstrate FAR higher GPU usage with FAR faster GPUs.

This isn't an ATI vs Nvidia thing -- which I also suspect I could school you on if we were to go into depth for architectures -- it's a simple fact that you're either getting faulty information from your driver (which any intelligent person would obviously recognize), or you're lying about it.

You could probably fool most people here, but virtually everything you've said is patently wrong in one way or another. From your talk about FLOPS to clock speed to DX11 features that are or aren't in Civ, it doesn't matter. You've clearly the most superficial understanding of the subject, you're making ridiculous statements, and you're hoping to get away with it.
                "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."

Comment

There's no need for name-calling here. Just make your point(s) and get on with it.

Comment

It's impossible to make points against people who aren't here for honest debate. People who come in here spouting bull**** as fact, then refuse to back down when confronted on it, deserve what they get.

There's nothing that annoys me more than ignorant people who feign knowledge, then continue to bull**** when called on it.

Comment

I wonder what makes you such a bitter and spiteful person Asher? Did he touch you on your special pee-pee place when you were a kid?

I was debating in a perfectly civilized manner, you however are not living up to a H.Sap. standard.

You keep calling me a liar yet unable to provide counter argument nor proof for your side of the issue, where I have done so against my better judgment. You keep saying "benchmarks" and "scales very good" yet unable to or unwilling to read what I say and process it.

Comment

Just to be clear, he has provided the proof, all you provide are the pedophile jokes. By the way, and I hope I'm not treading on anyone else's territory when I say this, I wanted to make it clear on record that the penis is used for more than urination.

Comment

If you guys want to argue, fine... but leave the personal insults out. This is NOT the off topic forum. So be civil, or take it somewhere else.
                          Keep on Civin'
                          RIP rah, Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Originally posted by cpekerkan View Post
                            I wonder what makes you such a bitter and spiteful person Asher? Did he touch you on your special pee-pee place when you were a kid?

I was debating in a perfectly civilized manner, you however are not living up to a H.Sap. standard.

You keep calling me a liar yet unable to provide counter argument nor proof for your side of the issue, where I have done so against my better judgment. You keep saying "benchmarks" and "scales very good" yet unable to or unwilling to read what I say and process it.
                            What you say doesn't make any sense and is factually incorrect. I guess at this point I don't even need to make a comment about why you can't comprehend it, I'm sure most people here know what I'm thinking.

Comment

Here's a benchmark for the card you claim to have running what you claim to be acceptable framerates at the resolution you claim to be using, where your claim the GPU isn't even being stressed at all (barely hits 40%).

1920x1200 High Performance. Civilization V benchmarks and performance analysis -- Sid Meier's Civilization V is a classic example of what many like to call a '4X' game, as players manage...

Keep in mind the same CPU is used in every single one of those benchmarks. It should be patently clear that the GPU is a bottleneck, especially a wimpy one like the GTX 275. It should also be patently clear that if it's true your card was only using 40% of its power (at peak), it doesn't make any sense that faster cards with more performance overhead perform many times faster than yours.

I'm going to highlight the last paragraph for you:
                              We witnessed similar performance trends at 1920x1200, though the GeForce GTS 450 was 2fps slower than the Radeon HD 5830, which averaged 28fps, placing both products below the 30fps threshold.

The Radeon HD 5850 averaged 32fps while the 5870 provided 37fps. The GeForce GTX 460 still broke the 40fps barrier with 43fps, while the GTX 470 and 480 averaged 47 and 49 frames, respectively.

Previous generation AMD and Nvidia graphics cards failed to provide playable performance when using high quality in-game settings and the GeForce GTX 200 series was unusually slow.

BTW, the "big difference" between the GTX 260 and GTX 275 you mentioned is 1 frame per second.
                              Last edited by Asher; November 1, 2010, 10:11.

Comment

give it a rest already

Comment

Working...
                                X