X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why does Ramesses speak in Arabic?

That's Arabic. That's not Coptic.
    "Flutie was better than Kelly, Elway, Esiason and Cunningham." - Ben Kenobi
    "I have nothing against Wilson, but he's nowhere near the same calibre of QB as Flutie. Flutie threw for 5k+ yards in the CFL." -Ben Kenobi

Did the Faraoh's speak coptic? Didn't the copts came later?
    Arabic is defenitely not good.
    Formerly known as "CyberShy"
    Carpe Diem tamen Memento Mori

Comment

Well Coptic is supposed to be a derivation of the ancient Egyptian language. The only thing is, I imagine it would be impossible to get a Coptic voice actor though they apparently did find one for Aztec so who knows what Firaxis/2K are capable of.
      "I have nothing against Wilson, but he's nowhere near the same calibre of QB as Flutie. Flutie threw for 5k+ yards in the CFL." -Ben Kenobi

Comment

Originally posted by Al B. Sure! View Post
        Well Coptic is supposed to be a derivation of the ancient Egyptian language. The only thing is, I imagine it would be impossible to get a Coptic voice actor though they apparently did find one for Aztec so who knows what Firaxis/2K are capable of.
        Well there are still speakers of Nahuatl around so that isn't so difficult, but far fewer speakers of the Ancient Egyptian dialect
        Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

Doesn't sound like Arabic to me.
          Captain of Team Apolyton - ISDG 2012

When I was younger I thought curfews were silly, but now as the daughter of a young woman, I appreciate them. - Rah

Comment

It should be Coptic if it is not. Coptic is the closest to native Egyptian one can come today. But it is definitely too late for such changes now.
            Do not fear, for I am with you; Do not anxiously look about you, for I am your God.-Isaiah 41:10
            I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made - Psalms 139.14a
            Also active on WePlayCiv.

Comment

Originally posted by OzzyKP View Post
              Doesn't sound like Arabic to me.
              Really though?

My knowledge of Arabic is very limited but I can recognize specific words that I highly doubt are in ancient Egyptian.

For one, he says 'ana Ramesses' that can only be "I am Ramesses" and then he says something about father of something. I can't make it out because I don't know Arabic but I can definitely tell it is Arabic. Probably an Egyptian dialect.

Comment

Without knowledge of ancient Egyptian or Coptic, how can you be sure? It's possible the specific words you recognize are just similar-sounding to certain Arabic words than it actually being Arabic.
                Tutto nel mondo è burla

Comment

Ana Ramesses does really translate to "I am Ramesses" from Arabic. Phonetically, the bit sounds very Arabic, and there are other distinguishable words, like "in Allah" (sounding more like "illah", but Arabic isn't too definite on the phonetic of vowels), "abu" . I'm pretty sure, Sure is right on this one.
                  "The world is too small in Vorarlberg". Austrian ex-vice-chancellor Hubert Gorbach in a letter to Alistar [sic] Darling, looking for a job...
                  "Let me break this down for you, fresh from algebra II. A 95% chance to win 5 times means a (95*5) chance to win = 475% chance to win." Wiglaf, Court jester or hayseed, you judge.

Comment

Basically because 2K was to lazy to do it right.
                    Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

That's Arabic for sure. Masr (or Misr) is the Arabic word for Egypt btw.
                      "An archaeologist is the best husband a women can have; the older she gets, the more interested he is in her." - Agatha Christie
                      "Non mortem timemus, sed cogitationem mortis." - Seneca

Comment

How many Arabic words are borrowed from ancient Egyptian (or Coptic) though?
                        I'm consitently stupid- Japher
                        I think that opinion in the United States is decidedly different from the rest of the world because we have a free press -- by free, I mean a virgorously presented right wing point of view on the air and available to all.- Ned

Comment

Originally posted by Theben View Post
                          How many Arabic words are borrowed from ancient Egyptian (or Coptic) though?
                          Why would there be many? Especially something as basic as "I am" or "father". Maybe Egyptian Arabic has some loanwords from Coptic but standard Arabic wouldn't at all.

Trust me on this. That is Arabic. I know it well enough to identify it. I'll get a native speaker (albeit not Egyptian) to translate it if it'll make all you guys feel better.

It is Arabic.

Comment

I was right of course.

I have confirmation from a native Arabic speaker born and raised in Iraq. It is Arabic and it translates to:

"Regards! I am Ramesses the God. I am a live representation of Egypt, the mother and father of all civilizations"

She also translated Harun al-Rashid's:

"Hello, Persian, I am Harun al-Rashid, I am the successor of the Arabs, come to me and tell me about your empire"

Kind of weird that he says Hello, Persian but presumably the player controlled civ would be Persia in that video.
                            Last edited by Al B. Sure!; August 2, 2010, 21:15.

Comment

I know this is kind of a douche question to ask, but really, who cares? They're all Foreign to me.
                              If there is no sound in space, how come you can hear the lasers?
                              ){ :|:& };:

Comment

Working...
                              X