Why does Ramesses speak in Arabic?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Boris Godunov View Post
    Do the Arab Egyptians claim ancestry from the Ancient Egyptians? I'm not aware that they do, so that wouldn't be an issue, as far as I know. What would be an issue is that Coptic Christianity, despite Egypt's supposed religious tolerance, is a bit oppressed.
    I wouldn't really know, but there's probably more arab egyptians descended from ancient egyptians than copt egyptians descended from arab egyptians. I'd wager that the vast majority of arab egyptians are descended from the native population, and converted when arab became the governing religion.
    Indifference is Bliss

Comment

Originally posted by Shogun Gunner View Post
      Or, they can re purpose some Boris and Natasha cartoon graphics. That should work.
      Russia declares war on moose and squirrel.

Comment

Originally posted by Wernazuma III View Post
        Shouldn't she speak Russian with a German accent?
        No, she spoke perfect Russian, according to the contemporaries.
        Graffiti in a public toilet
        Do not require skill or wit
        Among the **** we all are poets
        Among the poets we are ****.

Comment

Hm, I dont see what the advantage is if they are speaking their true language. Does Civ V pretend to teach you different languages? But maybe it is done to create an atmosphere, so you feel you are abroad. Only thing I can think of.

Personally, I dont care. In Hollywood WWII movies "Dutch" people are talking German!
          Then they'd better let them speak English please....
          Formerly known as campmajor! or Campmajor
          Did not play CIV IV because of performance issues
          New PC arrived about 13th of August, so CIV IV is finally playable for me! :)

Comment

Originally posted by campm@jor View Post
            Hm, I dont see what the advantage is if they are speaking their true language. Does Civ V pretend to teach you different languages? But maybe it is done to create an atmosphere, so you feel you are abroad. Only thing I can think of.

Personally, I dont care. In Hollywood WWII movies "Dutch" people are talking German!
            Then they'd better let them speak English please....
            Yeah...I was kind of hoping that the Sid Meier's Civilization franchise would hold itself to a higher standard than Jerry Bruckheimer.
            Last edited by jkp1187; September 1, 2010, 23:42. Reason: typo
            "The nation that controls magnesium controls the universe."

-Matt Groenig

Comment

Originally posted by N35t0r View Post
              I wouldn't really know, but there's probably more arab egyptians descended from ancient egyptians than copt egyptians descended from arab egyptians. I'd wager that the vast majority of arab egyptians are descended from the native population, and converted when arab became the governing religion.
              I'm assuming that by "copt egyptians descended from arab egyptians" you mean Coptic Egyptians descended from Ancient Egyptians, so that your argument makes some sense. In any case, it doesn't matter who the Arab and Coptic Egyptians were descended from. What matters is whether the Coptic language or the Arabic language is more closely related to the Ancient Egyptian language. Race and religion do not always correspond with language. Also, Arabic is is a race and language, but not a religion. You're probably thinking of Islam.

Comment

n35tor's whole sentence doesn't make any sense.
                "Flutie was better than Kelly, Elway, Esiason and Cunningham." - Ben Kenobi
                "I have nothing against Wilson, but he's nowhere near the same calibre of QB as Flutie. Flutie threw for 5k+ yards in the CFL." -Ben Kenobi

Comment

I too am upset at Rameses II speaking Arabic. If they couldn't reconstruct the ancient Egyptian language, Coptic would have sufficed.

Also, it's odd that while everyone is complaining about Rameses speaking Arabic, almost no one has commented on the fact that his skin is depicted as white. The ancient Egyptians would have been darker-skinned in reality.

Comment

Originally posted by Taharqa View Post
                    I too am upset at Rameses II speaking Arabic. If they couldn't reconstruct the ancient Egyptian language, Coptic would have sufficed.

Also, it's odd that while everyone is complaining about Rameses speaking Arabic, almost no one has commented on the fact that his skin is depicted as white. The ancient Egyptians would have been darker-skinned in reality.
                    Oh GOD! Not this!

Taharqa (your namesake was Black, as much as Sudanese are Black [A lot of Sudanese and Ethiopians, modern day Nubians, are fairly light-skinned actually]), real talk, no...

This is Tut's chest...

http://www.nilemuse.com/muse/TutBoxB.lg.html#chestFront

Go to the URL to see the enlarged picture:

It depicts King Tut on a chariot with his Egyptian army behind him fighting the Nubians.

What strikes out? The Egyptians are swarthy while the Nubians are depicted completely black. Why the difference if the Egyptians were not Mediterranean?
                    "I have nothing against Wilson, but he's nowhere near the same calibre of QB as Flutie. Flutie threw for 5k+ yards in the CFL." -Ben Kenobi

Comment

If you insist on taking Egyptian art's color schemes at face value, those Egyptians are still darker than the white Rameses Firaxis gave us, and I've seen many African-Americans with that kind of medium brown complexion.

Even if the ancient Egyptians weren't the exact same skin color as the Nubians, they were still tropically adapted and therefore would have been dark-skinned enough to be considered "black" by Americans today.

Comment

Originally posted by Taharqa View Post
                        If you insist on taking Egyptian art's color schemes at face value, those Egyptians are still darker than the white Rameses Firaxis gave us, and I've seen many African-Americans with that kind of medium brown complexion.

Even if the ancient Egyptians weren't the exact same skin color as the Nubians, they were still tropically adapted and therefore would have been dark-skinned enough to be considered "black" by Americans today.
                        African-Americans are mixed. And who cares about what is considered Black by a society in which being 1/8th Black meant you were 3/5ths of a person!

I'm not getting in this debate with you. You are just wrong and I wish you would either go to Egypt, talk to an actual Egyptian, or just take me at face value and believe me when I say you're wrong.

Comment

Whether you like it or not, osteological analyses of ancient Egyptian remains have shown that they were tropically adapted like "black" Africans.

---Trinkaus, E. "Neanderthal limb proportions and cold adaptation." In Aspects of Human Evolution. Edited by C. B. Stringer., 187-224. London: Taylor & Francis, 1981. (circles and colored text mine)

Notice how the limb proportions of the ancient Egyptians are more similar to tropical, dark-skinned populations such as Melanesians and Central African pygmies than even subtropical desert populations like the Bushmen and Southwest Native Americans, never mind Mediterranean peoples like the Yugoslavs.

A quote from another study:

The raw values in Table 6 suggest that Egyptians had the “super-Negroid” [i.e. tropically adapted] body plan described by Robins (1983). The values for the brachial and crural indices show that the distal segments of each limb are longer relative to the proximal segments than in many “African” populations (data from Aiello and Dean, 1990). This pattern is supported by Figure 7 (a plot of population mean femoral and tibial lengths; data from Ruff, 1994), which indicates that the Egyptians generally have tropical body plans.
                          ---Zakrzewski, Sonia R. "Variation in Ancient Egyptian Stature and Body Proportions." American Journal of Physical Anthropology 121 (2003): 219-29.

These limb proportion studies are significant because they show that the ancestors of the ancient Egyptians would have originated from a tropical region (e.g. Sudan or the Horn of Africa) before migrating northward to Egypt relatively recently. We can infer from this that they would have been dark-skinned as an adaptation to tropical levels of ultraviolet radiation. Therefore, they would have been what we would call "black".

As for modern Egyptians, Egypt has received many waves of immigrants from Europe and Southwest Asia over the last three millennia, beginning with the Hyksos in the Second Intermediate Period, so lighter-skinned people in Egypt today no more represent the ancient population than Mexican mestizos represent the Aztecs or other pre-Columbian Mesoamericans. They are even more mixed than African-Americans.

Comment

Yugoslavs?! Why don't you compare it to Arabs?

Comment

I'm not having this argument... because you won't listen because you're too caught up in Afrocentric Racism... Stealing MY PEOPLE'S CULTURE AND CIVILIZATION!

Comment

To see what the poster Taharqa really looks like

I'll just say this, he's definitely not Black
                                Last edited by Al B. Sure!; September 12, 2010, 00:23.

Comment

Working...
                                X