No announcement yet.

Civilization V and Deluxe Edition available on Steam in September

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I am really happy it is through Steam. I actually rebought all of Civ through Steam recently.

JM
    Jon Miller-
    I AM.CANADIAN
    GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

Originally posted by Jon Miller View Post
      I am really happy it is through Steam. I actually rebought all of Civ through Steam recently.

JM
      How?

I've been trying to buy all Civ series at Steam, but I can't find it at the steam store... Maybe is it something country-related? I'm from Brazil.
      Anyway, I couldn't connect to steam support to get some answers, because the confirmation e-mail never came. After three or four attempts, I quitted...

This is, so far, the dark side of steam: support is weird.
      RIAA sucks
      The Optimistas
      I'm a political cartoonist

Comment

I got my Civ 3 Complete at gamersgate ($4.95!) which is a Swedish company originally set up to sell Paradox games (Europa Universalis, Hearts of Iron, etc.) but it's grown beyond that now. Maybe that might work for you?
        "Flutie was better than Kelly, Elway, Esiason and Cunningham." - Ben Kenobi
        "I have nothing against Wilson, but he's nowhere near the same calibre of QB as Flutie. Flutie threw for 5k+ yards in the CFL." -Ben Kenobi

Comment

Originally posted by wodan11 View Post
          Here's a question... is the latter your conclusion?

I can easily see how "the physical copy will include steam" might mean "you can EITHER have the disc in your machine OR run through Steam" which, frankly, would probably make the entire player base very happy, whereas "you have to use Steam always" is a totally different situation.
          Well, yes, this is pretty important. The "you have to use Steam always" scenario is gonna have me flipping the bird to the developers and walking away. Which is the way you presented it. I haven't looked at whatever source you're claiming to be taking this info from since I don't know where it is, and I don't look up Twitter feeds. But think carefully: does it specifically state that the game will mandate the use of Steam? I've already gone on a rant about Steam on two other sites on account of reading your (Robert Plomp's) post. If you're wrong, you could have saved me a lot of hours of grief and swearing by being more accurate.

Comment

Well I went to the source (the Twitter feed) and honestly I don't think it's conclusive. There's a strong implication that you have to always run Steam (because of a response talking about how there's an "offline mode in Steam" so you don't have to have an internet connection) but I don't think it precludes the other option totally.

Comment

Keep on it, wodan, if you can. I would hate to miss out on CivV because of an interpretation error about Steam. But I will not play a game that requires third-party connection, even in an "off-line" mode. Thanks.
              No matter where you go, there you are. - Buckaroo Banzai
              "I played it [Civilization] for three months and then realised I hadn't done any work. In the end, I had to delete all the saved files and smash the CD." Iain Banks, author

Comment

Well mostly I'm hoping it's a case of "reading too much" into what was said. But it may just be wishful thinking.

Comment

This makes it sound like it'll be pretty much tied to Steam whatever version you buy.

Sid Meier's Civilization V players will enjoy the benefits of the Steamworks' features included in all PC versions, such as auto-updating, Steam Achievements, downloadable content, ability to access from any computer*, multiplayer matchmatching and more.

Comment

Per 2K, Steam is required no matter which version you buy. It is not optional, you will have to have a Steam account to play. Even for single player games.

The "benefits" they are touting make no sense to me, since I don't want achievements, nor do I play online.

I am skipping this release. Maybe they'll do better for Civ 6.

Comment

I would've rather bought a physical copy with no DRM (one can dream right?) but I don't mind steam that much really.. never had an issue with it and I've got a few other games through it already so it'll be a buy for me. Just not sure if I'm getting it straight through Steam or if I'll get a physical copy anyway though.

Comment

Ummm, is purchase from Steam restricted only to certain countries? I can't find the info online.

Comment

Originally posted by LaRusso View Post
                          Ummm, is purchase from Steam restricted only to certain countries? I can't find the info online.
                          I've seen people saying they can't order it from Brazil for some reason so yeah.. I guess it's only available to certain countries

Comment

I am hoping that this means I will be able to play the same copy on the Mac and PC.

JM
                            Jon Miller-
                            I AM.CANADIAN
                            GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

Working...
                            X