Civilization V and Deluxe Edition available on Steam in September

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Aro View Post
    You have an account, in fact, more than a game. You need to install the Steam client first, then download the game using the Steam client. You start the game from inside your Steam client. And you don't have to be online to play the game. There's an option to run Steam offline. But you need to be online eventually, to upgrade the damn client. No more than that. You're allowed to download the game in every computer you are using at the moment, in the same way.

I can play my games (I have three at steam) here at my studio or at home, or using my notebook, if I'm travelling, or at my friend's place, and so on...

Steam is nice, IMO...
    Thanks! Does playing 'inside the client' mean a loss of speed of the game, or is it neutral when it comes to computer specs?

Comment

I'm totally opposed to the "tiered purchase" bull**** that has infected the game designers mindsets. They need to set a fair price for what they've produced and forget these gimmicks that lead to player distrust.
      Last edited by SpencerH; May 8, 2010, 14:02. Reason: second thoughts
      We need seperate human-only games for MP/PBEM that dont include the over-simplifications required to have a good AI
      If any man be thirsty, let him come unto me and drink. Vampire 7:37
      Just one old soldiers opinion. E Tenebris Lux. Pax quaeritur bello.

Comment

You guys are worried to much. Steam is pretty unobtrusive. It's really great that you don't have to worry about CDs anymore.
        "Yay Apoc!!!!!!!" - bipolarbear
        "At least there were some thoughts went into Apocalypse." - Urban Ranger
        "Apocalype was a great game." - DrSpike
        "In Apoc, I had one soldier who lasted through the entire game... was pretty cool. I like apoc for that reason, the soldiers are a bit more 'personal'." - General Ludd

Comment

Steam doesn't work well on my current computer for some reason. When it does work, it's awesome.

I'd prefer alternatives, like D2D or Impulse.
          John Brown did nothing wrong.

Comment

According to the CivGame twitter (official) the game will be released as a physical copy and as a steam download. The physical copy will include steam. All games will therefore work though steamworks.
            Formerly known as "CyberShy"
            Carpe Diem tamen Memento Mori

Comment

Originally posted by LaRusso View Post
              Thanks! Does playing 'inside the client' mean a loss of speed of the game, or is it neutral when it comes to computer specs?
              Neutral, I suppose. It's more like an expensive shortcut. In fact, the Steam client is using 15,500 K of my memory... But it's not too much. I have both versions (boxed and steam) and I've never noticed any mensurable difference...
              RIAA sucks
              The Optimistas
              I'm a political cartoonist

Comment

Originally posted by Robert Plomp View Post
                According to the CivGame twitter (official) the game will be released as a physical copy and as a steam download. The physical copy will include steam. All games will therefore work though steamworks.

Well this is great! I always try to get the hard copy, but sometimes it's not easy do it here in my country. Or, at least, takes some time... The delay can be something like two/three months!
                RIAA sucks
                The Optimistas

Comment

Originally posted by Aro View Post
                  Well this is great! I always try to get the hard copy, but sometimes it's not easy do it here in my country. Or, at least, takes some time... The delay can be something like two/three months!
                  Can't you just order it online?

Comment

As expected then. Might have been a bit of an overreaction from the community, but I can understand why some are worried. I've had trouble with Steam myself, it can be annoying. But it's slowly getting better.
                    Civlegacy - Civilization V web site | Forums

Comment

Originally posted by wodan11 View Post
                      Can't you just order it online?

Sometimes, yes... Sometimes I don't. There are "restrictions" eventually...
                      I'm looking for some place where I can preorder AND they send it to Brazil. Btw, due to taxes policies, I have to pay almost the same value in taxes. In other words: I'll pay 100 USD for my copy, idf I get one...

Flash news: Ok, preordered at CD Universe... Final cost: US$61.95 plus US$40 in taxes. As I said, ~100 USD.

Now I have both... Two times. I bought Steam, too... I'll give one for my son.
                      Last edited by Aro; May 10, 2010, 09:33. Reason: More info
                      RIAA sucks
                      The Optimistas

Comment

Wow. That's a lot of tax.

Comment

Originally posted by gribbler View Post
                          Wow. That's a lot of tax.
                          Yep. On the other hands, there's no taxes for books or medication, for exemple, and a lot of other things. But they don't think games are important. The bastards!
                          Anyway, soon or later the game will be released here, but it takes time... And I'll buy it.

I spent a lot of money with Civ. I have two copies of Civ II, three of Civ III (one of them the golden edition, or something like that) plus expansions, two hard copies of Civ IV (one from CD Universe, the other released here four months later), and all expansions packs, and BTS at Steam.

I'm hopeless.
                          Last edited by Aro; May 10, 2010, 10:13. Reason: typos
                          RIAA sucks
                          The Optimistas

Comment

The nice thing about buying it in bricks and mortar retail is that it makes a good christmas/birthday gift (if you can wait that long).
                            Some of my family aren't to tech savvy, if I asked for a gift certificate for steam, they'd look at me like i was a freak

Comment

Well ****. Guess I'll be back when Civ 6 is about ready to come out then. Have fun, folks.

Comment

Here's a question... is the latter your conclusion?

I can easily see how "the physical copy will include steam" might mean "you can EITHER have the disc in your machine OR run through Steam" which, frankly, would probably make the entire player base very happy, whereas "you have to use Steam always" is a totally different situation.

Comment

Working...
                                X