No announcement yet.

Civ V - Working The Land

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wasn't only river squares where it helped? Or other squares that already had trade.
    It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
    RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

i think that's right, rah. it's been ages since i've played civ2.
      I wasn't born with enough middle fingers.
      [Brandon Roderick? You mean Brock's Toadie?][Hanged from Yggdrasil]

Comment

Originally posted by rah View Post
        Wasn't only river squares where it helped? Or other squares that already had trade.
        And plains/grassland/desert squares.
        I'm consitently stupid- Japher
        I think that opinion in the United States is decidedly different from the rest of the world because we have a free press -- by free, I mean a virgorously presented right wing point of view on the air and available to all.- Ned

Comment

Was basically all "flat" squares that didn't have river -- grassland, prairie, desert.

Removing commerce and replacing it with collection of gold and science? How exactly does one "collect" science? Surely they wouldn't put that strictly in terms of static city modifiers like libraries. That would encourage REX too greatly, or completely trivialize and homogenize tech development rate.

Comment

roads added one trade to all "flat" tiles and to tiles which already produced trade (incl. rivers).

So grass: 0 trade, grass/road: 1 trade, grass/river: 1 trade, grass/river/road: 2 trade, hill: 0 trade, hill/road: 0 trade, hill/river: 1 trade hill/river/road: 2 trade
            Indifference is Bliss

Comment

Originally posted by Ming View Post
              They need a different game... we are talking civ FIVE. So they will make a lot of changes to make it different, and then correct for their mistakes in later patches and expansion packs. We've seen it before, and we will see it again. By the final patch and expansion pack, we should have a great game
              I am afraid we will have a great game by civ 6 in five years time, this will be like Vista... it needed to become 7, and all other major redesigns... I am content with BTS, and that will have to do... IMO this will be worse than Civ III when it came out, as I actually liked Civ III, but after a while stopped... while BTS is a great game and I can see myself playing from time to time while waiting for Civ VI ... hope I am wrong though
              Socrates: "Good is That at which all things aim, If one knows what the good is, one will always do what is good." Brian: "Romanes eunt domus"
              GW 2013: "and juistin bieber is gay with me and we have 10 kids we live in u.s.a in the white house with obama"

Comment

Intresting thread!

1 let there be 3 kinds of roads, dirt road, regulair road and highway.
                2 Maintnance cost make sense, so includ this into the game
                3 road DOES give something extra (that makes sense) so add a bonus (gold or commerce
                4 Railroads cost lot of money to maintain, and they exist next to other roads. I never understand that when you build RR's the regulair road disapears. But they should give a huge movement bonus. Perhaps they could bring in the train as well (like ships)

This way, they reduce road spam on the map, and it does looks better and perhaps even more natural, if you have different kinds of roads. (and offcourse you need a tech to build a better road)
                Civilization is a game where man dominate a fictive world.. woman does it for real

Comment

Actually, differentiating local roads used to haul cargo and produce around and military-grade roads used for fast troop movement and communication is a great idea... after all, when was a mine built with no access to a city (or port to then ship the minerals to a city)? Or an area farmed extensively and then the food left to rot because there is no way to get all that food to consumers?
                  Indifference is Bliss

Comment

Does it really matter if artillery is placed on mountans or hills in Civ V? It was suppose to be important but it should be difficult to get it there, and the reward should be nice

Comment

Originally posted by OneFootInTheGrave View Post
                      I am afraid we will have a great game by civ 6 in five years time, this will be like Vista... it needed to become 7, and all other major redesigns... I am content with BTS, and that will have to do... IMO this will be worse than Civ III when it came out, as I actually liked Civ III, but after a while stopped... while BTS is a great game and I can see myself playing from time to time while waiting for Civ VI ... hope I am wrong though
                      Wow months to go till release and you've already given up. Everything sounds great to me!
                      Captain of Team Apolyton - ISDG 2012

When I was younger I thought curfews were silly, but now as the daughter of a young woman, I appreciate them. - Rah

Comment

Having an ongoing maint. cost for roads would solve road spam in a very realistic way.
                        This makes the most sense of all rah

As Ming also stated, this is CIV FIVE, not the older versions.

The look of railroads from one end to the other of amap didnt seem realistic, however, many roads do help transportation but with a penalty of sorts, such as maint. cost, after all, realistic is upkeep would be signifigant on any road system.

It would be probably kind of hard, but being from New England, winter travel is often hazardous,has anyone here played Commander:Europe at War? When attacking Russia, in winter, a severe penalty of movement is incurred, would be nice if tthis was the occassion in CIV FIVE, plus random events such as winter snow storms to include blizzard/whiteout conditions, spring flooding, perhaps tornadic activity...but maybe too much for an engine to handle?

Just a thought.......

Grandpa Troll
                        Hi, I'm RAH and I'm a Benaholic.-rah

Comment

Originally posted by Grandpa Troll View Post
                          T
                          The look of railroads from one end to the other of amap didnt seem realistic, however, many roads do help transportation but with a penalty of sorts, such as maint. cost, after all, realistic is upkeep would be signifigant on any road system.
                          Grandpa Troll
                          If you look at a map of the US with railroads and even just the major roads overlayed on it and it would be much more cluttered than your regular civ IV map.
                          It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
                          RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

If you look at a map of the US with railroads and even just the major roads overlayed on it and it would be much more cluttered than your regular civ IV map.
                            Roads in Civ do NOT represent a single bleepin' "road". They are whole NETWORKS of roads!

Well, once you get into the industrial age, at least.

Comment

Originally posted by Jaybe View Post
                              Roads in Civ do NOT represent a single bleepin' "road". They are whole NETWORKS of roads!

Well, once you get into the industrial age, at least.
                              That doesn't change my point. For all the people that ***** about how it looks, it's still better than reality.
                              RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

You will discover that roads are a strategic military resource. Especially when my rifleman sits atop a hill and it's ZOC crosses your road.

HAHAHA Bomb that road?

Comment

Working...
                                X