Civ V - Working The Land

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Civ V - Working The Land

Another interesting curiosity about this new iteration of Civ is how terrain improvement is going to work, especially in light of the information regarding the no-stacking-rule, and whether we will move to a system that doesn't use workers but perhaps some sort of points system that you would accumulate allowing you to execute terrain enhancements such as mines, roads, etc.

I think with some of the ideas discussed here, for example, the discussion of only being able to specifically build roads between different cities and such locations rather than sprawl the map in roads could be achieved through this method. I believe (although I have to think back a long way) that this system was used in the ghastly Call to Power series, but conceptually, I think it would be a good idea and still allows the micromanagement to those who like that, but also a large level of automation too. And also mean it is less of a pain to those who get fed up of shuffling tons of workers around, seeing what the optimum placement is. And perhaps also allow a more effective means of queuing than just telling a worker a stack of orders to perform.

Personally I think this would be a good way to go, although of course this is only speculation. What do you all think?
    Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Workers will be stackable, AFAIK
    Let us be lazy in everything, except in loving and drinking, except in being lazy – Lessing

Comment

CTP did not use the roads only between cities concept. That was only introduced in the craptastic Civ:Rev game for consols. BTW CTP2 was actually a great game which I played far more then Civ3 and it beats the pants off of a crap game like Civ: Rev.
      Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

I think I read somewhere that you can not have more than one unit of the same type on any given tile but you can have, one military unit, one worker and one great person for example on the same tile.

Also they have confirmed that roads will give penalty to resources on tiles that they pass from, that is why you would want to keep them to the bare minimum (only to connect cities)
        Quendelie axan!

Comment

A penalty for having a road on a tile sounds a bit harsh on the other hand. It would be nice to try a different model to the worker stack marauding around the countryside building things
          Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

There is something wrong with a forum when OTers are stuck talking game strategy.
            You just wasted six ... no, seven ... seconds of your life reading this sentence.

Comment

Originally posted by Sir Og View Post
              Also they have confirmed that roads will give penalty to resources on tiles that they pass from, that is why you would want to keep them to the bare minimum (only to connect cities)
              A penalty to having roads in a tile? Are they kidding?
              I'm consitently stupid- Japher
              I think that opinion in the United States is decidedly different from the rest of the world because we have a free press -- by free, I mean a virgorously presented right wing point of view on the air and available to all.- Ned

Comment

I do find that very odd. I like the old style of roads adding to commerce and mobility because it just made sense.
                Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

Originally posted by Sir Og View Post
                  I think I read somewhere that you can not have more than one unit of the same type on any given tile but you can have, one military unit, one worker and one great person for example on the same tile.
                  The way I read it was max 1 military unit (with potentially no limit to any non-military units).

That DOES seem strange (and is something I have not heard before)! Note the one road we have seen connected a city to a resource.

I had been assuming that roads would only connect cities with other cities and with resources.

Comment

With the city radius expanded to 3 tiles, giving a penalty to non-resource/city hexs would bring the number of productive hexs back to a more familiar number.
                    Founder of The Glory of War, CHAMPIONS OF APOLYTON!!!
                    1992-Perot , 1996-Perot , 2000-Bush , 2004-Bush :|, 2008-Obama :|, 2012-Obama , 2016-Clinton , 2020-Biden

Comment

Originally posted by Theben View Post
                      It makes sense if roads become a choice much like mines or farms.
                      We need seperate human-only games for MP/PBEM that dont include the over-simplifications required to have a good AI
                      If any man be thirsty, let him come unto me and drink. Vampire 7:37
                      Just one old soldiers opinion. E Tenebris Lux. Pax quaeritur bello.

Comment

Originally posted by Theben View Post
                        IIRC the quote was: If a road passes through a resource it will yield less. (or something along those lines)
                        Their idea is to limit the number of roads. To make them more important. It probably makes sense to have less roads in the context of all the other changes.
                        Quendelie axan!

Comment

But why would you want to limit the number of roads? How could trade reduce output of a tile?
                          If there is no sound in space, how come you can hear the lasers?
                          ){ :|:& };:

Comment

TBH, I never really had a problem with tons of roads/RRs. As long as you make 'em look nice, or not too bad, it's okay.

The whole point of roads is to increase the productivity of the place it passes through!! You know, quicker transport so less produce spoils, increase in traffic and commerce, that sort of thing?

The more I read about civ5, the more I think I'll be playing Civ4 for a long time.
                            I'm consitently stupid- Japher
                            I think that opinion in the United States is decidedly different from the rest of the world because we have a free press -- by free, I mean a virgorously presented right wing point of view on the air and available to all.- Ned

Comment

I'm not sure how I feel about this mechanic. Road spam was always dumb but at the same time the convenience it adds to the game helps to make it more fun.

Comment

Working...
                              X