Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Would you buy Civ5 if it was only offered on Steam?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Would you buy Civ5 if it was only offered on Steam?

I personally hate Steam as well as any other system which makes you log in to their server before you can even launch the game on your own desk top so if the game is only offered on Steam then I won't be buying it. Plus I just like having a CD in my hand which I can use even if my internet is out or I'm in the middle of no where on my laptop.

edit by RP: piracy is not an option
    I love Steam!
    22.00%
    I hate Steam and won't buy anything they offer.
    36.00%
    I would prefer something else but if Steam is the only option I will still buy it.
    36.00%
    Banana
    6.00%
    Last edited by Robert; March 10, 2010, 09:44.
    Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Originally posted by Oerdin View Post
    I personally hate Steam as well as any other system which makes you log in to their server before you can even launch the game on your own desk top so if the game is only offered on Steam then I won't be buying it. Plus I just like having a CD in my hand which I can use even if my internet is out or I'm in the middle of no where on my laptop.
    Simply not true. Steam allows you to put a game into offline mode so you can play without an internet connection. The only time an internet connection is required is initial install (gotta download it) and first time playing (to register the game). After that simply put Steam into offline mode. Considering the CD/DVD will probably require you to activate online anyways (most games are going that way now for DRM) there's really no difference.

The only time you would need an internet connection all the time is if the publisher put that in as part of the DRM. That will affect you on a DVD as well.

Comment

Since there is no way they would ever only offer civ5 on Steam this thread isn't really about civ5. You just wanted an excuse to rant about Steam on the civ5 forum. What a clever ruse!

Comment

I hope they continue to offer it via D2D... They have my total support. Any game that I want, if they offer it, I will buy through them. Their customer support is excellent and I've never had an issue with them.
        Keep on Civin'
        RIP rah, Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

What if you could only use Euros to buy Civ5, regardless of where you lived?

That would be stupid. I hate the Euro.
          The Euro is awful.
          Then I would have to time my purchase in 'Merican Dollars with the exchange rate. I don't want to do that.

Man this sucks.

Comment

Yes, D2D is my preferred method also. Heck I've downloaded IV from them at least 5 times for different machines with never a hassle.
            It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
            RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Of course I will buy it, but I hope they'll just put it in a case in the shop so that I can officialy join it with all the other boxes!
              Formerly known as "CyberShy"
              Carpe Diem tamen Memento Mori

Comment

I used the tin container edition for a stash box.
                It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
                RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

I won't buy anything else than a DVD that I can install without any registration.
                  Seriously. Kung freaking fu.

Comment

Of course I'd want a box since it's a civ game, but I've been using Steam since it was in beta and it really is an excellent service (could be improved, but that's true for most things). It also saves you from jumping through hoops to play without the disk, which is nice.

Edit: Many third party Steam games can be run just fine while Steam is closed, regardless of the 'offline' option. I have 5 Steam games currently installed and the only ones that NEED Steam are two multiplayer games made by Valve. The other three haven't been touched by Steam except to update.
                    Last edited by Sabre2th; March 11, 2010, 14:28.

Comment

Originally posted by rah View Post

I used the tin container edition for a stash box.
                      I have my Civ3 Special Edition tin hanging on my wall above the line of Civ series boxes

CS
                      Global Admin/Owner
                      Civilization Players Leagues
                      www.civplayers.com
                      http://steamcommunity.com/groups/civplayers steam://friends/joinchat/103582791431089902

Comment

Originally posted by Modo44 View Post
                        I won't buy anything else than a DVD that I can install without any registration.
                        Well I hope your happy playing Civ3 and Civ4(or Civ1 or 2 for that matter) because your in a world of hurt in 2010!

CS
                        Global Admin/Owner
                        Civilization Players Leagues
                        www.civplayers.com
                        http://steamcommunity.com/groups/civplayers steam://friends/joinchat/103582791431089902

Comment

Originally posted by CanuckSoldier View Post
                          I have my Civ3 Special Edition tin hanging on my wall above the line of Civ series boxes

CS
                          I salute a bigger geek then myself.
                          RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Yep
                            We need seperate human-only games for MP/PBEM that dont include the over-simplifications required to have a good AI
                            If any man be thirsty, let him come unto me and drink. Vampire 7:37
                            Just one old soldiers opinion. E Tenebris Lux. Pax quaeritur bello.

Comment

Originally posted by CanuckSoldier View Post
                              Well I hope your happy playing Civ3 and Civ4(or Civ1 or 2 for that matter) because your in a world of hurt in 2010!
                              Because some game maker decides they don't want me as a customer? I think I'll live.
                              Seriously. Kung freaking fu.

Comment

Working...
                              X