What would you like to see in a MoM 2?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A bit off topic here, aren't we?

Invisible flying warships are well-working units, but not against fast units with true sight or illusion immunity.

My favourite units include:
    1) all barbarian units (thrown weapons are great!), and that's why barbarians are my favourite race
    2) war trolls (regeneration&movement 2; pepper up with some spells - flame blade, black channels, chaos channels, lionheart, what ever you got - and you've got a killer)
    3) slingers (8 figures says it all)
    4) paladins (hard to kill - immune to magic)
    5) pikemen (armour pearcing, negate first strike, 8 figures - need to say more?)
    6) stag beetle & dragon turtle (shields anyone?)
    I'm not a complete idiot: some parts are still missing.

Comment

I agree that improved AI is Priority 1. At the very least, the AI needs to :

1. Come out from behind city walls and fight units with ranged attacks, instead of just sitting and taking hits. As it is, one slinger can take out a full stack of stag beetles if the beetles are in a walled city; just walk to within 2 spaces of the gate, fire 9 shots at the nearest beetle, and hold down the D key until "All Units Retreat Exhausted." You'll have to repeat this 30 times or so, but it works.

2. Not attack strong ground units with weak flyers.

3. Spread out slow units to keep fast enemy units from avoiding combat.

4. When fighting one-on-one against a unit of equal speed, use correct positioning to force the enemy against a corner so he can't run away forever. Strangely enough, the AI did this in the original version, but the 1.31 patch changed the pursuit algorithm so that the pursuer kept following in your wake instead of cutting you off.

Andemagne and Father Beast: the DOS version, which I got from Underdogs (www.the-underdogs.org) runs in DOS mode on my Windows 98 machine and on my Windows NT machine.
      "THE" plus "IRS" makes "THEIRS". Coincidence? I think not.

Comment

The tactical AI is poor, but strategic AI is poor too. There should be some plans and attacking from the AI. They never strike your cities in a concerted plan, and choose their targets in a not enlightened way.
        Clash of Civilization team member
        (a civ-like game whose goal is low micromanagement and good AI)
        web site http://clash.apolyton.net/frame/index.shtml and forum here on apolyton)

Comment

Originally posted by LDiCesare
          The tactical AI is poor, but strategic AI is poor too. There should be some plans and attacking from the AI. They never strike your cities in a concerted plan, and choose their targets in a not enlightened way.
          Not neccesarily true, I've had times(usually on impossible) where the AI will send droves of units after one city.
          Don't try to confuse the issue with half-truths and gorilla dust!

Comment

In my experience (almost always on Hard), the AI will target a particular city and send waves of attackers at it, but it'll ignore other cities along the way, even if a stack passes right by them and could take them easily.
            "THE" plus "IRS" makes "THEIRS". Coincidence? I think not.

Comment

Originally posted by Rex Little

Andemagne and Father Beast: the DOS version, which I got from Underdogs (www.the-underdogs.org) runs in DOS mode on my Windows 98 machine and on my Windows NT machine.
              The Underdogs LIVES!!!!

Wahoooooo....

I was afraid that it had bitten the dust, since my old bookmark led me to nothing.

anyway Rex, I also run MoM on my Win98 machine in dos mode, but problems getting it to run have been reported widely, and I myself was unable to get sound for quite a while.

Not to mention the feasability of getting it to run on WinME or XP, which are not sitting on the dos code. I'm not sure about how they work out.

still, I don't think it would cost infrogreed all that much development time to put out a Masters edition for what is widely regarded as one of the all time greats. I mean, hey, they did it for Myst, after all
              Any man can be a Father, but it takes someone special to be a BEAST

I was just about to point out that Horsie is simply making excuses in advance for why he will suck at Civ III...
              ...but Father Beast beat me to it! - Randomturn

Comment

I've gotten MOM to work on 2000. Rantz said he could get it up and running on XP and 2000. I'm not sure why you'd want to run it on ME, since it is probably the worst OS ever made. Sorry you got suckered into that one...

I have a test ME box up here at work that I can try to run MOM on if anyone's interested. I think the concept would be the same as 2000. Edit the properties of the shortcut you use to run the game (create one if you have to). You'll have some DOS parameters you can set, like EMS and XMS values and window size. Set the memory to 2048 and set windows size to full screen and it should work.

Comment

Things I would like to see in any future MoM 2:

1. Multiplayer out of the box. Need I ask for this?
                  2. More spells. Some ideas: Something that can drop Corruption on several squares at once. Something you can drop on an eney stack on the overland map to immobilise them - like a stack version of Web.
                  3. More heroes. There's only 40 or so in MoM, and after a while it gets boring (not Brax the dwarf *again*!)
                  4. Break away from the Civilization style town size a bit. Towns and cities don't sit there in real life with big numbers like "16" painted on them that give no conceptual idea of exactly how many people reside therein. It would be good if size 1 = 1000 people, size 25 = 25,000 people, etc. If the city size is more reflective of the number of people, then we can have new military units deplete a city's population as someone suggested earlier in this thread.
                  5. There should be no upper limit on city size.
                  None, Sedentary, Roving, Restless, Raging ... damn, is that all? Where's the "massive waves of barbarians that can wipe out your civilisation" setting?

Comment

Originally posted by star mouse
                    4. Break away from the Civilization style town size a bit. Towns and cities don't sit there in real life with big numbers like "16" painted on them that give no conceptual idea of exactly how many people reside therein. It would be good if size 1 = 1000 people, size 25 = 25,000 people, etc. If the city size is more reflective of the number of people, then we can have new military units deplete a city's population as someone suggested earlier in this thread.
                    In MoM, the city size DOES reflect the city pop exactly as you suggested.

I was just about to point out that Horsie is simply making excuses in advance for why he will suck at Civ III...

Comment

Ok, first a MoM "gold edition", or somesuch. not too much work.

some no brainers for a mom update:
                      Multiplayer
                      Graphics and sound
                      A.I.
                      Editor
                      I think that would do for a winmom to get interest up and going for a MoM2 to be released a year or two later.

That would take the suggestions

Comment

I was able to MoM to run on my win98 computer, but I had to keep the sound off.
                        ---------------------------------------------------------------------

As for MoM2

Larger armies

RT combat like what's happening with Moo3.

Smarter AI

Multiplayer, Obviously.

More then 4 enemy wizards in a single game.

Either a detailed build queue or a method of preventing constant micromanagement.

City Defenses that are actually effective. One particularly nasty idea would be to give any range unit located in the city gets unlimited ammo. Recently saw LOTR:TTT and would love to see a battle resembling that of Helm's Deep on MoM2.

Comment

Hey, booklord, I am running it on 98 with the sound
                          You either lack conventional memory - this can be fixed by attuning your config.sys file, or you have not selected properly your sound card type and settings ....
                          Against stupidity the very gods themselves contend in vain.

Comment

Please, no RT anything. The game is fun as it is, there is no need to kowtow to the RT trend. I like some RT games, but there isn't one of them that I wouldn't prefer to be turn based.
                            He's got the Midas touch.
                            But he touched it too much!
                            Hey Goldmember, Hey Goldmember!

Comment

Totally agree.

Although it escapes me how would we get a Multiplayer MoM keeping at the same time the TB Tactical Combat that is one of the cornerstones of this game balance and appeal in my eyes...
                              I don't exactly know what I mean by that, but I mean it (Holden Caulfield)

Comment

As I got to take up MoM again a bit, recently, I have to admit that after all these years experience in newer games, some improvements in the MicroManagement interface could be added, like:
                                - Build Queues, with customisable templates. Although I NEVER use them in SMAC, they would finely suit my playing style in MoM
                                - Allowing to BROWSE thru cities, and not have to click "Cities" and scroll from list top everytime

And, given the enforced base spacing, some (costly) Spell allowing you to Raise Lands from the ocean! .
                                Or to build Floating Cities (=seabases)
                                I don't exactly know what I mean by that, but I mean it (Holden Caulfield)

Comment

Working...
                                X