No announcement yet.

I'm quite disappointed with Firaxis

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I remember playing Civilization on the Super Nintendo back in the early 1990s (my first experience with the game), so having Civilization Revolutions on the X-Box/PS3/Wii isn't exactly breaking new ground.

Heh. I still fondly remember Civ on the SN — and having to replace two or three cartridges because I got ticked off that Montezuma or Genghis Khan razed my civilization into the ground.

Gatekeeper
    "I may not agree with what you have to say, but I'll die defending your right to say it." — Voltaire

"Wheresoever you go, go with all your heart." — Confucius

Comment

I think having a civ game on the next gen consoles is a wonderful idea.

Playing Civ on a PC is pure ecstasy however there are times when time is an issue and to be able to fire up a civ game on a console, even if it is watered down, is just the right medicine.
      signature not visible until patch comes out.

Comment

Originally posted by Cookie Monster
        I think having a civ game on the next gen consoles is a wonderful idea.
        Well, it depends of the final stuff they code: a bad Civ game is not a wonderful idea, IMHO.
        I've fear of the real ability of the Firaxis team to understand strong and weak point of console power and user expectation.

May be the real opportunity is in defined target HW, that should help in reducing the amount of bugs Firaxis always said was a Windows platform limit.

Originally posted by Cookie Monster
        Playing Civ on a PC is pure ecstasy however there are times when time is an issue and to be able to fire up a civ game on a console, even if it is watered down, is just the right medicine.
        Well, instant game is a good point, but IMHO that's more the field of a portable Nintendo DS than full console as Wii, XBox360 or PS3.
        "We are reducing all the complexity of billions of people over 6000 years into a Civ box. Let me say: That's not only a PkZip effort....it's a real 'picture to Jpeg heavy loss in translation' kind of thing."
        - Admiral Naismith

Comment

I think the main reason why they are not pursuing PC version (yet), is to prevent people from thinking it's sequel to Civ4.

It's a spin-off.

Comment

Originally posted by player1
            I think the main reason why they are not pursuing PC version (yet), is to prevent people from thinking it's sequel to Civ4.

It's a spin-off.
            That is a good point. If they are planning on releasing it for the PC at some point, I'm sure they'd rather have people say oh, it's a port from the console version (because it really is geared for console gaming and all that entails) rather than confusing it as Civ5.
            “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
            - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

I disagree w/ Snoopy on this one. In fact, I have difficulty accepting the dynamic of betrayal here.

We've got a Wii & DSLite in our home, so I'll definitely pick a copy up for each. May even buy a second DSLite, w/ CivRev copy, to MP against my son.
              "What did you learn in school today, dear little boy of mine?
              I learned our government must be strong. It's always right and never wrong,.....that's what I learned in school."
              --- Tom Paxton song ('63)

Comment

I have no opinion on consoles vs. PCs. I own both and play both.

I merely interject to say that at some point they may as well be honest about the Civlization Franchise and subtitle the game "StB: Scraping the Barrel".
                "lol internet" ~ AAHZ

Comment

The next PC Civ version will be dumbed down beyond belief just to make it portable to the console from the start. Oblivion anyone?

Civ:Rev Its a step in the wrong direction.

Comment

Originally posted by Gatekeeper
                    I remember playing Civilization on the Super Nintendo back in the early 1990s (my first experience with the game), so having Civilization Revolutions on the X-Box/PS3/Wii isn't exactly breaking new ground.

Heh. I still fondly remember Civ on the SN — and having to replace two or three cartridges because I got ticked off that Montezuma or Genghis Khan razed my civilization into the ground.

Gatekeeper
                    Exactly. This is a way to introduce a whole new segment of gamers to Civ. Maybe a few will get hooked enough to try the PC versions.

I don't have a console, so I doubt I'll play it, but to CivRev anyhow.
                    Captain of Team Apolyton - ISDG 2012

When I was younger I thought curfews were silly, but now as the daughter of a young woman, I appreciate them. - Rah

Comment

Working...
                    X