No announcement yet.

SCENARIO: The Napoleonic Wars

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ok. Maybe you don't have the right codecs/latest version. In the future my previews will be in *.mov format.

Trip>> Backpack changed. Cuffs and collars stay the way they are. I've already tried them in yellow, it REALLY didn't look good.
    Last edited by statusperfect; October 21, 2002, 04:58.

Comment

Alright, sounds good. Give me one last preview before you start animating (unless you already have).

Comment

I already have

I'll throw you a done unit tomorrow (tuesday) or wednesday if everything goes by schedule and i feel like working on it.

Comment

Great, thanks! Can't wait to see it.

Comment

No unit today. Been busy. New gig with band on wednesday Please be patient. I have a full time work, a band, a girlfriend, a social life and a warhammer army to paint

Comment

Trip, this looks like a great project... you mentioned ships earlier and using Rate was a good idea... I think it was mostly used for Royal Navy ships, but I imagine you could use it for all to avoid a whole ton of ship units. Here are some easily found facts for you:

First Rate:
              100-112 guns, crew 900, 3 decks, 2500 tons
              Second Rate:
              90-98 guns, crew 750, 3 decks, 2200 tons
              Third Rate:
              64-84 guns, crew 650, 2 decks, 1750 tons
              Fourth Rate:
              50-54 guns, crew 420, 2 decks, 1100 tons
              Fifth Rate:
              44 guns, crew 300, 2 decks, 900 tons
              Sixth Rate:
              20-30 guns, crew 200, 1 deck, ? tons
              Sloop or other light ship:
              24-30 guns, crew 125

I'm not sure why the sloop appears to have more guns with less crew than the 6th rate. Perhaps the 6th has more durability, anti-boarding defense, etc., while the sloop has lighter guns and speed.

At any rate, all of these ships are apparently able to carry about as many marines as they have guns (in addition to the crew). Thus, you could have larger ships act as transports as well for 1 unit or so (true, 100 marines is probably not a unit, but add enough armed sailors and you can probably err on the side of gameplay to let a 1st or 2nd rate or so carry a unit).

Bottom line: Read more Hornblower. 11 books baby!
              Lime roots and treachery!
              "Eventually you're left with a bunch of unmemorable posters like Cyclotron, pretending that they actually know anything about who they're debating pointless crap with." - Drake Tungsten

Comment

Oh, one more thing: I don't know if you've considered this already, but Sweden was the big source of pitch in Europe, which is vital for the water-sealing and thus construction of ships. Thus, Sweden was a very important ally for Britain. You might consider having pitch as a strategic resource, available only in Sweden (and perhaps a few other places) or something, that lets you build the more high-end naval units.
                Lime roots and treachery!
                "Eventually you're left with a bunch of unmemorable posters like Cyclotron, pretending that they actually know anything about who they're debating pointless crap with." - Drake Tungsten

Comment

Looking good
                  No Fighting here, this is the war room!

Comment

Another way to have german unit resources etc, is to make a border of mountain like tiles around countries, and make workers wheeled so they cannot build roads on the mountains (be good if they couldn't build on mountains as an option) jungles might be better to use.

Later a Mercenary Foreign legion office could be built, that is like an airport and allows foreign units built in any city. if the mercenary building needs a certain resource you can limit this ability (cool)

IT would be good to try and keep the road function.. then you can have pillaging.

civ3 would allow common resources like iron / wood
                    to be available in each nation, separate from other nations.. so these mountain borders would work here too, and it would be of use to pillage these resources.

If a cities destroyed it might not work having a german resource under it.. maybe it could look invisible.

Comment

• It would be nice to have naval marines that can 'board' enemy ships and destroy them.
                      Make them like aeroplanes, give them an intercept and bombard attack, but don't make them rebase, make them immobile , but they can load on a ship(it has the aircraft carrier flag) at a port. Bigger rated ships can carry more marines.
                      succesful marine attacks bombard and damage the ship(like killing sailors/sabotaging it) and could sink it (has the deadly sea bombard flag set)

Problems: marines can attack land too.. this may be good.. they dont have deadly land bombard. Make them light on land attack.

I don't see any other way , ships can't carry ships.
                      I think marines as airplanes could work very well, its a shame ships can't be captured though.. most ships in reallife were sunk before they could be taken as salvage.
                      Maybe merchant ships can have defence 0 and captured?

Comment

• How about Lead for a resource for advanced rifles? was it used in the early 18th cent. for bullets ?

Comment

Working...
                        X