SCENARIO: The Napoleonic Wars

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Trip
    the chest looks kind of scrawny, you may want to beef it up just a bit. The whole unit looks kind of tall and lanky right now... he seems a bit taller and thinner than he ought to be.

It looks as though he's leaning forward a bit. Maybe it's just the way it looks now, but it looks as though he's about to fall on his face.

Like with your artillery units, you need more light on the unit. The whole thing kind of looks like it's in the shadows. You could make the musket have some metal on it that reflects a bit as well.
    check this out for a start
    Attached Files

Comment

beefed up.... i guess you were right about the proportions

now its time for me to sleep..... so have a look at the beffet up version... compare the different versions.... get some thinking done ande then write me a long post in forum
      Attached Files

Comment

Here's the first unit I want you to make here:

4th Project update: I've completed some major work regarding the map in the past couple days. What I've done is eliminated roads altogether (hold on), and given each city a people 'resource' underneath, which allows each city to be able to produce certain nationality units depending upon...

The title of the post with the picture is "Early Austrian Infantry", about halfway or so down the page. They're the all-white infantry units (3 of the 4 guys in the picture are examples). Notice the details of the uniform and backpack while working on it.

Comment

They look pretty cool. I'll have fun doing them.

I think it's bit sad you didn't tell me the artillery units were to dark until now... i REALLLY don't feel like going back and doing them all over again. So please be picky with the previews and not with finished units. Will you use my artillery units anyway?

EDIT: Btw cannons were dark because the high amount of coal in the metal. The original Civ cannon is way too bright

Comment

I don't want you to go back and redo them, I just gave you that tip for further usage, and I will use them, so don't worry about it now. I'll try to be as picky as possible in the future.

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

WHOA! That's awesome status! Excellent work!

One thing that may cause problems though. Since Austria's colors are white in my scenario, you should probably make the x over the chest the civ color instead of the cuffs, collar and bottom of the coat, so that way the WHOLE uniform won't be white, and it will look more appropriate in case other nations have to use them. Leave those parts of the coat that blue-ish color, but make the X the civ color, that's all.

Comment

like this?
                  Attached Files

Comment

Great, that's exactly what I meant.

Couple things though, if you're still tweaking it. It appears as though he's leaning to the front a bit, you may want to do something about that (of course, that could be just 'another one of those things' that get fixed by making it into an actual unit animation, but I just wanted to point it out ).

Also, you may want to plaster the guy's coat down to his body a tad more, it looks as though the guy needs a bit of exercise from behind.

One more thing. If it's not too late (i.e. if you haven't started animating it yet), I've changed my mind yet again (forgive me, I'm picky, I know ), so if you could swap the jacket and X colors (the white part of the jacket and the X that's currently holding the civ-specific color) that would be great. I figured it would be more distinctive if the actual jacket was the civ color. If it's too late, then that's no problem, because I don't see anyone but Austria using them anyways, and their uniforms were all white anyways.

Once you finish that, you can start on the Austrian (German) Grenadier unit (I figure I'd might as well get 1 country, Austria out of the way first). Make the jacket the civ-specific color again (and everything else the identical coloring present on the uniform, if possible), and don't forget the funky hat and the fact that he has no bayonet.

Beyond that, you can do cavalry (the picture after the Grenadier), keeping the coloring exact, except for the jacket, which will be white (though not as accurate, I have to make the unit distinguishable somehow and just the X or slash across the chest ain't the best way to do that). Cuirassiers were armed with swords (which isn't pictured), Dragoons had Carbines, which were smaller weapons, in between muskets and pistols (neither that nor the horse is included in that picture), and the Hussars picture includes everything you need. If possible, try to get the chest uniform detail of the Hussar, but if it's just too much, don't worry about it too much.

I'll try to get ahold of some Austrian Imperial Guard and Light Infantry images soon.
                    Last edited by Jon Shafer; October 20, 2002, 00:48.

Comment

I'll implement the changes and start animating tomorrow.

Could you please clarify which unit is the grenadier so i don't make the wrong unit?

Why don't you use the original cavalry shipped with the game? Horses are extremely complex to animate. (If i try mine will look as mech walkers for sure )

And be PICKY PICKY PICKY! The austrian infantry will be used as template for other units so early correction = less work/frustration for me.

EDIT: Had another look at unit... he looks fat from behind because he is leaning forwards. His waist (is this the correct name for the area between hips and chest?) is actually thinner than the one of the guard unit.

Comment

Hello,

Steph2 is in fact Steph from CFC (but Steph was already taken here).

The grenadier is the guy with the bearskin hat. On the first Austrian picture, he's the one on the bottom right, kneeling.

On the second Austrian picture, the left and right one are grenadier. Fully white soldiers are German, blue trousers soldiers are Hungarian.
                        As German regiment were the more common, I suggest to use a fully white German.

If you have any question, you can send me an email (I please send a copy to Trip, it will make discussion easier).

Comment

By the way, I've downloaded your zip. But I cannot see them with FLICSTER. Is it normal?

Comment

They are not made for flicster. All *.flc files can be viewed in Quicktime.

Comment

Some final suggestions before you start animating (aside from the jacket/X color switch):

Make the brown backpack on their backs a bit larger. It's hard to see from the images I gave you, but it's a bit bigger than you made it.

Make the darkish-blue areas (cuffs, collar, bottom part of the coat, and the small strap on each shoulder) yellow instead. Yellow and white were the 'main' Austrian colors of the time.

Next you can do the Austrian Grenadier (German, not Hungarian type). The good thing is that they look identical to the Line Infantry, except for the fluffy-looking hat, the gold thingy on the part of the X coming down from the left shoulder, the lack of a bayonet on their musket, and they have a sword on the left hip.
                              Read: Only make those modifications. The Austrian coat uniform changed between the Line Infantryman unit you made, and the examples only show the later version. Keep the coat the same so the Grenadier and the Line Infantry unit look the same.

Comment

Originally posted by statusperfect
                                They are not made for flicster. All *.flc files can be viewed in Quicktime.
                                I've just installed quicktime, and it tells me it canno open your flc.

Comment

Working...
                                X