On the Utility and Use of Marines

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by nbarclay
    Marines in the real world DO NOT engage in amphibious assaults directly against well-defended cities. Rather, they go after a relatively undefended stretch of beach to establish a beachhead to bring in heavier forces.

The reason marines are used so rarely in Civ 3 is that there is almost always undefended beach available to land on without having to use them. Thus, their rightful role of securing a beachhead to bring in heavier forces is denied them.

Nathan
    For his idea to work, I think non-amphibious should have their defence rating lowered by the turn they land (recovered on the next turn), making them an easy target for nearby enemy unit. Therefore, even modern armor and mech inf should be landed together with marine to avoid being ambushed by 'near by' enemy (btw, they already have railroad)

And for this scenario, I think marine should be a defender instead of an attacker.

Comment

Some good stuff here!
      -PrinceBimz-

Comment

Originally posted by Ekanata

...to avoid being ambushed by 'near by' enemy (btw, they already have railroad)
        And to cut enemy's railroad, we can bring in bombers, or battleships

Comment

They also constitute a superb rapid reaction force in conjunction with paratroops and helos.

Comment

The game I've got running at the moment is up to 1981, into future tech 3. I'm still building marines. In conjunction with mech inf armies landed with a nice pile of cruise missiles they really are earning their keep as far as GL creation goes.

Comment

helo/marine combination

i personally rarely use marines except in conjunction with helecopters. The marine has a higher attack than the infantry making it better for an offensive helocpter deployment. generally using marines in this "airborn" fashion is only good for one thing against an equally or more scientifically advanced civ. by deploying the marines farther away from your city radius it gives you a few extra tiles deeper to plunder in enemy territory. using this against cavaly and rifleman defences can have spectacular results. when fast moving cavalry units try to advance to behind your lines they will be thinned out as they pass by your marines, making them easy clean-up for the slower moving marines. if underdeveloped nations exist in the game i usually keep 15 marines, 5 infantry, and 5 helo's on standy incase they get any ideas. this force can be quicky deployed and reinforced. the only downside is that it can only be deployed withing four tiles of a city radius. but once the first city is taken, its open season. ive also used this to avoid enemy naval units in island hoping situations. mostly i use this as a vanity. i like the idea of deploying with helocopters and i usually find room for it in my defense budget. i would like it and use it more if you could deploy helos on carriers or some other kind of naval unit.

Comment

Originally posted by Theseus
                I think in MP we'll see massive invasion forces that dwarf any contemplated here.

Surprise attack:
                20 Battleships
                4-6 Destroyers looking for Subs
                6-8 Carriers, each with 1 JF and 3 Bombers
                Redundancy:
                16 Marines for a direct attack
                16 Infantry and 32 Tanks for a Hill landing

And vice versa: Homeland defense will be a much more critical issue...

Back OT: I still haven't used Marines in a meaningful way.

But I will. Semper Fi.
                my last invasion force consisted of:
                15 carriers
                25 Battleships
                32 Destroyers
                16 Nuc subs
                90 Air units (most F-15's)
                41 transprots (full)
                120 MA's
                60 MI's
                6 Armies
                50 (or so) Radar Arty.
                23 marines
                21 Paratroopers

An Invasion should not be done half-a$$ed, When your enemy has 100+ MI's and about 50 MA's you had better be ready to come with your entire inventory.

Cant wait to unleash an invasion like this on a player in MP.

Marines are only usefull in getting the invasion force ashore or attacking lightly defended targets.
                * A true libertarian is an anarchist in denial.
                * If brute force isn't working you are not using enough.
                * The difference between Genius and stupidity is that Genius has a limit.
                * There are Lies, Damned Lies, and The Republican Party.

Comment

I didn't read the entire thread, so if this has already been stated I'm sorry. I'm also sorry for bumping the thread. I know how a lot of people on Apolyton hate having to read a useless paragraph.

What if there isn't any elevated terrain very close to the city? This is common. And if it is 2,3, or 4 tiles away from the city, during the time you are moving there the opponent has plenty of time to get to your stack of units and attack/bombard the crap out of it. And in multiplayer, landing a force of infantry and cavalry, who also don't have as good attack, near the city and possibly with no defense bonuses, will not work. The stack will get killed. And with marines, you can take multiple cities and airlift a ton of units to those cities in ONE TURN. This would be a big help.
                  "The first man who, having fenced off a plot of land, thought of saying, 'This is mine' and found people simple enough to believe him was the real founder of civil society. How many crimes, wars, murders, how many miseries and horrors might the human race had been spared by the one who, upon pulling up the stakes or filling in the ditch, had shouted to his fellow men: 'Beware of listening to this imposter; you are lost if you forget the fruits of the earth belong to all and that the earth belongs to no one." - Jean-Jacques Rousseau

Comment

One thing I have noticed since patching to 1.21 is that one tile islands are now appearing on my maps (standard size, continents).

In the last game I played into the modern age, the babs had a city on such an island defended by 2 riflemen. Marines were the only way to take that city (and the babs) out.
                    Never give an AI an even break.

Comment

Originally posted by Mad Bomber

my last invasion force consisted of:
                      15 carriers
                      25 Battleships
                      32 Destroyers
                      16 Nuc subs
                      90 Air units (most F-15's)
                      41 transprots (full)
                      120 MA's
                      60 MI's
                      6 Armies
                      50 (or so) Radar Arty.
                      23 marines
                      21 Paratroopers

An Invasion should not be done half-a$$ed, When your enemy has 100+ MI's and about 50 MA's you had better be ready to come with your entire inventory.

Cant wait to unleash an invasion like this on a player in MP.

Marines are only usefull in getting the invasion force ashore or attacking lightly defended targets.
                      hi ,

great , if that is spotted around the corner , in a nice little stack , .....

its nuke time

have a nice day
                      - RES NON VERBA - DE OPRESSO LIBER - VERITAS ET LIBERTAS - O TOLMON NIKA - SINE PARI - VIGLIA PRETIUM LIBERTAS - SI VIS PACEM , PARA BELLUM -
                      - LEGIO PATRIA NOSTRA - one shot , one kill - freedom exists only in a book - everything you always wanted to know about special forces - everything you always wanted to know about Israel - what Dabur does in his free time , ... - in french - “Become an anti-Semitic teacher for 5 Euro only.”
                      WHY DOES ISRAEL NEED A SECURITY FENCE --- join in an exceptional demo game > join here forum is now open ! - the new civ Conquest screenshots > go see them UPDATED 07.11.2003 ISRAEL > crisis or challenge ?

Comment

Originally posted by panag

hi ,

great , if that is spotted around the corner , in a nice little stack , .....

its nuke time

have a nice day

Do that and say goodbye to 25-40 cities and all resources cut. Go ahead and make my day!
                        * A true libertarian is an anarchist in denial.
                        * If brute force isn't working you are not using enough.
                        * The difference between Genius and stupidity is that Genius has a limit.
                        * There are Lies, Damned Lies, and The Republican Party.

Comment

Originally posted by Mad Bomber

Do that and say goodbye to 25-40 cities and all resources cut. Go ahead and make my day!

hi ,

well it still is the best way to get rid of large invasion fleets , ...... and the moment you move from military to civilian targets , .....

have a nice day
                          - RES NON VERBA - DE OPRESSO LIBER - VERITAS ET LIBERTAS - O TOLMON NIKA - SINE PARI - VIGLIA PRETIUM LIBERTAS - SI VIS PACEM , PARA BELLUM -
                          - LEGIO PATRIA NOSTRA - one shot , one kill - freedom exists only in a book - everything you always wanted to know about special forces - everything you always wanted to know about Israel - what Dabur does in his free time , ... - in french - “Become an anti-Semitic teacher for 5 Euro only.”
                          WHY DOES ISRAEL NEED A SECURITY FENCE --- join in an exceptional demo game > join here forum is now open ! - the new civ Conquest screenshots > go see them UPDATED 07.11.2003 ISRAEL > crisis or challenge ?

Comment

Don't use marines much. But like them when I do. I find (on large/huge maps at least) the AI considers seaboard cities close to the poles and/or far from rival borders relatively "safe" and that they are as a rule relatively under-defended. This makes staging two front invasions far easier (I always try to fight the AI on at least two fronts) because a transport of marines finds the third defender or so in these cities to be a fairly obsolete, easily defeated unit. With proper numbers, I can take and fortify three or four staging cities on the civ's backside and rush build airports for the continuation of the war.

Now, if someone can only convince me paratroopers are worth the build.

I agree with some of the rumbling about warfare in the modern age. I play with UN and spaceship victories turned off, so some of this is my fault. But once I am at the point I can build MA, I have so many cities, with such high production, it becomes a game sheer brute force: build a ton of MAs and go smashing my way into cities by sheer superior numbers.
                            "Guess what? I got a fever! And the only prescription is ... more cow bell!"

Comment

Originally posted by TheArsenal
                              Don't use marines much. But like them when I do. I find (on large/huge maps at least) the AI considers seaboard cities close to the poles and/or far from rival borders relatively "safe" and that they are as a rule relatively under-defended. This makes staging two front invasions far easier (I always try to fight the AI on at least two fronts) because a transport of marines finds the third defender or so in these cities to be a fairly obsolete, easily defeated unit. With proper numbers, I can take and fortify three or four staging cities on the civ's backside and rush build airports for the continuation of the war.

Now, if someone can only convince me paratroopers are worth the build.

I agree with some of the rumbling about warfare in the modern age. I play with UN and spaceship victories turned off, so some of this is my fault. But once I am at the point I can build MA, I have so many cities, with such high production, it becomes a game sheer brute force: build a ton of MAs and go smashing my way into cities by sheer superior numbers.

hi ,

para's , well lets see , you have a border city and like to know if your enemy is building up to attack you , send one in to see what moves around , ........

great to land on key strategic locations like mountains or hills , or just to block that important rescource , .....

have a nice day

Comment

An effective (and FUN) use of marines is to:
                                1) Bombard coastal tile improvements
                                2) When workers come to repair tile improvements, take workers with marines, loading captured workers onto transports
                                3) Support marines (if desired) with MI

After a few times of this, the AI will cease repairing improvements. Whether this is because they have "learned" not to lose more workers or because they HAVE no more workers ....

Of course, your raiding forces will more likely survive if opposing ground forces are being distracted by other ground action.

Note: If your transport(s) were full of marines and supporting troops and you put captured workers on them, you may not have room to extract your troops from the raiding site.

Comment

Working...
                                X