No announcement yet.

On the Utility and Use of Armies

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• jshelr that must be a very frigthening sight indeed.

Rhothaerill welcome to fold. I loved armies since the game came out, but now they are insane. If you like legion armies, wait till you see AC armies with those 18 HP and then 24.

Rider armies with 4 moves oh my.

Comment

• Similar. I ALWAYS liked armies...the weapon of choice when you have a battle you absloutely, CANNOT, MUST NOT lose
      It's all my territory really, they just squat on it...!
      She didn't declare war on me, she's just playing 'hard to get'...

Comment

• I finished my first C3C game last night... it was pretty intense, with me (Japan) having taken control of my continent, and Carthage as a KAI having taken control of the other.

[Can't remember the last game where I ended in a one-on-one face-off]

Anyway, I did an IC invasion at Infantry / Cavs, and then won the game at Tanks.

Being the Army lovin' fool that I am, in the final throws of battle, I had:

Three 4xInfantry
        Two Cav+Sammie+2xHorse
        Two 4xCav
        Two Tank+3xCav
        One 4xTank

What really blew me away where the 3- and 4-movers. Especially late game, where culture boundaries are pretty well extended, these bad boys made mincemeat outta the defense. I basically split my forces into two groups: 1- and 2-movers attacking easily accessible cities, and, with Battlefield Medicine, the big boys just plowing deep into enemy territory and whacking at the enemy from a hill or mountain.

Game over. (Although TOW Infantry are tough bastards, aren't they?)
        The greatest delight for man is to inflict defeat on his enemies, to drive them before him, to see those dear to them with their faces bathed in tears, to bestride their horses, to crush in his arms their daughters and wives.

Duas uncias in puncta mortalis est.

Comment

• Correct! With the extra move, Rider armies go 12 squares and they retreat in the unlikely event that they don't win. If placed right by a city, they can attack multiple times. In the game posted, the Maya had both ToZ and Knights Templar, were the largest civ, had a significant tech lead, and still did not stand a chance once the Rider armies were formed.
          Illegitimi Non Carborundum

Comment

• Love the Conquistador army!

I never used armies before - partly because they took so long to heal, and partly because you lost the number of attacks. But now I love them. My current game is the second in which I have enjoyed the services of a Crusader Army, which is a thing of beauty - basically functions as an uber-knight. I have just watched it slice its way through two enemy cities guarded by Musketeers - I had bombarded the first with my lovely, lovely Dromons, but the second was inland and intact. The army lost just a couple of hit points. That's the great thing about these armies - although you can't unload units from them, you don't have to, because they remain useful forever. That Crusader Army will, at the very least, be a good defender right until the end of the game - and how very satisfying to watch my medieval crusading knights fend off Tanks, and then crusade forth to wipe out Guerillas.

Comment

• I daren't ask how you came by the Byzantine AND the Spanish UU...

Comment

• Plotinus may have been referring to the theoretical movement of a Conquistador army. Wonder what happens to the dogs?
                Illegitimi Non Carborundum

Comment

• Originally posted by Rhothaerill

Yes that's definitely a good army, but think about a 7/3/2 Berserk army with amphibious attack and blitz. There is absolutely nothing that could stand against it in it's age.

Theseus is well known for his love of Scandinavia. An army only makes them better now.
                  Actually, it's 9/3/2

EDIT: theseus already mentioned this

Comment

• Yes that's definitely a good army, but think about a 7/3/2 Berserk army with amphibious attack and blitz. There is absolutely nothing that could stand against it in it's age.
                    Look to the avatar, my friends...look to the avatar
                    Not that I'm suggesting the AI would CHEAT like that to save it's skin...ok...so maybe I do have a pathological hatred of it

Comment

Working...
                    X