No announcement yet.

The Mod With No Name - Alpha

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Civilopedia text for Scientific civilizations does not indicate that they get Writing as a starting tech.

Comment

Ah, finally found this thread, I kept searching through the General forum.

Based on some of the earlier discussions I made some changes in my own version; here are a few of them, see what you think.

A lot of those "move item X to tech Y so that it has something" came from one of my posts in the first place, so of course I put them in. Most of these are relatively minor, except:

Move Newton's University to Physics, and remove Theory of Gravity. Use its free slot to create a new Medeival tech, "Nautical Engineering". Prerequisite Engineering, allows Caravels (instead of Astronomy), and is a prerequisite for Astronomy.

In the Industrial era, rearrange a bit. Rename "Amphibious Warfare" into "Modern Navy" or something (haven't decided yet), and have it require Steam Power (MUCH earlier in the tree). It allows Ironclads (instead of Steam Power) and Marines (reduced to a 6/4/1 amphibious unit that is an upgrade from Swordsmen), is required for era advancement, and is a prerequisite for Combustion (where Transports come in).
      You see, part of the problem IMHO is that there was almost no gap between the "primitive" sailing ships and the Ironclad.

Paratroopers gain the amphibious ability as well and become "Assault Troops", with the 8/6/1 stats and an increased cost, which makes them a viable alternative to tanks. Marines upgrade to them.
      (In most games I saw, people only made Marines and Paratroops if there was a situation, like a 1-square island, where these units were absolutely needed. This helps.)

Once I get the hang of the Copy Tool, I'm going to start adding new units. Highlights include:

Partisans; units with no resource requirement, very cheap to build, but inferior in pretty much every way. These represent when the country needs everyone to fight for their land on short notice, using whatever they can scrounge up. The Ancient Era one is the Warrior (no longer upgrades to Swordsman), the Medeival is the Peasant (2/2/1), the Industrial is the Farmer (3/4/1), and the Modern is the Redneck (5/7/2).

A medeival-era Swordsman upgrade (5/3/1 Iron), the Man-at-Arms. Yes, they did exist in gunpowder armies, and this'll bridge the gap from Swordsmen to Marines. The Samurai unique unit would become a substitute for this unit, instead of the Knight, and would be 5/4/1? 6/4/1? 5/4/1 with no Iron? It doesn't make sense that a unit not requiring horses can move 2.

A continuation of the Archer line (which I've buffed slightly; Archer 3/1/1, Longbowman 6/1/1); the Sharpshooter (9/2/1) at the beginning of the Industrial era, the Sniper (15/4/1) in the Modern. These'd be much cheaper than normal defensive infantry, don't require many resources, and don't have a ZoC. They're used for attacking an entrenched defender without risking Cavalry/Tanks, and are cheap enough to be worth it.

Skirmishers: Somewhat expensive Impi-style defenders, whose increased movement would keep Cavalry from retreating. The Chariot would be at the start of the line (no longer upgrading to the Horseman), and Mechanized Infantry would be the end of both this and the Infantry lines of development, combining the traits of both. Pretty much just need three in the middle, coming at the end of the Ancient, middle of the Medieval and towards the beginning of the Industrial. I was thinking that the Impi and War Chariots could go into this line as uniques, and possibly the War Elephant.

The Balloon, an early 0/0 air unit that can only do the Recon command. Try it and you'll see how much this one helps.

Thoughts?

Comment

Crash

Playing as the Babylonians. Crash upon reasearching Warrior Code, which was the first technology I researched.

Save file attached.

edit - added a second save file dated 2710. In this, you can trade with the Zulu scout for Warrior Code, but researching it yourself crashes the game.
        Attached Files
        Last edited by ChrisShaffer; January 18, 2002, 16:31.

Comment

Originally posted by Spatzimaus
          Thoughts?
          I think you'll find more discussion of the mod on Vel's forum at http://renaissanceforums.community.e...?NodeID=320630 . This thread is primarily to report problems with the alpha version of the mod.

Comment

How actually do you create new units? I haven't been able to find any kind of tool in the editor for it.

Comment

Chris,

I can't seem to download that file. However, I suspect it may be related to the Warrior Code civilopedia crash, and I have a fix for that in the works.

GeneralTacticus,

Please don't clutter up this thread with unrelated junk. Use your eyes and look at the threads stuck to the top of the forum.

-Sev

Comment

At 8:1 early Republics and Monarchys are much less desireable than Despotism. I think this should be reset to 4:1. We can adjust the costs of late game units/improvements if necessary to balance out the Industrial/Modern eras.
                thoth,
                i am almost positive what you are talking about is shield cost per gold under the wealth bar, what that means is it takes 8 shields to give you one gold piece and by discovering economics this takes you down to 4

under hurry production is a box called shield value in gold, which is set at 4 throughout the game and it is this box which determines rush buying

Comment

thoth,
                  i am almost positive what you are talking about is shield cost per gold under the wealth bar, what that means is it takes 8 shields to give you one gold piece and by discovering economics this takes you down to 4

under hurry production is a box called shield value in gold, which is set at 4 throughout the game and it is this box which determines rush buying
                  Vel has caused the cost per shield bought to be set at 8, the wealth settings are unchanged. IIRC the intent is to limit the ability of Democracies to rush buy huge armies in the Modern era. Unfortunately, it tips the balance way out in the Medieveal era. I've changed it back to 4 in my copy of the Mod. I don't fancy the notion of either playing Despotism until quite late or switching to a Monarchy/Republic when rush buying is so constrained.
                  Libraries are state sanctioned, so they're technically engaged in privateering. - Felch
                  I thought we're trying to have a serious discussion? It says serious in the thread title!- Al. B. Sure

Comment

oh ok i gotcha,

right under your post chris said how about 4:1 the entire game, that taken with your post made me think that you had the mistaken impression you could change the cost of rush buying over the course of the game, and i was trying to help ward off any wild goose chases hehe so disregard me

ps

i hope a new patch with tons of wonderful upgrades to the editor comes out soon

Comment

Originally posted by korn469
                      oh ok i gotcha,

right under your post chris said how about 4:1 the entire game, that taken with your post made me think that you had the mistaken impression you could change the cost of rush buying over the course of the game, and i was trying to help ward off any wild goose chases hehe so disregard me
                      I think Vel has already chased that goose.

ps

i hope a new patch with tons of wonderful upgrades to the editor comes out soon
                      You, me and a couple of thousand others.
                      Libraries are state sanctioned, so they're technically engaged in privateering. - Felch
                      I thought we're trying to have a serious discussion? It says serious in the thread title!- Al. B. Sure

Comment

Hey Vel,

I came across a post you made, I haven't a clue where, regarding giving my Archers Bombard ability to give them a free shot. How does that work exactly, and are there any other flags I'll have to consider? Can I still have Attack/Defense numbers, or does it become just another version of the Catapult? I've given them ZoC right now, but I'm hoping on something more effective.

BTW, I love that idea of yours to create a colourless land unit. It's great being able to take out those cities the AI plops down behind my frontier without having to have an all out war. Thanks for the tip. Also, piracy is still a big problem in the China Sea, so there's no reason why there shouldn't be an upgrade for the Privateer.

Comment

That was actually a DavidWeldon/Sev idea, IIRC, and it works like a charm! Give them a bombard attack, range 0, and set the power to what you think is appropriate, as I understand it, and you're all set!

The colorless unit thing....yeah, I'm loving it in the mod, but, you really gotta babysit your workers, cos the AI knows to use them!

-=Vel=-
                          The list of published books grows. If you're curious to see what sort of stories I weave out, head to Amazon.com and do an author search for "Christopher Hartpence." Help support Candle'Bre, a game created by gamers FOR gamers. All proceeds from my published works go directly to the project.

Comment

Originally posted by Velociryx
                            That was actually a DavidWeldon/Sev idea, IIRC, and it works like a charm! Give them a bombard attack, range 0, and set the power to what you think is appropriate, as I understand it, and you're all set!

The colorless unit thing....yeah, I'm loving it in the mod, but, you really gotta babysit your workers, cos the AI knows to use them!

-=Vel=-
                            Yeah, I decided to just experiment and figured it out. I like it, makes my Archers much more useful. I'm thinking of adding it to a couple more of my ranged units as well. It seems to me that Tanks should have this as well, they certainly would have the range to justify a free shot against an attacker.

I haven't seen the AI build one of the colourless units yet, but I'll be sure to ttake your advice.

Comment

Religious Improvements and Units

O.K Guys,

I'm not sure if this is the correct place to post this, but I've been giving more thought to my Civ3 Mod suggestions, and have come up with the following:

1) Move temple from ceremonial burial to mysticism.
                              2) Ceremonial burial now allows the construction of a Tomb (Barrow, Burial mound et al). This improvement gives 1 happiness and 1 culture, 0 maintainance and the same cost as a temple. Is obsolete with Theology (or Education)
                              3) New Great Wonder: Stonehenge. Reduces corruption in the city it is built but not sure of any possible secondary effects! I'm thinking it should either grant continental mood effects, or act as a granary in every city (as it was, apparently, used to better measure the changing of the seasons). Requires stone and Gnosticism to build. Becomes obsolete with Monotheism
                              4) New "Resource": Gnosticism. Is now a required resource for construction of all religious improvements. Has a high rate of appearence. and low rate of disappearance. Is available with Ceremonial Burial and appears in Forests, Jungle Mountain and Desert Terrain. Grants +1 Production and +1 Commerce to the tile.
                              5) Radically Altered Pyramids: Will now double the effects of all tombs (not a giant granary after all!), as well as granting 2 happiness in the city in which it is built. Also reduces corruption in the city it is built.
                              6) New Improvement: Sacrificial Altar. Requires Gnosticism and Indigenous population to build. Reduces corruption, creates 1 happiness, neagtive culture. Becomes obsolete with nationalism. Can only be built by Despotism, Monarchy and Theocracy.
                              7) Altered Great Wonder: Chitchen Itza. Now doubles the effects of sacrificial altars. Cultural Imrovement.
                              8) New Great Wonder: Dialectics of Confucious: Acts as a Courthouse in every city.
                              9) New Units: Holy Man. Available with Mysticism. Treats all terrain as roads, no nationality, stats 1/1/4. Really only useful for "Converting" (Capturing) enemy settlers and workers!! Could be used to "Occupy" empty enemy cities. Upgrades to Missionary. Requires Gnosticism.
                              Missionary: Similar to Holy Man. Available with Theology and has stats 2/2/4.

Anyway, Hope these are of use to you.

Yours,
                              The_Aussie_Lurker

7)

Comment

Aussie,

You can't make improvements obsolete upon discovery of a tech. Period.

Welcome to the Civ3 editor constraints!

-Sev

Comment

Working...
                                X