Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Two preliminary comments on mod features that need to be tested seriously because I'm afraid Civ3 can't cope with it due to its hardcoding:
    • You have conferred a defense bonus of 25% to the Palace. IIRC, any building with a defense bonus gets obsolete like the city walls when a city grows to size 7 (level 2).
    • You have created a modern version of armies. Judging from the editor help file (general settings / build-army unit), leaders and the military academy are only able to create a single unit type. (You could set leaders to create armies and the military academy to create modern armies, but I would never waste a leader to create a size-2-army.)
    "As far as general advice on mod-making: Go slow as far as adding new things to the game until you have the basic game all smoothed out ... Make sure the things you change are really imbalances and not just something that doesn't fit with your particular style of play." - WesW

Comment

• Originally posted by korn469
      lockstep

thanks for catching that i've corrected it (both the readme and the install text) thankfully all of the mistakes were in the readme and not the actual bic
      The entries for hoplite and panzer still need to be corrected in the initial post of this thread.
      "As far as general advice on mod-making: Go slow as far as adding new things to the game until you have the basic game all smoothed out ... Make sure the things you change are really imbalances and not just something that doesn't fit with your particular style of play." - WesW

Comment

• You have conferred a defense bonus of 25% to the Palace. IIRC, any building with a defense bonus gets obsolete like the city walls when a city grows to size 7 (level 2)
        i know for a fact that bombard defense makes a buildings disappear when it's grows to size six, so i don't think the palace should disappear but i'll playtest this, i used the +25% defense setting in beta6 iirc, and it didn't seem to propose problems

You have created a modern version of armies. Judging from the editor help file (general settings / build-army unit), leaders and the military academy are only able to create a single unit type. (You could set leaders to create armies and the military academy to create modern armies, but I would never waste a leader to create a size-2-army.)
        what i'm hoping is that the Army tag in the unit specials (like wheeled, blitz, etc.) will allow the Military Academy to build modern armies, especially since they replace normal armies

The entries for hoplite and panzer still need to be corrected in the initial post of this thread
        sorry between here and civfanatics i have the readme in 3 different posts, so i only corrected two of, but now it's fixed

Comment

i know for a fact that bombard defense makes a buildings disappear when it's grows to size six, so i don't think the palace should disappear but i'll playtest this, i used the +25% defense setting in beta6 iirc, and it didn't seem to propose problems
          I re-checked beta6 - you're right. That brings up two possibilities:[list=a][*]The palace is hardcoded not to get obsolete, even if other buildings with a defense bonus do so;[*]It is possible for modmakers to create permanent defense-adding buildings by foregoing the bombard defense ability.[/list=a]

Comment

• Originally posted by lockstep
            You could set leaders to create armies and the military academy to create modern armies, but I would never waste a leader to create a size-2-army.
            I'm obviously getting tired. You can only choose one unit type to be created by leaders and the military academy.

Comment

• The palace is hardcoded not to get obsolete, even if other buildings with a defense bonus do so
              possibly, but from my testing experiance it seemed like only the building would only disappear if the bombard defense was greater than 0, because i was testing this on a SAM battery (kind of like a bomb shelter side effect) which did not have any defensive value but did have a bombard value and it would disappear when walls did

though an interesting side effect is that by giving the palace a defensive value it doesn't seem like i can build it in any of my other cities, but i need to confirm this

It is possible for modmakers to create permanent defense-adding buildings by foregoing the bombard defense ability
              most likely, though a city may only be able to have one building with a defensive value, again i'll need to check this out

I'm obviously getting tired. You can only choose one unit type to be created by leaders and the military academy.
              hehe no problem, i've had more than one mistake come from being tired, though hopefully beta7 doesn't have any because of this

Comment

an interesting side effect is that by giving the palace a defensive value it doesn't seem like i can build it in any of my other cities, but i need to confirm this
                I reloaded my corruption-testing beta6 save game (Babylonians 2054 AD). On a small continent, I was not able to relocate my palace to cities 8 tiles away.

I can only guess: By adding a defense value to the palace, you have changed its nature to a 'normal' small wonder (which can't be relocated, only rebuilt when it has been destroyed).

Comment

• I reloaded my corruption-testing beta6 save game (Babylonians 2054 AD). On a small continent, I was not able to relocate my palace to cities 8 tiles away.

I can only guess: By adding a defense value to the palace, you have changed its nature to a 'normal' small wonder (which can't be relocated, only rebuilt when it has been destroyed).
                  this is a completely unintended side effect, yet i love it!

Comment

• Makes me wonder what other unintended side effects are hidden in beta7 ... but I won't find out until tomorrow.

Comment

• Speaking of unintended side effects: What happens if I draft a industrial/modern defensive unit that - in the blitz mod - already costs 1 pop point when I build it? Either I lose a second pop point, or drafting needs to be seriously rebalanced.

Okay, that's it for today.

Comment

• hopefully it will cost a second population point

i'm getting ready to do some intensive playtesting now and i'll check this and a couple other things out

Comment

• OTOH, as beta7 has been downloaded two times until now, I guess TechWins will soon report his first impressions.
                          Actually enough I'm not the other person who downloaded the mod. I wonder who the mysterioury downloader is? I'm downloading the mod right now, though, but I won't even be able to play it until Wednesday (stupid school and work ). Unless being able to try out the new patch and v.106beta7 both for the first time compells me enough to stay up late and play the game.

Ok, I just looked over a few things I really like all of the improvements you have made. It's too bad that the pyramid/obelisk idea didn't work out. When I noticed this problem in one of my test games with v1.06beta6 I was pissed because I was the one who built the pyramids. I think for the pryamids it should be a small wonder that is cheap and produces a lot of culture but won't do anything else, which in turn makes you drop the whole obelisk building entirely.

A few unit ideas I have:

- make longbowmen cost 20 and not have any resource requirements

-make musketmen/musketeers cost 3. make musketmen have an offense of 2.

-chariots and war chariots should be have a cost of 10

-make tanks, panzers, mech infantry, and modern armor be wheeled as I said before

And the tech rate thing still appears to be a little off, or I may be wrong.

First I'm going to play without any changes to this version, but I thought of a few ideas while briefly reading over the readme and I didn't want to forget them.

EDIT: Just thought of another idea, to slow down the amount of time it takes to get to cavalry gunpowder (musketmen) should have the tech requirement of education and to balance out that effect chivalry (knights) should have the requirement of invention (longbowmen). Also, education should have a prereq of printing press. The ideas keep flowing as I speak.
                          Last edited by TechWins; February 18, 2002, 22:51.
                          However, it is difficult to believe that 2 times 2 does not equal 4; does that make it true? On the other hand, is it really so difficult simply to accept everything that one has been brought up on and that has gradually struck deep roots – what is considered truth in the circle of moreover, really comforts and elevates man? Is that more difficult than to strike new paths, fighting the habitual, experiencing the insecurity of independence and the frequent wavering of one’s feelings and even one’s conscience, proceeding often without any consolation, but ever with the eternal goal of the true, the beautiful, and the good? - F.N.

Comment

• -make tanks, panzers, mech infantry, and modern armor be wheeled as I said before
                            real quick, i originally had it so that tanks, modern armor, mech infantry, and radar artillary were wheeled units, but i changed it at the last minute because i since they are the main AI assault units i was afraid this would handicap the AIs ability to launch a successful invasion since you can't use roads in enemy territory

i was trying to make the switch over as easy as possible and then go from there

Comment

• Originally posted by TechWins
                              I think for the pryamids it should be a small wonder that is cheap and produces a lot of culture but won't do anything else, which in turn makes you drop the whole obelisk building entirely.
                              I'm not sure about changing the Pyramids to a small wonder, but else I agree. Please get rid of Obelisks, korn, IMO they are just ... cheesy. (And I won't say anything against public schools anymore. )

make longbowmen cost 20 and not have any resource requirements
                              As longbowmen are the upgrade of archers, they should cost more than 20 shields. I'd rather give them a defense value of 2 ... that would also make for a smooth transition to the new grenadier unit (archer 2/1/1, longbowman 4/2/1, grenadier 8/4/1).

Comment

• I'm not sure about changing the Pyramids to a small wonder, but else I agree. Please get rid of Obelisks, korn, IMO they are just
                                Well, I thought it would be a good idea to make Pyramids a small wonder because many civilizations built the Pyramids, but in gameplay terms it might not be the smartest thing to do...IDK.

As longbowmen are the upgrade of archers, they should cost more than 20 shields. I'd rather give them a defense value of 2
                                I too thought that having longbowmen being 20 shields would be a bit odd, but having a 2 defense for longbowmen won't really give them a boost. Longbowmen will be used for offense so having a higher defense won't do much. Plus if longbowmen cost 30 and knights cost 60 it would be much smarter to only build knights because they are an all-around good unit. If longbowmen cost 20, though, you would be able to have 3 longbowmen to every knight so they would actually be much more useful.

since they are the main AI assault units i was afraid this would handicap the AIs ability to launch a successful invasion since you can't use roads in enemy territory
                                That is a good point, but I thought that you still got the effects of a road in enemy territory but just without the movement bonus. If you are right, though, I wouldn't make those units wheeled either.

-chariots and war chariots should be have a cost of 10
                                As of right now I have yet to build a chariot. I usually just try to get to horsemen before I even both to build chariots.

-make musketmen/musketeers cost 3. make musketmen have an offense of 2.
                                Pikemen should have a cost of 20

This will get rid of two problems with this change. The problem of pikemen being more desirable to build because of cost and compensate for the lack of usefulness the musketeer has (only a +1 offense when musketmen are primarily used for defense).

EDIT. . .
                                All of the prereqs will balance out the middle ages a lot more, IMO.
                                However, it is difficult to believe that 2 times 2 does not equal 4; does that make it true? On the other hand, is it really so difficult simply to accept everything that one has been brought up on and that has gradually struck deep roots – what is considered truth in the circle of moreover, really comforts and elevates man? Is that more difficult than to strike new paths, fighting the habitual, experiencing the insecurity of independence and the frequent wavering of one’s feelings and even one’s conscience, proceeding often without any consolation, but ever with the eternal goal of the true, the beautiful, and the good? - F.N.

Comment

Working...
                                X