Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Luxury and Resource Trade: I think its a good idea trading, even with your neighbours. Strategically you should even trade luxuries with civs you dono't like as when you go to war with them, they will lose their luxuries and start being unhappy and rebelling. Trading resources mean you control your trading partners.. but make sure they don't control you by having all your resources come from other civs.
    If you really want a resource, use culture, if your desperate go to war and build a city right next to their resource, and make lots of culture so the city won't flip(rebel from enemy culture). Cities automatically occupy every square adjacent(unless one has a strong culture.. they always are given about 3 or so squares to work). It won't take long before it might flip back to your enemy, but you could disband the city and leave a ruin which will stop the enemy using the square for a while. also pillage its land. IT gives you that resource for a few turns, and more importantly stops the enemy using it, this is best done in a group of resources, such as spices or other luxuries which tend to group or huddle together.

Comment

• Whats the situation with strategic resources such as iron. Is there a set amount which will run out when you build a certain number of units that require the resource or does it disappear after a certain number of turns regardless of how much you use?

Comment

• OK, so nobody knows.

Comment

• No it is not like Warcraft. It has some random factor to determine if it depletes or not. That is why players often do not hook up their sole source until they need it.

Comment

• Thanks vmxa - useful info

Comment

• Originally posted by vmxa1
              No it is not like Warcraft. It has some random factor to determine if it depletes or not. That is why players often do not hook up their sole source until they need it.
              So it can deplete just by being connected to a city? I'd assumed it was only if you have a citizen in a city working that square.
              Enjoy Slurm - it's highly addictive!

Comment

• AFAIK it only needs to be connected to have a chance to deplete. I know it has depleted without anyone workering it in CivIII. Well I should say I am pretty sure it happened to me before.

Comment

• Yes, strategic resources are affected by a random depletion factor as long as they're connected. I'm not sure of the values, but I do know that Oil is the resource with the highest depletion factor: it has a 0.5% chance of depleting every turn.

Comment

• Here you have some additional information about resource depletion factors (per turn, from oldest to newest):

Horses 0.000 %
                    Iron 0.125 %
                    Saltpeter 0.125 %
                    Coal 0.250 %
                    Oil 0.500 %
                    Rubber 0.000 %
                    Aluminum 0.250 %
                    Uranium 1.000 %

PS: I was wrong earlier. As you can see, Uranium is the most "depletable" resource, not Oil.

Comment

• is this game anything like RA2. sorry if i soulnd ignorant on this, just curious
                      SpreadTheCheese.com

Comment

• If you mean Red Alert II, then no. Civ is a turn based game and is not geared for war perse.
                        RA is an RTS, where combat is nearly the whole thing. I like both games, though.

Comment

• Q: how do i open my map? (I made a map,played it,and now want to modify it?editor keeps opening a blank map,Why?...I accidently posted in wrong place'general')

Comment

• Q. Are the 100% bonuses from Copernicus' observatory, Newton's university or the SETI program cumulative?

A. No. Each give you 100% of the trade you allocate to science. If you have 40 trade coming from your city and you allocate 75% science you will recieve 90 beakers towards research if you have both Copernicus' and Newtons', but no library.

Q. Are the science benefits from libraries, universities and research labs cumulative with other improvements, or with the above Great Wonders?

A. No. If you have 40 trade coming from your city and you allocate 75% science you will recieve 105 beakers towards research if you have both Copernicus' and Newtons', with a library, but no university. That is, 30 for the trade, 30 for each wonder and 15 for the library.

This is just a quick question with an answer, because I spent hours looking for the answer here and on google, and couldn't find it.

Comment

• It would be clearer to say that these bonuses are all additive as opposed to multiplicative.
                              Enjoy Slurm - it's highly addictive!

Comment

• (More intelligent question than my last post) Q:Is it possible to somehow use or edit C3C maps with civ3 1.29 editor/mapmaker? (theres alot of huge C3C maps out there id love to use)

Comment

Working...
                                X