Lords of the Ring Scenarios started

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

jdd2007:

Thanx for the information, but a while back, together with Immortal Wombat, I got already some information together. I added some of your info too, look for the result at http://users.pandora.be/aragorn and scroll through the civilizations.

I resulted also in two new problems to solve, as mentioned in the problems list for the scenario at my site:

1) What is the english name of the leader of the ents, in dutch it is 'Boombaard'.
    2) What would be a good name for the civilization for Saruman en Sauron. I could use the color the clothes their armies were wearing: red and black. And what would be a good name for a civilization, representing the alliance between Shelob and Gollem.

Anyone??????

Admiral PS:

Originally posted by Admiral PJ
    'my mother-thong being Dutch ' - well a thong is a piece of underwear should be spelt tongue. sorry to laugh, you should keep this - its funny.
    Ok, it IS funny, but I kept it

Maybe your scenario could be made as lots of small scenarios that link or you just record the number of points you get.
    This would allow for more units and terrain types.
    Perhaps if you have sea as the edge of the world, and don't allow ships , or ban ports from the seacoast (maybe you can have boats along 'rivers' still). This way you will have a 'flat world' with no going from east to west on the mapedge.
    Some scenarios will be all-out war scenario's, others will be RPG scenarios, and these probably will consist out of multiple little once, or maybe not, but then only characters, civs, units, ... will only come available if they should come available according the book

I am a C++ programmer, can do art and game design etc.
    I have the flu right now, so my brain is not working correctly.
    I will talk to you again when I am sane
    I am lousy in art, and any suggestions in game design are always welcome.

Get better quick

Aragorn

Comment

my list was not at all complete. i would love suggestions for changes and additions

o, my orc civ, led by sauron, should be named something else, as they were only a part of his kingdom. and also, heres a secret, i didnt finish the book. i only got half way through the second part...

Comment

Originally posted by jdd2007
        my list was not at all complete. i would love suggestions for changes and additions

o, my orc civ, led by sauron, should be named something else, as they were only a part of his kingdom. and also, heres a secret, i didnt finish the book. i only got half way through the second part...
        New update:

I added a page where suggestions for RPG rules are listed. These rules could also be used for the all-out war scenarios.
        It is only a list, since a scripting tool is still missing.

Three more problems added:
        1) What about Gandalf (alias Mithrandir). I was thinking about a kind of nomadic civilization, with only one unit = Gandalf himself.
        2) Tom Bambodill is the last un-used creature in the book that was not mentioned yet. How could he be integrated into the story.
        3) What to do with the four rings. Two out of the three rings were guarded by Elrond and Galadriel. The tird one was given by Círdan, the lord of the Grey Havens to Gandalf. And what with the fourth ring, THE ring guarded by Frodo.

Any suggestions?

jdd2007:

For these suggestions, have a look at my homepage: http://users.pandora.be/aragorn

Aragorn

Comment

What about this possible solution to problem nr 5:

What about Gandalf (alias Mithrandir).

Solution 1:
          I was thinking about a kind of nomadic civilization, with only one unit = Gandalf himself.
          I could make him an Elf, it is stated that Círdan, the lord of the Grey Havens knew Gandalf when his ship, coming from the west (probably coming from Valinor), landed there. But this could also mean he is a Valar or a Maya.

Solution 2:
          Or maybe, I could make an extra civilization: 'Fellowship of the Ring' with Gandalf as the only unit, with extreme diplomatic powers, who can easiliy persuade 'good' civilizations to join him into a alliance.

Aragorn

Comment

Glad to see someone is making a LOTR scenario!!!! I can't wait for the movie(s)!!!!

Is this scenario going to mirror the storyline of the books?

Comment

Everybody,

English is not my mother-tongue, so I need somebody to help me out with the plurality, civ gender, noun and adjective of all my civilizations. Can anybody help me? Habe a look at http://users.pandora.be/aragorn for all my civilizations

While you guys help me with this, I will make a map by the end of the weeken, this should result in a VERYYY basic scenario by the beginning of next week.

Red October:

Originally posted by Red October
              Is this scenario going to mirror the storyline of the books?
              Some will some wont, but let me start with a simple scenario, since a scripting tool is lacking for the moment.

Aragorn.

Comment

Originally posted by Aragorn

1) What is the english name of the leader of the ents, in dutch it is 'Boombaard'.
                In English his name is Treebeard... the book also uses Fangorn.

2) What would be a good name for the civilization for Saruman en Sauron. I could use the color the clothes their armies were wearing: red and black. And what would be a good name for a civilization, representing the alliance between Shelob and Gollem.
                Actually Saruman and Sauron were quite seperate in the books. For Saruman, White Hand (that's the symbol his Uruk-Hai used) or Isengard (the valley his tower was in) would probably fit best. Not sure what name would work best for Sauron's civ. Mordor probably. As for Gollum and Shelob, they didn't really have an 'alliance'... Gollum just knew that Shelob was there, and he was so desperate to get his Precious back that he sent the hobbits into her caves.

Comment

Everybody,

On http://users.pandora.be/aragorn , I added terrain types and natural resources. Not all resources yet, but that will depend on the advances I will create for all the civs. That list is being created now too.

I do need som graphics though:

Graphics for terrain: swamp and dead land (misty black tiles)
                  Graphics for resources: mithril (kind of white metal) and tabbaco

Can anyone help me with that?

Have a look at my other issues too plz

Aragorn

Comment

Here's a couple real quick mock-ups for mithril and tobacco. The terrains require a LOT more work, and I doubt I could do a good job at all on them. Maybe you should see if Sn00py would be willing to help?
                    Attached Files

Comment

I have started a project to create scenarios according all the books of JRR Tolkien. Progress can be followed at http://users.pandora.be/aragorn.
                      didnt see the link, sorry.

Comment

those lookexcellent, Zurai001

Comment

re:

Dwarves:
                          Thorin died. Dain should be leader.
                          Elves:
                          If the capital is Lorien, make it Galadriel.
                          Other cities: Grey Havens.
                          Hobbits:
                          The Shire is not a city, it's the country name. Hobbiton should be its capital. Bree is a human city
                          Mordor:
                          Isengard should be an Isengarder city, belonging to Saruman. Its own civ, ready to cause trouble for anyone.
                          Rohan:
                          Other cities: Helm's Deep
                          Gondor:
                          no other cities? Hard to make them a powerful force if their army support comes out of one city.

Rivers Anduin and Running (into Long Lake) should be shallow water, other rivers should be rivers.

1) Treebeard or Fangorn depending on whether you are using hobbit language, or elven names.
                          2) Samuran leads the Isengarder civ, white hand motif, also includes human armies of Dunland. (see Harlan's Civ2 scenario)
                          Sauron leads (for want of a better name) the Mordor civ, or the Evil. Red and Black, with all-seeing eye motif (see below).
                          Shelob and Gollum's little alliance is tricky. In Ctp I was planning to 'give' Gollum to the Fellowship Civ once they got to the Dead Marshes, and having him will allow you to get into the secret valley. Then he changes sides to Mordor or barbarians, and Chelob appears. She has either no movement points, or is trapped between two mountains, unable to escape (CtP had separate flags for movement in mountains and flat land.)
                          This could be impossible without a scripting language, so I would have them as barbarian units. Chelob had no movement, but blocks the way through the valley, Gollum is a speedy stealth unit.

Three more problems added:
                          1) What about Gandalf (alias Mithrandir). I was thinking about a kind of nomadic civilization, with only one unit = Gandalf himself.
                          2) Tom Bambodill is the last un-used creature in the book that was not mentioned yet. How could he be integrated into the story.
                          3) What to do with the four rings. Two out of the three rings were guarded by Elrond and Galadriel. The tird one was given by Círdan, the lord of the Grey Havens to Gandalf. And what with the fourth ring, THE ring guarded by Frodo.
                          1) Belonging to the fellowship in RPG scenarios, or Gondor in all-out-war I would think. On his own, he cant really do much.
                          2) Maybe the druidain, ents, tom bombadil, etc. could all be grouped into a kind of woodland folk civ, that helped out when it could. I may still be thinking in terms of a scripting language, but it could be worth a try.
                          3) (I have a ring sprite if you need) I would say make the cities of Rivendell (Elrond), Lorien (Galadriel) and Grey Havens (Cirdan) powerful healing centres. But again, scripting langauge is missing. I think as units, they dont play much of a part in the story, except the ONE ring, which should be a unit, carryable only by Frodo, and perhaps Sam. (Harlan also gave the longship the ability to carry the ring, so the Hobbits could cross the Anduin)

Graphics for terrain: swamp and dead land (misty black tiles)
                          Like in CtP2? Martin the Dane's TileEdit program can get them out if you like.

Also:
                          Eagles and the Army of the Dead. Yes/No? How?

Damn hard to make a fully-covering scenario, but if you can do it, it should be great. Good luck.

Ben
                          Attached Files
                          Concrete, Abstract, or Squoingy?
                          "I don't believe in giving scripting languages because the only additional power they give users is the power to create bugs." - Mike Breitkreutz, Firaxis

Comment

didnt see the link, sorry.
                            Aragorn only puts the link to his homepage in every post after all.

Your site looks greate, by the way, Aragorn... But you really should read the Lord of the Rings (not Lords of the Ring) in English, you know. Unless you´re younger than 18 you have no excuse whatsoever, and even if you are you could give it a try! (I´m Belgian too)

Some more corrections:
                            It´s Bilbo and Frodo Baggins not Baggings, I wouldn´t make Buckland or Southfarthing hobbit citiesthey´re names of regions, not cities. Especially because there are so many Shire city names available already, there´s no reason why you should resort to names like that. How about these:
                            Hobbiton, Bywater, Frogmorton, Stock, Waymoot, Whitfurrows, Rushey, Overhill, Newbury... Plenty to choose from, just find a map of the Shire (like here: http://www.users.wineasy.se/aragorn/...y/tolkien/maps )

Rivendell is spelt with to l´s.

Flat maps and placing starting positions for specific civs is not possible, you´ll have to wait till the patch.

What do you really have in mind for a scenario? I mean, if Gandalf is a separate civ, and Gollum AI-controlled how could a human possibly sufficiently control the storyline to get the company to destroy the ring? Theoretically speaking, a separate Gandalf civ is nice, since he was kind of independant, but it isn´t really feasible, unless you´re making the scenario specifically multiplayer. And even then, it would be rather dull playing that civ. I doubt there will come smart enough scripting languages/AI expansions to allow for something like that.
                            Do you really want something in the style of Harlan´s scenario (i.e. a full-scale war scenario, focussed around Gondor and getting the ring to Orodruin to win) or something only inspired by LOTR?
                            Preparing city lists, for instance, seems to be rather superfluous to me. Just find a few maps of Middle-earth (see link above as well) and there you have your cities.
                            The first significant step is probably to decide which civilizations should be involved, since we can now have 16 in stead of 7 (yay! ). But still, unless it´s gonna become a multiplayer scenario, there will only be one civ played by humans, and thus only one civ that can be intelligently guided to follow the course of the book.

Here´s perhaps a nice site featuring flags of the nations of Middle-earth:
                            Civilization II: maps, guides, links, scenarios, patches and utilities (+ Civ2Tech and CivEngineer)

Comment

Re: re:

Wombat:

Originally posted by Immortal Wombat
                              Dwarves:
                              Thorin died. Dain should be leader.
                              Elves:
                              If the capital is Lorien, make it Galadriel.
                              Other cities: Grey Havens.
                              Hobbits:
                              The Shire is not a city, it's the country name. Hobbiton should be its capital. Bree is a human city
                              Mordor:
                              Isengard should be an Isengarder city, belonging to Saruman. Its own civ, ready to cause trouble for anyone.
                              Rohan:
                              Other cities: Helm's Deep
                              Gondor:
                              no other cities? Hard to make them a powerful force if their army support comes out of one city.
                              What is happening man. All this info is on my site http://users.pandora.be/aragorn (lets repeat it once again) I combined the info I already had with the inof we got together on the CTP2 thread.

Originally posted by Immortal Wombat
                              1) Treebeard or Fangorn depending on whether you are using hobbit language, or elven names.
                              I was planning to use the common language: Westron

Thanx for all the other remarks, but I guess I have to do without scripting now, and therefore I am just focussing on the map, the terrain, resources, advances, units, ... for now.

This will lead in a funny scenario where civilizations will start at incorrect starting locations. So trying to match the gameplay to the book will be impossible. Therefore I think I will add Gandalf to the Hobbits.

Thats unfortunatly all thats possible for now.

Aragorn

Comment

Mercator,

Originally posted by Mercator
                                Your site looks greate, by the way, Aragorn... But you really should read the Lord of the Rings (not Lords of the Ring) in English, you know. Unless you´re younger than 18 you have no excuse whatsoever, and even if you are you could give it a try! (I´m Belgian too)
                                You are right, I will get the book

Some more corrections:
                                It´s Bilbo and Frodo Baggins not Baggings, I wouldn´t make Buckland or Southfarthing hobbit citiesthey´re names of regions, not cities. Especially because there are so many Shire city names available already, there´s no reason why you should resort to names like that. How about these:
                                Hobbiton, Bywater, Frogmorton, Stock, Waymoot, Whitfurrows, Rushey, Overhill, Newbury... Plenty to choose from, just find a map of the Shire (like here: http://www.users.wineasy.se/aragorn/...y/tolkien/maps )

Rivendell is spelt with to l´s.

Flat maps and placing starting positions for specific civs is not possible, you´ll have to wait till the patch.
                                Done

What do you really have in mind for a scenario? I mean, if Gandalf is a separate civ, and Gollum AI-controlled how could a human possibly sufficiently control the storyline to get the company to destroy the ring? Theoretically speaking, a separate Gandalf civ is nice, since he was kind of independant, but it isn´t really feasible, unless you´re making the scenario specifically multiplayer. And even then, it would be rather dull playing that civ. I doubt there will come smart enough scripting languages/AI expansions to allow for something like that.
                                Do you really want something in the style of Harlan´s scenario (i.e. a full-scale war scenario, focussed around Gondor and getting the ring to Orodruin to win) or something only inspired by LOTR?
                                Preparing city lists, for instance, seems to be rather superfluous to me. Just find a few maps of Middle-earth (see link above as well) and there you have your cities.
                                The first significant step is probably to decide which civilizations should be involved, since we can now have 16 in stead of 7 (yay! ). But still, unless it´s gonna become a multiplayer scenario, there will only be one civ played by humans, and thus only one civ that can be intelligently guided to follow the course of the book.
                                What do I have in mind? Well I told Wombat in my last post, for now, I just want to get the scenario ready, without paying attention to the gameplay. And Gandalf will be added to the Hobbits civilization.

As soon as a scripting language comes available, I will try to make a REAL RPG scenario. As Wombat mentioned already, I tried this for CTP2 also, and there I even got the Oroduin volcano to destroy tiles and stuff. I rather like scripting then doing the arts.

Hope this helps to get an idea of what to expect

Aragorn

Comment

Working...
                                X