Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lords of the Ring Scenarios started

Hi Guys,

I have started a project to create scenarios according all the books of JRR Tolkien. Progress can be followed at http://users.pandora.be/aragorn.

Please do not hesitate to post me corrections (since my mother-tongue is dutch), suggestions, ... through this forum or via email

Aragorn

Sorry, the website needs to be: http://users.pandora.be/aragorn

Aragorn

Comment

Do you have any screenshots yet? (btw: I get a javascript error when I go over the science text)
      The one previously known as Eru_Iluvatar; also bearing the name Bart Coppens

Comment

Get back and finish the CtP2 one you started

I still got some city graphics lying around if you want.
        Concrete, Abstract, or Squoingy?
        "I don't believe in giving scripting languages because the only additional power they give users is the power to create bugs." - Mike Breitkreutz, Firaxis

Comment

Wombat,

I know, CTP2 did not turn out very well. There were too many files (manually) to change, and I kept on getting errors. This time thereis a nice customization tool, but the map editor is not very nice (yet) and there is no scripting language.

But ... there is hope since they promised new and better tools. So ... hoping for more and better, I started again.

Bart Coppens: I do not have screenshots yet, I am just getting the info together, and I am testing some settings on units, civs and governments and things. I will post some scenarios before the new tools arrive, but I do not expect it too be state-of-the-art

But do not hesitate to make suggestions. Suggestions will get posted on my website also: http://users.pandora.be/aragorn

Aragorn

Comment

Aragorn, good luck making the mod, I hope it turns out really good! I loved that series of books!

Wombat:
            Hey, what have you been up to, haven't seen you around here in a long time. You still posting regularly? What do you think of CIV3? (Sorry for the off-topic part!!)
            DO, OR DO NOT, THERE IS NO TRY - Yoda
            EAGLES MAY SOAR, BUT... WEASLES DON'T GET SUCKED INTO JET ENGINES - Unknown
            AMBITION IS A POOR EXSCUSE FOR PEOPLE WHO ARE TOO STUPID TO BE LAZY - Unknown

Comment

Let me keep you informed on the problems I encounter for the moment. They are also added to the scenario page on my website http://users.pandora.be/aragorn

1) I cannot get players to start always at the same location
              2) Map borders on all sides do not seem to be possible

These problems seem only solvable through a new version of the map editor which allow these functionalities. Hopefully, Firaxis is aware of these needs.

Edward

Comment

could someone direct me to a nice free online gallery of tolkien art? maybe pictures from the calenders or something. I want paintings more than video captures of the movie.

thanks, or if you have some high res ones , send them to my email address

Comment

OT

Originally posted by Aragorn
                  I know, CTP2 did not turn out very well. There were too many files (manually) to change, and I kept on getting errors. This time thereis a nice customization tool, but the map editor is not very nice (yet) and there is no scripting language.
                  The more extensive files should make higher customization possible, and once you get to know them its pretty good. If Civ3 can get a decent map editor, and a scripting language, I'll try making my own scenario. Before that, CtP2's scenarios (probably even Civ2's too) can be better.
                  Originally posted by Rhuarc
                  Wombat:
                  Hey, what have you been up to, haven't seen you around here in a long time. You still posting regularly? What do you think of CIV3? (Sorry for the off-topic part!!)
                  Yup, still here every day I don't have Civ3 yet. Wrong continent Actually, I'm still deciding whether or not to get it.

Anyway, I have a huge(ish) collection of units and city graphics. I got a troll sprite, made by law that could possible be adapted for Civ3.
                  "I don't believe in giving scripting languages because the only additional power they give users is the power to create bugs." - Mike Breitkreutz, Firaxis

Comment

Originally posted by Black Superman
                    could someone direct me to a nice free online gallery of tolkien art? maybe pictures from the calenders or something. I want paintings more than video captures of the movie.
                    Do a search at Google. There are thousands, most have calendar pictures on them.

Comment

good point.

here's a good link for anyone else looking for the same thing.

Comment

funny u should mention this. i made a list of cities and things for a lord of the rings scenario a while back in a thread called Make a Civ. i cant find that thread. i think it was in the civ3-civilizations forum. it had tons of ideas

Comment

I would also recommend anyone with Civ2 downloading and playing Harlan's LOTR scenario! Its fantastic.

Comment

FOUND IT

on page 5 of Civ3-Civilizations

Here it is-

Civ-Dwarves
                            Leader-Thorin(?)
                            Capital- Lonely Mountain?
                            Other Cities-Moria?(will edit later)
                            Great Leaders-Gloin, Gimli, Thorin(?), Thror
                            Civ Specific Unit-Dwarf Warrior 3-3-1
                            Civ Attributes-Industrious and Militaristic

Civ-Elves
                            Leader-Galadrial
                            Capital-Lorien, for sure
                            Other Cities-Rivendell...
                            Great Leaders-Legolas, Thranduil, Elrond
                            Civ Specific Unit-Elven Bowman 4-2-1 TASaR double movement in forest
                            Civ Attributes-Religious (?) and Scientific (Elven Magic)

Civ-Hobbits
                            Leader-Bilbo Baggins
                            Capital-The Shire
                            Other Cities-Brandybuck, Bree, Buckland
                            Great Leaders-Peregrin, Sam, Frodo, Meriadoc,
                            Civ Specific Unit-uhhh improved worker(?) builds anything in one turn, or has increased movement
                            Civ Attributes-Industrious and Scientific

Civ-Orcs
                            Leader-Sauron?
                            Capital-Mountain of Fire?
                            Other Cities- Minas Morgul, Cirith Ungol, Barad Dur, Isengard
                            Great Leaders-Chieftain 1, Chieftan 2, etc
                            Civ Specific Unit-Orcs or Uruk Hai (very cheap to build) 2-2-1
                            Civ Attributes-Militaristic and Expansionist

Rohan-
                            Leader -Théoden
                            Capital - Ahh, I don't remember!
                            Other Cities - ?? ?
                            Great Leaders - Éowyn, Éomer
                            Civ Specific Unit - Rohan horseman 4-1-3
                            Civ Attributes -Commercial and Militaristic

Gondor
                            Leader - Denethor
                            Capital - Minas Tirith
                            Other Cities -???
                            Great Leaders - Boromir, Faramir, Aragorn
                            Civ Specific Unit - Tower Guard (Swordsman) 3-3-1
                            Civ Attributes - Industrious and Militaristic
                            Last edited by jdd2007; November 12, 2001, 16:53.

Comment

Sounds like a great idea, especially with the brilliant Lord of the Rings film out soon,

'my mother-thong being Dutch ' - well a thong is a piece of underwear should be spelt tongue. sorry to laugh, you should keep this - its funny.

I'm english so I know some of the culture that this book comes from - things like Pubs, tea parties and the general rolling hills and large old forests. Some of the place names are the same as real english towns, like one near here (but the towns may have been named after the book! )

The Hobbit was the first book I read, though I'm now 24.. I think it was better in some ways.

Maybe your scenario could be made as lots of small scenarios that link or you just record the number of points you get.
                              This would allow for more units and terrain types.
                              Perhaps if you have sea as the edge of the world, and don't allow ships , or ban ports from the seacoast (maybe you can have boats along 'rivers' still). This way you will have a 'flat world' with no going from east to west on the mapedge.

You should put in the Barrow Wights, I like this bit of the book, with some scary hilly barrows too (graves under hills)

I am a C++ programmer, can do art and game design etc.

I have the flu right now, so my brain is not working correctly.
                              I will talk to you again when I am sane

AdmiralPJ
                              or Peter

Comment

Working...
                              X