Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Civilization III BIC file format

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #46
    Iīll be adding things later today, hopefully...
    Another question: Does anyone here have any idea how long it will take for an acceptible patch, adding scenarios support, to come out?
    If itīs gonna take some time, I think we can make a utility to do it ourselves. After all, Civ3 also has savegames, which are in a slightly different format from BIC, and obviously also has city and unit locations etc. in it. Maybe we could also start a thread about the SAV format, and just maybe there will be enough desperate scenario-loving volunteers who can quickly build a utility that can make custom savegames. E.g. it could open up a BIC file, and users can then add units and cities and whatever else is in a savegame and not in a BIC... Even if this would only be a preliminary solution to scenario building, since the scenarios are savegames, they should be loadable in future Civ3 versions, so should be easily converted to scenarios.
    I donīt think Iīm in the position to do much then, but what do you think? Is this feasible and would there be enough interest to make it work before Firaxis does it?
    Civilization II: maps, guides, links, scenarios, patches and utilities (+ Civ2Tech and CivEngineer)

    Comment


    • #47
      Originally posted by Mercator
      Iīll be adding things later today, hopefully...
      Another question: Does anyone here have any idea how long it will take for an acceptible patch, adding scenarios support, to come out?
      If itīs gonna take some time, I think we can make a utility to do it ourselves. After all, Civ3 also has savegames, which are in a slightly different format from BIC, and obviously also has city and unit locations etc. in it. Maybe we could also start a thread about the SAV format, and just maybe there will be enough desperate scenario-loving volunteers who can quickly build a utility that can make custom savegames. E.g. it could open up a BIC file, and users can then add units and cities and whatever else is in a savegame and not in a BIC... Even if this would only be a preliminary solution to scenario building, since the scenarios are savegames, they should be loadable in future Civ3 versions, so should be easily converted to scenarios.
      I donīt think Iīm in the position to do much then, but what do you think? Is this feasible and would there be enough interest to make it work before Firaxis does it?
      I have been thinking about a SAV editor myself, and I will get the game in two days...
      Creator of the Civ3MultiTool

      Comment


      • #48
        I updated the info again, and corrected some mistakes.

        I have been thinking about a SAV editor myself, and I will get the game in two days...


        Great! I should be able to get the game too (the legal version that is), but Iīm not sure if I will, thereīs so much Civ2 work I still have to do.

        I havenīt had much luck finding new things, because Civ3edit keeps crashing on me. I think a Ulead video editor demo screwed with my system files.
        Civilization II: maps, guides, links, scenarios, patches and utilities (+ Civ2Tech and CivEngineer)

        Comment


        • #49
          That unkown long in BLDG is most likely index # of free building in all cities. (Not used by the game, and therefore set to -1 for all)
          Creator of the Civ3MultiTool

          Comment


          • #50
            Originally posted by Gramphos
            That unkown long in BLDG is most likely index # of free building in all cities. (Not used by the game, and therefore set to -1 for all)
            I checked it and you are right, that's what it is.

            Comment


            • #51
              Thatīs the 6th value in the building data yes?
              Whatīs the difference between that value and the one after it? Whatīs it used for? (sorry for my ignorance, Iīm not at Civ3 right now )

              Oh, and I added it.
              Civilization II: maps, guides, links, scenarios, patches and utilities (+ Civ2Tech and CivEngineer)

              Comment


              • #52
                Originally posted by Mercator
                Thatīs the 6th value in the building data yes?
                Whatīs the difference between that value and the one after it? Whatīs it used for?
                Yes, it's the 6th value. It's used to give a free building to all cities in your empire. The following value gives you a free building in all your cities on the same continent as the Wonder. Firaxis chose to only use the "free buildings on the same continent" bonus (Pyramids/Granary, Sun Tzu's Art of War/Barracks, Hoover Dam/Hydro Plant).

                Comment


                • #53
                  What do you think happens If you give a non-wonder a wonder-ability?
                  Creator of the Civ3MultiTool

                  Comment


                  • #54
                    The governments are NOT fixed lenght. The lenght is determined by the number of govts.
                    Creator of the Civ3MultiTool

                    Comment


                    • #55
                      Originally posted by Gramphos
                      The governments are NOT fixed lenght. The lenght is determined by the number of govts.
                      That's right. I've edited my 12 Nov post to remove the reference to a fixed length and the statement that there are 6 entries in the "Versus" table. Mercator: could you please change this in the main post.

                      Comment


                      • #56
                        I can fill in most of the "unknowns" in Gramphos' 12 November post on the RULE section. The remaining 4 unknown fields do not seem to be displayed in the editor, and I don't know if they are used or not.


                        bytes type value
                        -------------------------------------------------------

                        RULE SECTION (General Settings)
                        4 char "RULE"
                        4 long 1 (number of rules)
                        for each RULE
                        4 long Length of RULE-data (not including this value)
                        32 long name of level 1 citysize
                        32 long name of level 2 citysize
                        32 long name of level 3 citysize
                        4 long # of spaceship parts
                        for each spaceship part
                        4 long # needed
                        4 long index # of advanced barbarian unit
                        4 long index # of basic barbarian unit
                        4 long index # of barbarian sea unit
                        4 long # cities required to support an army
                        4 long chance of disorder turning to rioting
                        4 long # turns mood affected for each citizen drafted
                        4 long # shields for 1 gold when building wealth
                        4 long defence bonus in fortress
                        4 long # citizens affected by one happy face
                        4 long ?? (=50)
                        4 long ?? (=2)
                        4 long # shields from clearing forest
                        4 long # gold to hurry 1 shield
                        4 long # shields when sacrificing 1 pop to hurry
                        4 long default difficulty level
                        4 long battle created unit
                        4 long army
                        4 long defense value of building vs bombardment
                        4 long defense value of citizen vs bombardment
                        4 long index # of resource that replaces huts
                        4 long chance of success of intercept mission
                        4 long chance of success of intercept mission vs stealth
                        4 long starting funds
                        4 long ?? (=16)
                        4 long # food per citizen per turn
                        4 long defence bonus when defending across a river
                        4 long # turns mood affected for each citizen sacrificed to hurry
                        4 long index # of free unit for expansionist civs
                        4 long index # of unit that each captured pop point converts to
                        4 long movement rate on roads
                        4 long index # of 1st free unit for all civs
                        4 long index # of 2nd free unit for all civs
                        4 long min pop for We Love The King
                        4 long citylevel 1 defense bonus
                        4 long citylevel 2 defense bonus
                        4 long citylevel 3 defense bonus
                        4 long max pop for city level 1
                        4 long max pop for city level 2
                        4 long ?? (=1000)
                        4 long defense bonus when fortified
                        4 long number of culture levels
                        for each culture level
                        64 string name
                        4 long rate at which borders expand with culture



                        I think that completes all the sections in civ3mod.bic.

                        Comment


                        • #57
                          I think that completes all the sections in civ3mod.bic.

                          At least for the time being

                          Good work, though...


                          Dan
                          Dan Magaha
                          Firaxis Games, Inc.
                          --------------------------

                          Comment


                          • #58
                            Originally posted by Dan Magaha FIRAXIS
                            At least for the time being

                            Good work, though...


                            Dan
                            You (Read Firaxis) have added new sections in the upcoming patch?
                            Creator of the Civ3MultiTool

                            Comment


                            • #59
                              Damn, thats mean Dan!

                              Comment


                              • #60
                                Originally posted by Dan Magaha FIRAXIS
                                At least for the time being
                                I think that can only be good news!
                                Any hints?

                                (sorry for not updating yet, Iīve been lazy, busy and offline)
                                Civilization II: maps, guides, links, scenarios, patches and utilities (+ Civ2Tech and CivEngineer)

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X