No announcement yet.

Poprushing Settlers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

lebensraum: if you're going down this route, you don't care much for keeping the city large. Most of its ability to do anything comes from pop rushing. And that means you limit its size to whatever can cope with the happiness.

With facsim, and 3 mp you can in principle rush 7 times in 20 turns (with 3 mp, 1 naturally content citizen, 3 luxuries and 1 temple) without causing a size 1 city to go into disorder, but only once if you want to keep a size 7 city happy. If you rush 4 times, you can keep at size 4, and if you rush 5 times, you can keep at size 3.

So pick say Elaphantine in Theseus' example. Let it sit at size 3, working 2 irrigated wheat FP and one mined desert. Including the city center, that means the tiles being worked are (in despotism) 212, 502, 502, 021 (assuming my memory is correct that Egypt is non agricultural). That's 3 spt, and +6 food. City grows every 4 turns. When it hits size 4, it is pop-rushed. So every 4 turns it generates 12 shields normally (assuming corruption doesn't lose one of those shields), and 20 shields from pop rushing, giving at nice 30 shield unit (horseman or swordsman) every 4 turns - a pretty nice unit pump. In 20 turns it has rush 5 times, so instead of being happy at size 8, it's maximum size is 3. But it never gets beyond size 3, so there is never a problem - and it quite happily churns out a unit every 4 turns until you want it to do something else.

Comment

That's true vulture, but we were discussing keeping it at size 5. I mistakenly calculated the 3rd lux at +2 which, of course, would need a market.
      One who has a surplus of the unorthodox shall attain surpassing victories. - Sun Pin
      You're wierd. - Krill

An UnOrthOdOx Hobby

Comment

My suggestion...just gift all your cities to the Celts to the northeast. Then you won't have to worry about this situation.

For the record (for those who don't know) I'm playing the Celts and already have seen T's map of the area.

Comment

Originally posted by Rhothaerill
          My suggestion...just gift all your cities to the Celts to the northeast. Then you won't have to worry about this situation.

For the record (for those who don't know) I'm playing the Celts and already have seen T's map of the area.
          Ummm... I wouldn't want to stick you with the problem.
          The greatest delight for man is to inflict defeat on his enemies, to drive them before him, to see those dear to them with their faces bathed in tears, to bestride their horses, to crush in his arms their daughters and wives.

Duas uncias in puncta mortalis est.

Comment

Originally posted by Theseus
            I wouldn't want to stick you with the problem.
            i feel the good in you, banana

@vulture + whoknows
            yep, pop 5 with a market would work. i was actually thinking there wouldn't be any markets built at this stage (still early, still rexing). foolish me, not accounting for the buildererers.
            still, i took the unusual step of actually thinking about what i said, and realised that a 20% lux setting would do the job just as well. with all those rivers about the place, 20% lux shouldn't be much of a prob.

do i get my double-sided light-sabre now? ... do i? huh, do i?

just one quick question, and of course this is impossible to answer for every situation, but..
            all that popping is gonna build up a lot of stored resentment. how do you deal with it when you get to the stage of wanting to let the city grow again?
            nb. one of these places is the capital, so sooner or later, you'll want to give up on the popping and let it build up a bit more.

oh, an' i want one of those haircuts with the teeth, if it's not too much trouble.
            I don't know what I am - Pekka

Comment

I've found the best way is always, ALWAYS to plan ahead.

You've been popping and can support a size 5 city, say?

Now you want it to stop and grow in ~10 turns. It grows a pop every 5 turns itself, and you've been popping every 5 turns.

This means that every 5 turns, 1 of your stored up unhappiness goes away. So, Your next poprush, do a settler.

City is at size 3. Grows to size 4 in 5 turns, do not pop. Grows to size 5 in 10 turns, just when you decided to let it grow, but now 2 of your stored unhappiness are gone and you can support size 7! Now you can really hit the food and get it to size 7 in the next 5 turns if you can. Hey look, another another stored up unhappiness gone. Get up to size 8, then wait for that last stored unhappiness to dissipate. There you go, you're out of the hole.
              One who has a surplus of the unorthodox shall attain surpassing victories. - Sun Pin
              You're wierd. - Krill

An UnOrthOdOx Hobby

Comment

I also anticipate that getting to the 3rd and possibly 4th luxuries will alleviate any stored resentment preventing growth.
                The greatest delight for man is to inflict defeat on his enemies, to drive them before him, to see those dear to them with their faces bathed in tears, to bestride their horses, to crush in his arms their daughters and wives.

Duas uncias in puncta mortalis est.

Comment

Originally posted by UnOrthOdOx
                  This means that every 5 turns, 1 of your stored up unhappiness goes away.
                  How is this? How can 1 stored-up-unhappiness go away every 5 turns instead of 20?

Comment

Originally posted by Cort Haus
                    How is this? How can 1 stored-up-unhappiness go away every 5 turns instead of 20?
                    Well, if you Poprush every 5 turns, you will eventually hit a point, where it does seem to be doing just that. That will be the one from long ago, of course, which is exactly what makes the whole thing stable.
                    Seriously. Kung freaking fu.

Comment

Got it! Thanks, Modo .

Comment

Working...
                      X