Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Poprushing Settlers

What are thoughts on this?

As a specific for instance, I have a city on a river with six, yep six wheat floodplains accessible... in despotism, with two luxuries. I'm REL, so a Temple is tempting. What is the optimum size? How important is a Granary? How many shields should I be trying to balance against food?

Most importantly, what should I be poprushing? When? It's a ridiculous surfeit of food, and I'm not quite sure what to do with it.
    The greatest delight for man is to inflict defeat on his enemies, to drive them before him, to see those dear to them with their faces bathed in tears, to bestride their horses, to crush in his arms their daughters and wives.

Duas uncias in puncta mortalis est.

pop rush a temple but keep the population because they provide commerce

Comment

Don't waste them all on 1 city.

Comment

Originally posted by Aeson
        Don't waste them all on 1 city.
        I'm not... five out of six can be shared by two of three cities; the one city originally referenced is just the most extreme. The questions still stand though; I am honestly at a bit of a loss as to how to maximize all the food that can be harvested.
        The greatest delight for man is to inflict defeat on his enemies, to drive them before him, to see those dear to them with their faces bathed in tears, to bestride their horses, to crush in his arms their daughters and wives.

Comment

Originally posted by Theseus

I'm not... five out of six can be shared by two of three cities; the one city originally referenced is just the most extreme. The questions still stand though; I am honestly at a bit of a loss as to how to maximize all the food that can be harvested.
          What kind of shield tiles are around it? If you got hills, bonus grass, forests or plains, you should be able to build several pumps right there...
          Founder of The Glory of War, CHAMPIONS OF APOLYTON!!!
          1992-Perot , 1996-Perot , 2000-Bush , 2004-Bush :|, 2008-Obama :|, 2012-Obama , 2016-Clinton , 2020-Biden

Comment

I don't think I'd be inclind to pop-rush more than one settler.
            "I used to be a Scotialist, and spent a brief period as a Royalist, but now I'm PC"
            -me, discussing my banking history.

Comment

Originally posted by Donegeal
              What kind of shield tiles are around it? If you got hills, bonus grass, forests or plains, you should be able to build several pumps right there...
              That's the bad part... there's no real balance. Food food food and crap. Mostly desert and plains, so I'm dealing with a fairly extreme food situation. That's why I am focused on the best way to poprush, as opposed to the more normal balance of food and shields.

Comment

Not ideal, certainly, but a wheat FP and mined desert balances out to a pair of mined grasslands under despotism (4f2s for the pair), and two mined grasslands plus a food bonus once you irrigate or switch governments.

Now, knowing you, I'm sure you've taken that into account and your particular situation doesn't allow for many pairs like that, but I wanted to point it out for anybody who might not have considered looking at it that way.
                Solomwi is very wise. - Imran Siddiqui

Comment

Here, I thought I'd make it easier to discuss.

In full disclosure, this is part of my position as Egypt in the Dual Dynasty PBEM:
                  Attached Files

Comment

[Note: I'm not actually building those GWs]

As Solomonwi points out, I can balance the huge food surplus with desert and plains mines... that just sucks though.

Even so, the huge amount of food available, even in despotism, gave rise to me posting this thread.

Comment

Covering up the actual builds, eh? Nice move.

Well, that definitely looks like Egypt.

Comment

Originally posted by Solomwi
                        Well, that definitely looks like Egypt.
                        Yeah, I hadn't thought of that... north to south reversed, although I'm sure the ancient Egyptians didn't think of it that way.

And yeah, that's the fundamental problem, maybe the same that caused the Egyptians to last so damn long, but also be so vulnerable as tech evolved: abundant food (depending on that Nilometer thing they had), and good luxuries, but not enough basic or strategic resources.

Comment

Just think how frustrated you're going to be when you don't have saltpeter with all that desert.

I wish I had some productive suggestions, but I rarely poprush, though I've been trying to make an effort to do it more, so anything I could give is theoretical only.

Comment

Well, you do share the tiles already. If you do not focus the food on one city, pop-rushing Settlers is hardly an option. Personally, I would rather have three normal pumps than a single weird one.

I would say Mining all around the cities ASAP is what you should do (Plains too). With that kind of food, the balance should arrive at or near what a pure Grassland city has. Working most of the time as if without Bonus Grassland, but still pretty good. I would say pump out a ridiculous amount of Workers and then start building normally.

Besides, you know the drill, do you not? Post the save.
                            Seriously. Kung freaking fu.

Comment

Is posting a save kosher when it's a PBEM?

Comment

Working...
                              X