Poprushing Settlers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Solomwi
    Is posting a save kosher when it's a PBEM?
    Exactly why I changed the smiley to a more apropriate one.

But seriously, Pop-rushing Settlers is something I reserve for the late game, for cities that need an extreme population trimming.
    Last edited by Modo44; April 3, 2005, 05:46.
    Seriously. Kung freaking fu.

Comment

Gotcha. Missed the smiley.
      Solomwi is very wise. - Imran Siddiqui

Comment

heh, heh, heh ... careful what you wish for, bw

*lebensraum drools at the thought of pop-rushing sistine chapel

personally i like the thought of becoming an international slave trader. shame i can't see it working. the only good thing you'd get from trading workers en masse would be tech and gold (maybe some lux i guess). by the looks of it, you won't be short of cash, and it would only strengthen the opposition. but it's a thought.

i'd be more inclined to use starvation than indiscriminate popp-ing. at size 7 you can still get 15 sheilds for one turn of starvation, without the happiness hit (7*mined desert + 1 from the city centre).

turn-wise, it works out about the same, thebes and alex. both need two turns to grow for each pop point. starting from pop 4, that makes it
        2 turns ==> pop 5
        2 turns ==> pop 6
        2 turns ==> pop 7
        1 turn ==> pop 4 (settler + starvation/rush)

not very efficient, and i'm sure they can do six turn settlers somehow. sadly i keep being distracted by work just now and can't get the figures right.

elephantine, however is a different story, it doesn't have the same access to multiple desert squares, so starvation won't have as much of a payoff. on top of that, it gets all the wheat and can grow in one turn. if the cruel oppression gets too much maybe you can afford to pick up an extra lux or two.

in brief, for thebes 'n alex. let 'em eat snake
        for elephant... pop those plebs, my pinko buddy
        I don't know what I am - Pekka

Comment

"*lebensraum drools at the thought of pop-rushing sistine chapel "

That's not possible, BTW.
          "I used to be a Scotialist, and spent a brief period as a Royalist, but now I'm PC"
          -me, discussing my banking history.

Comment

Actually, I do have a suggestion on how to deal with that ridiculous food surplus:

Tribbles, anyone?

"...your Caravel has killed a Spanish Man-o-War."

Comment

But then you'd have a Tribble problem....

Which is worse, I wonder.
              I've allways wanted to play "Russ Meyer's Civilization"

Comment

Re: Poprushing Settlers

Originally posted by Theseus
                What are thoughts on this?

As a specific for instance, I have a city on a river with six, yep six wheat floodplains accessible... in despotism, with two luxuries. I'm REL, so a Temple is tempting. What is the optimum size? How important is a Granary? How many shields should I be trying to balance against food?

Most importantly, what should I be poprushing? When? It's a ridiculous surfeit of food, and I'm not quite sure what to do with it.

Alright...

As someone who has more of a penchant for the poprush than most folks, I can perhaps be of some help here.

Ok.

If you are seriously looking at poprushing, a granary can be quite usefull even with this embarassment of food.

Temples are something to build everywhere you can handle the gpt.

Poprushing in general should only be done once/20 turns. And you want to poprush for 20 shields, no more or less. That said...there are some extremes you can take it. Given 2 lux and 2 police, you can support a size 3 city popped twice without a temple. 3 times with. This is without sliders and assuming emperor or higher difficulty.

So, in the given scenario, I would see poprushing as a surplus to your shield potential. Even with the overlap your shield starvation will become problematic.

So, what to poprush? I prefer to look at it as a 20 shield discount on what I need, and plan accordingly. Hey, look...near militaristic barracks costs...
                One who has a surplus of the unorthodox shall attain surpassing victories. - Sun Pin
                You're wierd. - Krill

An UnOrthOdOx Hobby

Comment

Thanks, UnO... that is more the line of thinking I had in mind.

Re unhappiness: If I have three lux, a Temple, and two MPs, can't I poprush to my hearts content as long as I max out at 5pop?
                  The greatest delight for man is to inflict defeat on his enemies, to drive them before him, to see those dear to them with their faces bathed in tears, to bestride their horses, to crush in his arms their daughters and wives.

Duas uncias in puncta mortalis est.

Comment

nm
                    Last edited by Krill; April 4, 2005, 13:57.
                    You just wasted six ... no, seven ... seconds of your life reading this sentence.

Comment

Sorry for the offtopic but what mod are you using to display those icons next to resources?

Comment

Originally posted by Theseus
                        Thanks, UnO... that is more the line of thinking I had in mind.

Re unhappiness: If I have three lux, a Temple, and two MPs, can't I poprush to my hearts content as long as I max out at 5pop?
                        I once had the same thought, and attempted similar under Fascism with a hopelessly corrupt city.

It DID eventually bite me, but it took a LONG LONG time. I was at pop 5 and poprushing every 3 turns when it grew (similar setup to your cities, with a granary). It was a good 10 poprushes into it before I took a happiness hit, and I can't promise some of them weren't double pops either. I think you could maintain a happiness at size 5 growing (and thus rushing) every 5 turns.
                        One who has a surplus of the unorthodox shall attain surpassing victories. - Sun Pin
                        You're wierd. - Krill

An UnOrthOdOx Hobby

Comment

Out of curiousity I looked it up to double check myself, and yes, with your setup you could maintain happiness poprushing every 5 turns in a size 5 city, popping the turn it goes 6.

So, I would say your food/shield shield intake would need to match whatever you planned on building to accomidate the build with -20 shields.

2 meager SPT would give you 5 turn sword/horse/temples/settlers* for instance... (obvious pop drop problems with the settler)

Basically look at poprushing/5 turns = 4 SPT.

(hmm...size 5 cities...poprushing...am I smelling a feudalism?)
                          You're wierd. - Krill

An UnOrthOdOx Hobby

Comment

Food is power.

And yeah, I think feudalism is prolly the way to go... hmm, I hadn't thought of gov choice that way before: If food aplenty, then poprush, thus feudalism.
                            The greatest delight for man is to inflict defeat on his enemies, to drive them before him, to see those dear to them with their faces bathed in tears, to bestride their horses, to crush in his arms their daughters and wives.

Duas uncias in puncta mortalis est.

Comment

Your journey towards the darkside is nearly complete.

You know, there's 3 MP in Feudalism. That would allow Popping every 4 turns...
                              Last edited by UnOrthOdOx; April 6, 2005, 12:13.
                              You're wierd. - Krill

An UnOrthOdOx Hobby

Comment

Originally posted by UnOrthOdOx
                                Your journey towards the darkside is nearly complete.
                                ooh, ooh pick me, .. i want to be a bad boy too

i'm confused uno. how do you manage so much rushing?

theoretically, with pops every five turns, you would have four unhappy after 20 turns. temple, 3 lux and 2mp gives you 6 happies. wouldn't that add up to just two happy faces?

with one originally content citoyen, that still adds up to three unhappy, and hence disorder. sorry darth, i just don't get it
                                I don't know what I am - Pekka

Comment

Working...
                                X