What does a CIV Trait do for you?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What does a CIV Trait do for you?

Does this look like an all inclusive list? What am I missing here?

And is this already posted somewhere? I tried a search but no luck:

Comments?

Seafaring: +1 movement ships, coast cities produce +1 gold
    Reduced chance of sinking.
    Water based improvements are cheaper.
    - Harbors
    - Offshore platforms
    - Coastal Fortress
    - Commercial Dock

Scientific: Libraries, Universities, and Labs are cheaper.
    One free advance at start of each era.
    C3C only: chances of getting a SGL is higher.

Religious: Temples and Cathedrals are cheaper.
    No anarchy between governments.( 1 Turn (Civ3/PTW) 2 Turns (C3C) )

Militarstic: Units promoted more often.
    Military improvements are cheaper.
    - Barracks
    - Walls
    - Harbors
    - Airports
    - Civil Defense
    - SAM Missile Batteries
    - Coastal fortresses

Industrious: Metros +1 shield in center square. Workers complete jobs faster.

Expansionist: Can build Scouts, start with one Scout.
    Goody Huts are more lucrative and cannot pop-up Barbarians.

Commercial - Lower Corruption. Metros +1 Commerce center square.

Agricultural: +1 food on base city square. Extra food on irrigated desert.
    Aqueduct, Recycling Plant, Solar Plant are cheaper.
    *"Winning is still the goal, and we cannot win if we lose (gawd, that was brilliant - you can quote me on that if you want. And con - I don't want to see that in your sig."- Beta

Aside from some quantification and a few details, good list.

Specifically:

-Cheaper buildings are half-price (I believe that's true for every cheaper building)
    -Industrious workers are twice as fast as non-Industrious in vanilla and PTW, and 1.5 times as fast in C3C.
    -Agricultural civs only get the city square bonus food in cities adjacent to rivers (rivers or any fresh water?) while under despotism. Once out of despotism, all city squares get the bonus.
    -Scientific chances to generate an SGL are 5% compared to 3% for non-Scientific (not sure if my numbers are right on that one).
    Solomwi is very wise. - Imran Siddiqui

Comment

Good comments..

Lets verify and then I will continually update the list

I decided to start this because I can never remeber exactly what the CIV traits get you. Thats what happens when you get old. Your memory is the second thing to go
      *"Winning is still the goal, and we cannot win if we lose (gawd, that was brilliant - you can quote me on that if you want. And con - I don't want to see that in your sig."- Beta

Comment

Yep, and when I remember the first, I'll let you know.

Good thought, and a needed list.

Comment

What?

Industrious gives you a 50% faster worker rate, thus the irrigation costing 3 turns instead of 2 on C3Q. But, still allowing you 2 turn roads.

Also, Industrious trait should give you cheaper factories, coal plants, and Nuclear Power plans later on.
          Secondly, the Agricultural trait should include granaries with their cheaper buildings, that would really make me want to pick the Maya or some other nation with that trait!
          Finally, the Commerical trait should give you cheaper Marketplaces, Banks, and Stock Markets.

-Ron
          "It is forbidden to kill; therefore all murderers are punished unless they kill in large numbers and to the sound of trumpets. " Voltaires

Comment

Originally posted by barbeerhj
            What?

Industrious gives you a 50% faster worker rate, thus the irrigation costing 3 turns instead of 2 on C3Q. But, still allowing you 2 turn roads.
            Yes.

Also, Industrious trait should give you cheaper factories, coal plants, and Nuclear Power plans later on.
            Secondly, the Agricultural trait should include granaries with their cheaper buildings, that would really make me want to pick the Maya or some other nation with that trait!
            Finally, the Commerical trait should give you cheaper Marketplaces, Banks, and Stock Markets.

-Ron
            All of these additions would make the traits in question far too powerful. Ag and Ind are generally regarded as top traits already, and half price marketplaces would really be to good to add to any trait, given that markets are arguably the best imp. in the game.
            "I used to be a Scotialist, and spent a brief period as a Royalist, but now I'm PC"
            -me, discussing my banking history.

Comment

Yes, 50% faster in C3C is what I said.

As far as what they should give, punkbass nailed it. All the cheaper buildings you mentioned would be overpowered (ESPECIALLY half price granaries, and to a slightly lesser extent half price factories). I could see the half price commercial improvements, but we already have a wonder that makes them maintenance free, and Commercial is already pretty powerful.

If you're letting the lack of half price granaries keep you from playing an Ag civ, you are, to say the least, missing out. One free food already makes it the most powerful trait in all but the worst (relatively speaking) circumstances.

Comment

I thought Agricultural did have 1/2 price granaries...

Comment

No, that would be insane. They already get the 1/2 cost aqueducts, the bonus food in the city tile, and the irrigated deserts = 2f, 1s. That's awfully good.

-Arrian
                  grog want tank...Grog Want Tank... GROG WANT TANK!

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

Re: What does a CIV Trait do for you?

Originally posted by conmcb25
                    Does this look like an all inclusive list? What am I missing here?

And is this already posted somewhere? I tried a search but no luck:

Comments?

Seafaring: +1 movement ships, coast cities produce +1 gold
                    Reduced chance of sinking.
                    Water based improvements are cheaper.
                    - Harbors
                    - Offshore platforms
                    - Coastal Fortress
                    - Commercial Dock
                    Half price.
                    +2 gold in coastal cities, +3 gold in costal metros.

Scientific: Libraries, Universities, and Labs are cheaper.
                    One free advance at start of each era.
                    C3C only: chances of getting a SGL is higher.
                    Half price.

Religious: Temples and Cathedrals are cheaper.
                    No anarchy between governments.( 1 Turn (Civ3/PTW) 2 Turns (C3C) )
                    Half price
                    Compares to for humans 4 - 8 turns Civ3/PTW / 5 - 9 turns C3C (weighted by number of cities in the empire for C3C only)
                    At high difficulty levels, by default the AI has shorter max anarchy levels. (3 turns for Emperor)

Militarstic: Units promoted more often.
                    Military improvements are cheaper.
                    - Barracks
                    - Walls
                    - Harbors
                    - Airports
                    - Civil Defense
                    - SAM Missile Batteries
                    - Coastal fortresses
                    1/2 price

Industrious: Metros +1 shield in center square. Workers complete jobs faster.
                    +1 shield in cities, +2 in Metros.
                    100% faster workers Civ III Classic / PTW, 50% faster workers C3C

Expansionist: Can build Scouts, start with one Scout.
                    Goody Huts are more lucrative and cannot pop-up Barbarians.
                    Incas can't build normal scouts but can build Chiquese Scout instead. Never the less, they start with a normal scout.

Commercial - Lower Corruption. Metros +1 Commerce center square.
                    +2 Commere in cities, +3 Commerce in Metros.
                    Increased OCN.

Agricultural: +1 food on base city square. Extra food on irrigated desert.
                    Aqueduct, Recycling Plant, Solar Plant are cheaper.
                    Half priced.
                    If the city has a natural aquaduct, you can still keep the extra food in despotism / anarchy. Otherwise it would be lost.

Note that a Military Seafaring civ does NOT get to build Harbors for 3/4ths off. They pay 1/2 off.
                    1st C3DG Term 7 Science Advisor 1st C3DG Term 8 Domestic Minister
                    Templar Science Minister
                    AI: I sure wish Jon would hurry up and complete his turn, he's been at it for over 1,200,000 milliseconds now.

Comment

Great stuff!

When I get a chance in the next couple of days, Ill edit the first post in red, and then let you guys take a look.

Then if we think its done we can add it to the links if you guys think thats appropriate,

Comment

WRT some of the middle posts, the topic is what effects a civ trait GIVES, not what they should do, right?

Comment

Originally posted by Petrus2
                          WRT some of the middle posts, the topic is what effects a civ trait GIVES, not what they should do, right?
                          Correct, Im just trying to collect what effect a CIV Trait has on game mechanics.

I think what you should DO vice what you GET, should go in another thread or maybe even a series of threads

Comment

Right, Petrus.

Comment

Since I doubt they're going to modify the traits in C3, it should probably even go in a different forum, the cIV forum.

Comment

Working...
                              X