Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Xorbon
    For a UU, how about the Arctic Rangers?
    How about the Avro Arrow. As soon as you finish with the construction, it gets dismantled, adding resources to the next build project.

Comment

Originally posted by Xorbon
      However, the u.s. will never give Mexico a ROP. If they did, the next thing you know Mexican workers and settlers would be all over the country.
      So what would be different?

Comment

I think they should just add the Canadian citylist to the US

Comment

Put them far enough down the list to make them completely unproductive, and it'll just add to the realism, Kucinich.
          Solomwi is very wise. - Imran Siddiqui

Comment

For serious though, maybe they should get a +1 food for arctic terrain, making them a viable and awesome power on cold maps!
            First Master, Banan-Abbot of the Nana-stary, and Arch-Nan of the Order of the Sacred Banana.
            Marathon, the reason my friends and I have been playing the same hotseat game since 2006...

Comment

Originally posted by Metaliturtle
              For serious though, maybe they should get a +1 food for arctic terrain, making them a viable and awesome power on cold maps!
              Terrain bonuses may be a great idea for some other civs.
              "And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you—ask what you can do for your country. My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man." -- JFK Inaugural, 1961
              "Extremism in the defense of liberty is not a vice." -- Barry Goldwater, 1964 GOP Nomination acceptance speech (not George W. Bush 40 years later...)
              2004 Presidential Candidate
              2008 Presidential Candidate (for what its worth)

Comment

Good call Vince!
                First Master, Banan-Abbot of the Nana-stary, and Arch-Nan of the Order of the Sacred Banana.
                Marathon, the reason my friends and I have been playing the same hotseat game since 2006...

Comment

Re: Re: Adding Canada as a Civilization

Originally posted by Willem

You'll have to look at our early history for military leaders, we don't exactly have a tradition that creates them. A couple would be Brock and Montcalm, the ones who duked it out on the Plains of Abraham. I can't think of their first names though. Samuel de Champlain comes to mind as well, though I'm not really sure if he was a military leader or not.
                  True, those are two good choices, but you're a bit off on your history.

The battle on the Plains of Abraham (near Quebec city) was fought between the French led by Louis de Montcalm and the British led by James Wolfe.

Isaac Brock was a prominent figure from the War of 1812, where the British repelled the Americans after they had invaded Southern Ontario. Another prominent figure from this war was Tecumseh, the aboriginal leader who served as an ally to the British.

You could also add other famous military figures such as the famous WWI ace Billy Bishop, who gunned down numerous enemies over the skies of Europe, or Robert Brown, who gunned down the Red Baron of Germany, Manfred von Richtofen (pleasee excuse the spelling!), although there is still some controversy over that issue.

Check the history books and you'll find many more names that could fit the bill here, and although Canada's military history may not be as lengthy or bloody as others, it is still a very interesting subject!

Comment

I'd suggest Louis de Buade, count of Frontenac and Palluau (Frontenac for short). He was governor of New France in 1672-1682 and 1689-1698. It was through his work that New France finally had peace with the Iroquois, though he died shortly before the Great Peace of Montreal. He had also fought the British in Acadia and New England.

Another one would be Pierre Le Moyne d'Iberville (d'Iberville for short) who booted the English out of Hudson's Bay in 1690. He later sailed much in the Carribean and the Gulf of Mexico, capturing Nevis from the British in 1706.

What about Charles-Michel d'Irumberry de Salaberry (Salaberry for short)? In 1812 he beat off 4000 invading Americans with 1500 French Canadian militia men.

Comment

Originally posted by gunkulator
                      Some Canadian Scientists:

Alexander Graham Bell - well, sort of. He wasn't Canadian but he spent over 30 years in Canada off and on and made some of his breakthrough discovers while in Canada.
                      doesn't really matter.

albert einstein was german, wrote the major part of his work in switzerland and only moved in his older years to the US.
                      that didn't stop firaxis from putting him in as american SGL... so go ahead, take A G Bell
                      - Artificial Intelligence usually beats real stupidity
                      - Atheism is a nonprophet organization.

Comment

Edison would be a better American SGL.
                        "And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you—ask what you can do for your country. My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man." -- JFK Inaugural, 1961
                        "Extremism in the defense of liberty is not a vice." -- Barry Goldwater, 1964 GOP Nomination acceptance speech (not George W. Bush 40 years later...)
                        2004 Presidential Candidate
                        2008 Presidential Candidate (for what its worth)

Comment

[This is as politically incorrect as I get...]
                          [Very funny thread... NM, are you paying attention? ]

We need a new civ trait: Entertainment.

Windsor and Montreal... need I say more? The government does whatever the f*ck'all it wants, and the men in the populace just go along with it.
                          The greatest delight for man is to inflict defeat on his enemies, to drive them before him, to see those dear to them with their faces bathed in tears, to bestride their horses, to crush in his arms their daughters and wives.

Duas uncias in puncta mortalis est.

Comment

How about Mr. Litre as a scientific leader ?

Comment

Would not the UU be any that could burn down the White House? (as in 1812 - although, some may like it now??)

Comment

Originally posted by vmxa1
                                Don't you at least have to be an indepent nation before one can call you a civilization?

Last time I was in canada it had the Queen on its money. Yes that lower case was on purpose.

They don't even have an army, but then neither does the AI. Mexcio could take them down, if we gave them an RoP.
                                Canada became fully independent in 1984. Yes, the Queen is on the money, that's because she is head of state. She is on the money of a lot of other countries too (Australia, New Zealand &c).

Canada has an army, but its relatively small. It does seem to feel the need to go round invading other countries, unlike some I could mention. Canada vs Mexico? That would be ineresting . . . maybe they could use Kansas as the battleground
                                Diderot was right!
                                Our weapons are backed with UNCLEAR WORDS!
                                Please don't go, the drones need you.

Comment

Working...
                                X