Adding Canada as a Civilization

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

And a damn fine purpose, I might add.
    Maybe Canada, as a civ, could have an increase in cultural output. The EGLs could lower the costs of, say, colisseums, assuming its a sell out crowd.
    "We may be in a hallucination here, but that's no excuse for being delusional!." K.S. Robinson, 'The Years Of Rice And Salt.'

Comment

If Canada was a Civ wouldn't it have culture flipped by now?
      "And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you—ask what you can do for your country. My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man." -- JFK Inaugural, 1961
      "Extremism in the defense of liberty is not a vice." -- Barry Goldwater, 1964 GOP Nomination acceptance speech (not George W. Bush 40 years later...)
      2004 Presidential Candidate
      2008 Presidential Candidate (for what its worth)

Comment

I confessed I laughed when I saw this thread. But seriously, I'd say the most deserving MGL from Canada would be Sir Julian Byng, the only General on the allied side to emerge with (any) credit from the Daranelles fiasco and also successful in other theatres in WW1. He would be first. Another could be Byng's ADC, Gen. Willis-O'Connor. Also, not strictly Canadian but with a strong connection, how about Gen. Wolfe?

www.generals.dk has a section on Canadian generals of WWII.
        Diderot was right!
        Our weapons are backed with UNCLEAR WORDS!
        Please don't go, the drones need you.

Comment

Originally posted by Vince278
          If Canada was a Civ wouldn't it have culture flipped by now?
          To who, Mexico?
          "I used to be a Scotialist, and spent a brief period as a Royalist, but now I'm PC"
          -me, discussing my banking history.

Comment

Originally posted by punkbass2000
            To who, Mexico?

As for an MGL candidate, I remember hearing that the US sent troops into Canada during the War of 1812 which were later routed. Was there a single Canadian general who led their defense or was Canada generally considered to be part of Britain at the time?
            "And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you—ask what you can do for your country. My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man." -- JFK Inaugural, 1961
            "Extremism in the defense of liberty is not a vice." -- Barry Goldwater, 1964 GOP Nomination acceptance speech (not George W. Bush 40 years later...)
            2004 Presidential Candidate
            2008 Presidential Candidate (for what its worth)

Comment

Sir Isaac Brock and others...

Before he died on the battlefied of Queenston Heights, Sir Isaac Brock was instrumental in his "active" defense of Canada. He is generally known as one of Canada's first great military leaders, though much lesser known than say, America's Winfield Scott. Other Great Military Leaders might be the commanding officer of the 3rd Division of the Canadian Army responsible for Juno Beach, Major-General Rodney Frederick Leopold Keller. One other Military Leader worth noting, but for different reasons, would be Lieutenant-General Romeo Dallaire, but you'll have to look him up.

- Rep.
              "Intelligence in chains loses in lucidity what it gains in intensity." -Albert Camus

Comment

What would be Canada's UU?
                "We may be in a hallucination here, but that's no excuse for being delusional!." K.S. Robinson, 'The Years Of Rice And Salt.'

Comment

Mounties

Comment

I was trying to figure out what their a/d/m/would be. I figure m=treat all terrain as roads, but how can you figure incredibly polite as a & d?

Comment

Royal Canadian Mounted Police (Available with Nationalism)
                      • Shield Cost: 80
                      • A/D/M: 4/6/3 (Maybe just Movement: 2?)
                      • Resources: Horses
                      • Special: Counts as Military Police, even in Republic and Democracy. (Good idea?)

The RCMP are police units, and as such, they might count as Military Police units even in the Republican and Democratic governments... I like the idea of the RCMP being mounted, so maybe the same movement as Cavalry? I was thinking that they could replace Riflemen, but I dunno...

- Rep.
                      "Intelligence in chains loses in lucidity what it gains in intensity." -Albert Camus

Comment

Any city with a collaseum could produce a "GRETZKY" unit.
                        Attack strength 3 Defense 1 Movement 2
                        Sort of like a horseman only better offense

Comment

For a UU, how about the Arctic Rangers? The Rangers are lightly-armed reserve units comprised mostly of Inuit people. They operate in the north of Canada (hence "Arctic" Rangers) on patrol and search-and-rescue missions, and the like. They are also used to train other soldiers (or sometimes civilians) in cold-weather survival.

Arctic Rangers could replace Guerillas and could have treats-all-as-roads. They could also be given improved att or def.

As for a great leader, how about Lord Stanley, the one who originally donated the Stanley Cup to the hockey world?
                          "Every time I have to make a tough decision, I ask myself, 'What would Tom Cruise do?' Then I jump up and down on the couch." - Neil Strauss

Comment

Originally posted by RMS
                            Maybe instead of MGLs Canada could have Entertainment GLs. They could have a pacifying effect on other civs. Neil Young, John Candy, Joni Mitchell . . .
                            Celine Dion is a flaw in your theory.

Comment

Originally posted by Kuciwalker

Celine Dion is a flaw in your theory.
                              but she lives in my city now. Las Vegas. They exported their problem

Comment

Don't you at least have to be an indepent nation before one can call you a civilization?

Last time I was in canada it had the Queen on its money. Yes that lower case was on purpose.

They don't even have an army, but then neither does the AI. Mexcio could take them down, if we gave them an RoP.

Comment

Working...
                                X