No announcement yet.

Something that bugs me ever since Civ3 vanilla

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

In the editor, isn’t there a (I’m a little fuzzy here) “retain culture on capture” option or some such. What does this do?
    "Guess what? I got a fever! And the only prescription is ... more cow bell!"

Comment

Originally posted by Last Conformist

Good question.

Tangentially, I've always wondered why Research Labs produce culture. I'd say that modern science has very little to do with national/cultural cohesion and pride.
      what about JPL?

Comment

Originally posted by TheArsenal
        In the editor, isn’t there a (I’m a little fuzzy here) “retain culture on capture” option or some such. What does this do?
        It means that when you capture a city, all of the culture the previous owner had accrued becomes yours. Cultural improvements are still destroyed though IIRC. Basically, it means when you take a city, you keep the expanded borders (they used this in the Napoleon conquest, for example).

Comment

Nah, that's too much........
          It makes the cultural part of the game unbalanced...
          Formerly known as "CyberShy"
          Carpe Diem tamen Memento Mori

Comment

what about JPL?

If the JPL is an important bit of America's culture, or even considered a cultural institution, I've missed that.
            Why can't you be a non-conformist just like everybody else?

It's no good (from an evolutionary point of view) to have the physique of Tarzan if you have the sex drive of a philosopher. -- Michael Ruse
            The Nedaverse I can accept, but not the Berzaverse. There can only be so many alternate realities. -- Elok

Comment

JPL? What's that?

Comment

Jet Propulsion Labs - one of NASA's top scientific labs.
                Haven't been here for ages....

Comment

Originally posted by Last Conformist
                  what about JPL?

If the JPL is an important bit of America's culture, or even considered a cultural institution, I've missed that.
                  Its a point of pride isn't it?

Comment

Originally posted by CyberShy
                    Why not keep the culture?
                    If Russia invades Egypt the pyramids didn't suddenly lost all their cultural value.

Just name it 'foreign culture', and as long as the people are in resistance, the culture is against you. But as soon as you are the obeyed ruler of a city, it adds to your own culture.
                    Er, that IS what happens. The total culture another civ built up in that city IS used to figure out the chances of a flip. When the old civ gets that city back they get the culture back they had to begin with.

I can see why culture buildings get 'sploded though - wouldn't you want to stop your enemy from gaining access to your knowledge and knowledge facilities by destroying what they could take (Libraries, Universities, Research Labs), and in a conflict between cultures, religious buildings would be natural hotbeds of anti-occupation activity. If you get rid of the existing ones and build them anew, you are attempting to convert the citizens. Keeping the old Temples etc would be like having a foreing newspaper in town - it will not make anyone happy towards the local power.
                    Consul.

Back to the ROOTS of addiction. My first missed poll!

Comment

Er, that IS what happens. The total culture another civ built up in that city IS used to figure out the chances of a flip. When the old civ gets that city back they get the culture back they had to begin with.
                      I know that it's partly there already. But it never adds up to your own culture as soon as you really took the heart of the citizen. neither does it show up in your screen, like "60% dutch 20% german 17% french 3%russian"
                      Formerly known as "CyberShy"
                      Carpe Diem tamen Memento Mori

Comment

True, I guess a numerical indication would be nice, but why would the old civ's culture become yours? You're working from scratch. You had nothing to do with that old culture.
                        Consul.

Back to the ROOTS of addiction. My first missed poll!

Comment

Working...
                        X