35 hours for 1 game

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 35 hours for 1 game

I played my first Large map Regent level this week. I started it early Saturday morning and finish it last night (not continuously). The victory game screen indicated I invested over 35 hours of my time to complete it. I even decided to speed up the game by avoiding MPP and wars and win the game via Space Race. I just astounded how much time I sunk into playing just one game. Needless to say I lost track of the time while playing, but that is to be expected!!! What is the average time to complete the Small, Standard and Large maps?

Remember the clock is ticking even if you are in the shower. I have been known to leave the game up while sleep, go to movies and not take it down for days.

So I see times of 80 hours with no trouble. I am sure my last Sid game ran over 100 hours.

Comment

For me, large-map games typically report about 60 hours. Huge-map (Rhye's of Civilization mod): 120.
      I try to minimize the false-reporting time, so it should be accurate to within 10%. Also, I micromanage and, on occasion, ponder.

Comment

35 hours for 1 game

Just wait until you go to higher difficulty and start to spend time on some serious-ish micro-management....

Games can easily take a 100 hours..easily...depending on map size of-course.
        That's why, each time I finished a game I usually didn't play for a least a month.

Doesn't matter as long as you have fun.
        Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing?
        Then why call him God? - Epicurus

Comment

The answer is so highly variable.
          "And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you—ask what you can do for your country. My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man." -- JFK Inaugural, 1961
          "Extremism in the defense of liberty is not a vice." -- Barry Goldwater, 1964 GOP Nomination acceptance speech (not George W. Bush 40 years later...)
          2004 Presidential Candidate
          2008 Presidential Candidate (for what its worth)

Comment

I haven't played that many full games since PTW came out. The one's I have played were tiny or small maps. So I can't say for sure.

I assume if you reload a game, the game also reloads the clock.

And what about if you minimize civ in a window? Does that stop the clock?
            Last edited by Dis; June 5, 2004, 03:10.

Comment

Originally posted by alva
              35 hours for 1 game

Just wait until you go to higher difficulty and start to spend time on some serious-ish micro-management....

Games can easily take a 100 hours..easily...depending on map size of-course.
              That's why, each time I finished a game I usually didn't play for a least a month.

Doesn't matter as long as you have fun.
              well said old chap - well said

games can be massive in the hours / days / weeks that can be invested so easily

the more you play the more people may become concerned with your attitudes

do not be too surprised that soon you will be advising friends that: "they need to raise Archers to deal with the issue", or "have you built a road to that resource"

remember it is all good, and it is thee issue, not yours
              Attached Files
              Gurka 17, People of the Valley
              I am of the Horde.

Comment

I find 24h about normal on a huge map on Monarch, but I appear to be a quick player.
                Why can't you be a non-conformist just like everybody else?

It's no good (from an evolutionary point of view) to have the physique of Tarzan if you have the sex drive of a philosopher. -- Michael Ruse
                The Nedaverse I can accept, but not the Berzaverse. There can only be so many alternate realities. -- Elok

Comment

wow, you guys are quick

if i ever play a single player game to its end, it has usually taken me atleast 150 hours, and thats not much yet.

i remember some GotM games (back when i used to play them) that took me about 300 hours to play

It appears i think too much and move too little units

Comment

I dont have the patience or attention span to play a 300 hr game. I started a small map this weekend and should finish it some time (wife willing) tonight. I think I like the small map format compared to the standard and large map. Maybe one three day weekend when my wife is out of town I try a huge map.

Comment

psumbody,

Most of mine are 7..10 days of 2..4 hours a day. I can't play continuously more than that. I think most surveys show game times usually between
                      50 and 100 hrs. The higher you get in difficulty level the longer it may take as one wrong move will kill you.

PF

Comment

I allways play on a small map, and get bored if it takes me more than 8 hours

Comment

I have had games on huge maps that went on for 6-7 weeks, playing, on average, 10 hrs a week. So a 35 hr game sounds like a pleasant little diversion.
                          Tried my 1st Sid game, on a small map. That was over in 45 minutes--possibly the shortest civ game I've played, and the most embarrassing defeat I've ever had.
                          "We may be in a hallucination here, but that's no excuse for being delusional!." K.S. Robinson, 'The Years Of Rice And Salt.'

Comment

I tend to not like loooong games because I don't have much time to play... sometimes it is hard to remember all those little details about a game that is already more than 40 hours long if you don't play it regularly.
                            I watched you fall. I think I pushed.

Comment

Originally posted by mala
                              I allways play on a small map, and get bored if it takes me more than 8 hours
                              Funny, I am the exact opposite! I like the large and huge maps and games that take a week or more. I'm the same with books. If it doesn't have at least 250 pages I probably won't read it.

Comment

Working...
                              X