No announcement yet.

Do you ever use city governors?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1. The Pyramids don't become obsolete, and granaries don't help the amount of food harvested each turn, so it's more likely that in striving to keep people happy, your governor is assigning entertainers to the point that food is dropping below 2x the city size.

2. That's just one more reason the luxury slider is such a powerful tool in the early game. Use it as much as is feasible to keep all your citizens working tiles. A more detailed breakdown is available in the Must Read Threads over on the strat forum, but the gist of it is that if bumping the slider 10% keeps you from having to assign entertainers in a city, the extra gold that would-be entertainer brings in by working a tile will pay for that 10% in that city. On top of that, you get the shields and, most importantly, food from that citizen.
    Solomwi is very wise. - Imran Siddiqui

Comment

Originally posted by Solomwi
      1. The Pyramids don't become obsolete, and granaries don't help the amount of food harvested each turn, so it's more likely that in striving to keep people happy, your governor is assigning entertainers to the point that food is dropping below 2x the city size.

2. That's just one more reason the luxury slider is such a powerful tool in the early game. Use it as much as is feasible to keep all your citizens working tiles. A more detailed breakdown is available in the Must Read Threads over on the strat forum, but the gist of it is that if bumping the slider 10% keeps you from having to assign entertainers in a city, the extra gold that would-be entertainer brings in by working a tile will pay for that 10% in that city. On top of that, you get the shields and, most importantly, food from that citizen.

Thanks

I am enjoying this game and well, my pride that I surely thought was lost has been found at the ripe old age of 45 so I am having to learn this game!!

Ok..Ill keep tweaking and thanks for the much needed info!

Peace

Grandpa Troll
      Hi, I'm RAH and I'm a Benaholic.-rah

Comment

Originally posted by Grandpa Troll
        I am playing a game and posting under the CIVIII Stories. I have to say i am thus far impressed with the AI in The Conquests at least. I have set my governors for managing moods as unhappiness is (or was running rampant)

But strangely, now many of my cities are starving (have starvation attacks)

Size 4 or more..
        This typically happens in republic and democracies at war, the governor will starve your cities if needed but in the long run the governor will be unable to handle the WW and your cities will start to revolt.

Maybe it was having the granaries wonder (Pyramids) become obsolete????
        Would be an interesting theory IF the pyramids became obsolete (although others could be a culprit, such as the Oracle and Hanging Gardens)

Odd, it seems to have happened in most of my cities, even them outside of the warzone (having ai pillageing my improvements!! )
        This is an effect of War Weariness, the governor is starving cities because it needs the entertainers to prevent riots.

Peace
        Prevents WW, I suggest you sign one of these treaties with your enemies, ASAP. (or get more happiness improvements, luxuries and MP's, ect.)

As Solomwi has noted the luxury slider can help with this situation during peacetime but WW will only get worse, so peace is the only permanent solution to the problem.
        * A true libertarian is an anarchist in denial.
        * If brute force isn't working you are not using enough.
        * The difference between Genius and stupidity is that Genius has a limit.
        * There are Lies, Damned Lies, and The Republican Party.

Comment

Well, I just completed my first ever CIVIII Conquests game and lost miserably!

But will take the lessons learned and try to do better next time!

Thanks for all the help and will see how the next go 'round plays out!!

Peace (Yeah I should have tried this!)

Grandpa Troll

Comment

Well, I just completed my first ever CIVIII Conquests game and lost miserably!

But will take the lessons learned and try to do better next time!

Thanks for all the help and will see how the next go 'round plays out!!

Peace (Yeah I should have tried this!)

Grandpa Troll
            GPT- you really should change your sign off to 'just trolling along'

Comment

Originally posted by Mad Bomber

GPT- you really should change your sign off to 'just trolling along'

Is that REALLY you in your avatar?

That would be trolling along

Peace
              GT

Comment

Is that REALLY you in your avatar?

That would be trolling along

Peace
                GT

Comment

I prefer to control my empire manually. Often the governor doesn't choose the correct tile and they just don't choose the correct production most of the time. I also tell them to never build wonders or small wonders, because i'd rather choose to do this myself rather than it starting when I don't want it to (and sometimes I don't notice).
                  I always hear about the innocent bystanders. Where are all of the guilty ones? -Vince278

Comment

Only to stop cities from building wonders when I don't want them to.
                    "The human race would have perished long ago if its preservation had depended only on the reasoning of its members." - Rousseau
                    "Vorwärts immer, rückwärts nimmer!" - Erich Honecker
                    "If one has good arms, one will always have good friends." - Machiavelli

Comment

Working...
                    X