Do you ever use city governors?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do you ever use city governors?

I was interested to note in a post about a week ago someone saying that he almost always uses the city governors to look after his cities. I can't remember which aspect it was: people happiness, wealth, or producing offensive or defensive units.

I have never used them. I've always decided what my people should be doing on the land, and what each of my cities should be producing or building.

Then I wondered if many of you ever use the governors? If so, in what circumstances and in what ways do you find it beneficial.
    Jack

No. They just don't understand what I need them to build.

The only time I use them is short timer MP games, but most people here at Apolyton don't play MP.

Comment

When my empire get too friggin' large, I use them to control happiness.

Comment

Happiness here as well. It's very useful during long wars. Just keep an eye if your cities start to starve

Comment

Good stuff. Thanks for the help.
          Jack

Comment

I only use governors during government changes when not a religious civ. After the switch I turn them off and cycle through each of the cities to allocate the cits to my choosing.

Comment

I keep meaning to use them, but never get around to it

One of these days I will handicap myself by playing with the city governors always on.

Well I could play Sid level, but I'm not masochist.

Comment

I use the Governors for moderate to large empires but do a fair bit of tweaking to increase their efficiency. I find that once you go through the cities and allocate tiles that the governors don’t completely reshuffle them when “manage…in all cities” is selected. You then go through and undo the things you don’t like. The advantage of this is that most cities don’t fall into disorder if trade conditions change during the AI turns because the Govs will step in to prevent it. Essentially you’re saying that you’ll accept some inefficiency turn by turn to prevent massive unexpected disruptions and to avoid having to micro-manage large areas of the game every turn...even if you are a masochist.
                The law, in its majestic equality, forbids the rich as well as the poor to sleep under bridges, to beg in the streets, and to steal bread.

Anatole France

Comment

Never used them. I prefer to control my cities manually.
                  Sometimes it's a pain to cycle trough all of them, but it works fine and good.

Of course once in a while you have to check if there are cities low on food etc. But that can easily be done in the F1 screen.
                  Formerly known as "CyberShy"
                  Carpe Diem tamen Memento Mori

Comment

I use them to control happiness during more or less the entire game. I just cant be bothered to mess around for hours with citizen placements for a tiny increase in efficiency.
                    "Beware of he who would deny you access to information, for in his heart he dreams himself your master" - Commissioner Pravin Lal.

Comment

Ok..so it looks as though Governors will best suit me as I continue my learning curve in CIVIII Conquests to control Happiness!

I know I often automate my workers and then next thing they are cruising around the map doing nothing..costing me money paying wages,vactaion time,medical, w/c claims!! ..

Oh..Im sorry..I was just

As a Governor I wouold hope he could "Impress" upon my people to stay Happy so as I dun need to let the governor "adjust" any unhappiness levels!!

Peace

Grandpa "Governor-usage-galore"Troll
                      Attached Files
                      Hi, I'm RAH and I'm a Benaholic.-rah

Comment

Happiness governor only late in the game. He'll put citizens back to work on tiles cleaned up by my automated workers.

IIRC, governors are the only way to prevent disorder from end-of-turn events like ww or loss of a resource. They also will prevent city growth from causing disorder, however you should be able to see that one coming.

Comment

I only use the Gov in Single Player Games - especially when the Empire is large and scattered...

I do not trust the Gov in PBEM games...
                          Afterall he is a politican, and they are easily bribed
                          Gurka 17, People of the Valley
                          I am of the Horde.

Comment

I tend to use the happiness governor in new conquests and othe unimportant cities.
                            Why can't you be a non-conformist just like everybody else?

It's no good (from an evolutionary point of view) to have the physique of Tarzan if you have the sex drive of a philosopher. -- Michael Ruse
                            The Nedaverse I can accept, but not the Berzaverse. There can only be so many alternate realities. -- Elok

Comment

I use the governor to "emphasize production" (that only) because we have found by micro-managing that the AI governor is more likely to assign the free pop-increase tile to a high-shield tile this way (credit goes to E_T for discovering this).

This is important because when you're micro-managing to that level, you will quickly notice that when you have a pop increase, the AI will automatically assign an EXTRA tile for the turn of increase and give you the shields on the tile (even though you really shouldn't be getting that production until the NEXT turn in my opinion). The bonus is only shields, however, not for trade or food.

As I said, setting the AI Governor to "emphasize production" in all of your cities slightly increases the probability that the AI will make this free tile be a high shield tile... since only shields matter for the free tile, you want it to pick that juicy mined mountain tile rather than another grassland tile.
                              Long-time poster on Apolyton and WePlayCiv
                              Consul of Apolyton from the 1st Civ3 Inter-Site Democracy Game (ISDG)
                              7th President of Apolyton in the 1st Civ3 Democracy Game

Comment

Working...
                              X