The undefeatable infantry unit...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

First off, the OT - topic.

I just did a quick calculation on the population and land area. It seems that I have 224.5 people per square mile. That's quite a number considering what the average is for the USA.
    That works out to be ~87.7 people per sq km - had to convert - sorry, everyone uses km these days!

That means you had a comparable pop density to Dominica or Turkey, which are 107th and 108th on the world ranking (1999 figures). Source is here. The US is 172nd out of 239 states and island territories on this list, so not much of a good comparison really.

Secondly, the On Topic bit.

Using the Civ Calculator, an Elite Longbowman in those circumstances had a 7.5% chance of winning. Of course the exact odds depend on the exact strength of your Infantry that each Longbowman faced, but assuming (as an upper limit on their chances) your Infantry was reduced to 1 hp first time, then promoted, then promoted again at 1hp left, then defended the rest of the 25 LBs at 1hp left, the chances of your victory were = about 8.3 x 10^-6 %.

If your Infantry defended with no hp loss at all the whole time to Regular Longbowmen (an upper limit on YOUR chances), the chances were = 94.5%. Thus there was a very good chance of you achieving this outcome, especially since the most probable outcome each time was for your Infantry to win with no hp loss.

No apologies for not doing the stats fully - this will do, and if you ARE offended by the crudeness of these estimates, why are you wanting to do the stats exactly anyway?
    Consul.

Back to the ROOTS of addiction. My first missed poll!

Comment

Never heared of ICS before... maybe I'le give it a whack in my next game. I usually play on regent, and I find that I am always behind for the ancient age and the first 2 thirds of the medival age, and then I kick ass....

As for the 25 bowmen.... 25,000 bowmen against 1000 machine gunners on a hilltop sounds like a realistic outcome.
      sig

Comment

Hey .... whats everyone's vote on ICS? Does it work well or is it troublesome to get to all the resources you want? Just figured I see what the majority thinks. I've never heard of it before this thread. Sounds interesting... maybe worth the try?
        Last edited by theDragon; May 23, 2004, 18:23.

Comment

ICS works well, but I find it a bit too much of an exploit to really use it.
          Why can't you be a non-conformist just like everybody else?

It's no good (from an evolutionary point of view) to have the physique of Tarzan if you have the sex drive of a philosopher. -- Michael Ruse
          The Nedaverse I can accept, but not the Berzaverse. There can only be so many alternate realities. -- Elok

Comment

I have a short story:
            I sent 18 knights to attack 3 spearman located on a hill, population 8, world map, england, no walls. I killed 1 spearman brought the other two down to 2 out of 5 and lost all 18

What the hell was going on
            That's right, I'm a bloody Chink!!!
            Bow to me and my superior CRUISE MISSILES!!!!!
            A shout to all the asians and all the white people, etc., etc.
            Ego sum Deum. Currunt von mich et mir MISSILES (i dunno the latin)

Comment

The RNG gods were against you
              So if you meet me have some courtesy, have some sympathy and some taste
              Use all your well-learned politesse, or I'll lay your soul to waste

Re-Organisation of remaining C3C PBEMS

Comment

Sounds like a standard sorta result to me! Unless of course it was the other way round
                "Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender B. Rodriguez

Comment

Originally posted by kevinchink
                  I have a short story:
                  I sent 18 knights to attack 3 spearman located on a hill, population 8, world map, england, no walls. I killed 1 spearman brought the other two down to 2 out of 5 and lost all 18

What the hell was going on
                  As is well known, Spearmen are excellent tankbusters. Since Knights are heavily armoured, the same tactics work against them.
                  Why can't you be a non-conformist just like everybody else?

It's no good (from an evolutionary point of view) to have the physique of Tarzan if you have the sex drive of a philosopher. -- Michael Ruse
                  The Nedaverse I can accept, but not the Berzaverse. There can only be so many alternate realities. -- Elok

Comment

I can understand a wall of spears being effective against a cavalry charge (try it in total war, you'll maul them from the rear but attacking from the front hurts). However I can't see them doing any more to a tank (or even a humvee!) than putting a nasty scratch in the paintwork.

Comment

Originally posted by spy14
                      I can understand a wall of spears being effective against a cavalry charge (try it in total war, you'll maul them from the rear but attacking from the front hurts). However I can't see them doing any more to a tank (or even a humvee!) than putting a nasty scratch in the paintwork.
                      The spearmen run up to the tank a jab their spears into the nooks and cranies.

Comment

Originally posted by spy14
                        However I can't see them doing any more to a tank (or even a humvee!) than putting a nasty scratch in the paintwork.
                        Spearmen in civ3 carry hand grenades, didn't you know?
                        So if you meet me have some courtesy, have some sympathy and some taste
                        Use all your well-learned politesse, or I'll lay your soul to waste

Re-Organisation of remaining C3C PBEMS

Comment

Really

If Roman spearmen had carried hand grenades Europe as we know it today would never have existed.

Seriously though, I pay for unit upgrades at points during the game (usually spearmen right through to Mech). No upgrade equals no grenades.

Comment

Working...
                          X