The undefeatable infantry unit...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The undefeatable infantry unit...

Hey all. I was in a large map builder style game with 5 other opponents. I needed two things from the egyptians, coal and oil.

There was one city near my borders that had both. Realizing that I had too big of a military, I sent out units from every inner city to fight a war.

Now, I happened to be on Warlord at the time. Here's what happened.

I took about 10 guerillas and 10 infantry straight to the city with oil and coal. After killing 3 spearmen I took the city. Then, I took another 5 guerillas and 5 infantry and took another nearby city.

Right about then they destroyed the road to my one source of Iron. So, quicky I killed the lone longbowman with an infantry from the second city.

Then I noticed a mass invasion of, get this, longbowman! There were stacks of them all over my SE corner. After I took back the Iron, they moved around my city to a square adjacent to the iron. I figured they wanted to make sure that I had no iron. So, I moved about 10 infantry onto the Iron.

The next turn, they attacked the city they had just gone around. There was one infantry defending the city. Of course, not having any railroads due to the loss of iron, it would be 2 turns before I could get more units in there.

I then watched and laughed as in one turn they attacked with 25 longbowman, one at a time. The first one caused my infantry unit to become veteran. On the fourth he was elite. By the 25th attack, he was wounded, but alive.

On the next turn, about 25 more attacked. This time he went all the way down to one red square left on his health bar. I was actuallly quite worried. But then the last longbowman fell, and I laughed.

It just goes to show how powerfull a defender an infantry unit can be against a middle ages army. I had no idea that one infantry could hold out that well against such a huge onslaught of longbowmen.

Well, I hope you enjoyed my little story,
    Dan O.

Oh, BTW, I had Tzun Tzu's War Acadamy, so the city had a barracks in it. Still, it's quite a feat!

I'm sure he could have defeated it if he was using a spearman.

Comment

You mean, if the Egyptians used spearmen?

Or do you mean, if I used spearmen?

Off course if I had a lone spearman the city would be toast.

What wouldn't make sense is if the egyptians used spearmen. They have an attack of one.

Or are you being sarcastic?

Please clarify,
      Thanks,
      Dan O.

Comment

Sarcastic, as in Spearmen beating Tanks.
        The greatest delight for man is to inflict defeat on his enemies, to drive them before him, to see those dear to them with their faces bathed in tears, to bestride their horses, to crush in his arms their daughters and wives.

Duas uncias in puncta mortalis est.

Comment

I guess it pays to upgrade Longbowman, that is if they had that option. Did you count 25 or did simply seem like 25? For I would hope for different results with those numbers.
          The Graveyard Keeper
          Of Creation Forum
          If I can't answer you don't worry
          I'll send you elsewhere

Comment

I counted at least 25 on the first one. On the second wave I lost count, but it seemed to be close to that.

Comment

I guess I'll have to check out the game agian sometime. The population may have had something to do with it, it was 11. Also, It may or may not have been on hills, I'll have to check.

Comment

well either way this is a good thing right?

Technology finally held out against large numbers of inferior troops.

That's what we've been asking for all along.

Although I never get those kinds of results . If anything over 4 units attack me, I'm usually going to lose the unit, no matter what it is.

Comment

LB should have won... Infantry would have been crushed either by the weight of the pile of Arrows, and/or by their shell casings!

Comment

Clear example of the advantage of having a weapon with greater range.
                    Visit First Cultural Industries
                    There are reasons why I believe mankind should live in cities and let nature reclaim all the villages with the exception of a few we keep on display as horrific reminders of rural life.-Starchild
                    Meat eating and the dominance and force projected over animals that is acompanies it is a gateway or parallel to other prejudiced beliefs such as classism, misogyny, and even racism. -General Ludd

Comment

Nice to see a believable result for once!

Try using your invincible infantryman to attack an emeny Pikeman. He'll probably lose
                      "Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender B. Rodriguez

Comment

If that had been my city, my lone infantry would have been defeated by, oh, about the first 9 or 10 longbowmen. hehe
                        That's just the kind of civ3 luck I have lately...

Spearmen beating tanks, yes.
                        Let Them Eat Cake

Comment

Nice story!

When I saw the thread title, I was rather expecting a rant now how it's impossible to take out Inf fortified in metropoleis on hills with Cav ...
                          Why can't you be a non-conformist just like everybody else?

It's no good (from an evolutionary point of view) to have the physique of Tarzan if you have the sex drive of a philosopher. -- Michael Ruse
                          The Nedaverse I can accept, but not the Berzaverse. There can only be so many alternate realities. -- Elok

Comment

Did the longbows attack across a river ?
                            veni vidi PWNED!

Comment

I found out why they had such a difficult time. The city was built on hilly terrain. Anyone have any idea how much of a defensive bonus my infantry unit had?

Here is a map:
                              Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                              X