Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How many civs do you usually play against?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The more cities the longer it takes to calculate and trade route issue. The big maps allow for more civs to last longer and have more units.

Comment

Huge map, 31 civs. I find I really like having 31 civs, though it makes diplomacy a pain in the arse, and usually means you're at war for a long time, with people half way around the globe with no way of getting at you.
      Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

The dip screens needs a serious reworking to handle 31 civs.

Comment

Originally posted by vmxa1
          The more cities the longer it takes to calculate and trade route issue. The big maps allow for more civs to last longer and have more units.
          You said it brother! The worst of it is building 100 airports in your cities when it takes 3 minutes or so for the game engine to calculate each trade route (hope you have a good book to read) and in the late game turn when at war (400 units to move can take upwards of an hour to play). Still IMO its the best way to play, it gives me the most enjoyment and allows me to flesh out my games more (and planning my wars gives me something to do at work )

P.S. To make my games even longer I play bloodlust games (Conquest only enabled)
          * A true libertarian is an anarchist in denial.
          * If brute force isn't working you are not using enough.
          * The difference between Genius and stupidity is that Genius has a limit.
          * There are Lies, Damned Lies, and The Republican Party.

Comment

I like to play with 31 civs (on a huge map), I find it more fun myself. I do wish, though, that the AI would war with each other more. I find myself playing on easier difficulties 'just for fun', and the AI is way too peaceful. I miss watching AIs war with each other as I would see in Civ2. Even with 'AI Aggression' turned up, the AI civs rarely fight and there's never really much of an opposing empire. There just gets to be a saturated, peaceful world, outside of me.

(Off topic: Much as I like Civ3, I still think Civ2 was more 'fun': the diplomacy/war played better -- aka, it happened, -- and ESPIONAGE. It's hard to turn one's back on culture, though.)

Comment

31 civs on a huge map will definately be slow.

I ususually play standard or small maps with 6-8 players.

Comment

31 flavors on a max size map (362x362).

Turn length? Of course they're long -- how do you think I'd get my chores done otherwise?
                No, I did not steal that from somebody on Something Awful.

Comment

Last edited by ZEE; December 22, 2010, 19:56.
                  Order of the Fly
                  Those that cannot curse, cannot heal.

Comment

I have made a new rule - to only play on standard with 8civs or large with 11 civs.

I used to play huge all of the time with max # civs, sometimes with the 31-civ edit. I felt this was the only way to get the best challenge from the game. While that may be true, I found that I cannot play that way. You see, I am a micromanager. I have to check with every civ in diplomacy after every turn to see if there is a deal to be made. I refuse to use the city governor or use worker automation. So, by the time late middle ages/ early industrial comes around, the game becomes quite tedious and I always lose interest. For these reasons, I have never had a game go to modern age and I have never finished a game. I am finding that a standard map and 8 civ opponents provides plenty of challenge and the game moves faster. Hopefully now I can see some of those cool modern age military units that I've seen people write about.

Comment

i have to say, my 31 civ, huge map game isn't slow (except when i'm at war, and i take a week before finishing my turn ). it's significantly faster than the 24civ demo game i tested out a while back.
                      it's just my opinion. can you dig it?

Comment

I play with 8 civs, including myself. Why? Because it is how many fit conveniently on the Diplomacy screen. I find the Diplomacy screen to be the biggest GUI challenge to playing the game instead of fighting the interface. (Stack movement comes in second. My braindead generals are always misinterpreting my orders, doing what I said instead of what I meant.) I have changed my preferred game size to large to accomodate the lower number of civs. Huge just didn't work as well as I liked in terms of civ interaction. Large with 8 civs provides interaction yet gives everybody a chance to REX signficanly. It thereby lets us all have a chance to actually have one or two resources in our territory. Usually.
                        If you aren't confused,
                        You don't understand.

Comment

Working...
                        X