Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How many civs do you usually play against?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How many civs do you usually play against?

I have been staying at 5-6 on large maps just wondering if thats average...too much or too little?
    UT Maniac UT Maniac Home to over 500 tutorials for Unreal editing!

I always play with the max amount of civs allowed on whatever map size I choose.

Comment

I also play with the max amount of civs available, I wish that number was higher though... I know I can change it in the editor but I like the HoF to much
      You saw what you wanted
      You took what you saw
      We know how you did it
      Your method equals wipe out

Comment

Default number, since it is usually std mp, 8.

Comment

max on huge (but not edited to 31)

Comment

I wonder if its easier to play with more civs than less. This is the way it was with red alert. I could always do better against more AI's because they would get smaller areas and attack each other more.

Comment

usually? 3-5, huge (or oversized) map. currently? 31, huge pangaea (it's actually oversized, but i increased the water area for some unknown reason, and it's basically just a huge map).

more civs is certainly... interesting. even for me, a consumate builder.
              it's just my opinion. can you dig it?

Comment

Which do you feel is easier to win at?

Dont forget I only play at low levels of experiennce.

Comment

I would guess that the more room to have more ciies would favor the human. The AI will not do as well with its cities as you should.
                  Fewer civs would probably favor the human as the AI make more cities and have fewer trading partners.

Comment

I have been extensively play testing with/on only a 360 by 306 very rich and land friendly ancient world flavored map. I settled quickly to 8 civs, one of which is human.

My early conclusion is fewer stronger AI's is quite challenging. However, in order to achieve this I have had to do three things.

1. Pre-build main roadways throughout the world.

2. Pre-build 4 to 6 cities for each AI, planting pre-start settlers and additionally giving each AI another 9-12 settlers at start-up. This guaranteed their quick rise to power sporting 30-40 city empires inside turn 10 to 15.

3. Make many improvements spit out various units every so many turns, so when I encounter these empires at say turn 20 and on they already have 100 to 200 unit armies.

After all this, staying ahead and winning is difficult. However, it is set on conquest only, so winning is not feasible. I just pick out various objectives and truck on. Like to control a certain continent or eliminate any one opponent, while beating off the others and/or twisting another AI into being a dummy ally. Generally being my ally is not good.
                    The Graveyard Keeper
                    Of Creation Forum
                    If I can't answer you don't worry
                    I'll send you elsewhere

Comment

actually, i'm finding that at low difficulty levels, it's the more the merrier.

the human player is the only one with the initiative to eliminate nearby rivals immediately, thus ensuring a fair bit of lebensraum. the human player also does a MUCH better job of exploring than the ai, so you can quickly dominate the global tech trading network.

the ai will launch nonsensical wars, thus expending their military on your well defended cities. since everyone is so close, you can quickly take over their empire.

i'm really enjoying this game - i've got competitors ranging from tiny (several have yet to break 3 cities, and it's just about 1800), to large (a dozen cities, maybe two). i, of course, am the biggest fish in the sea

playing with so many civs is also really good diplomacy practice... more than once i've gone to war and easily obtained a dozen allies against whoever attacked me.

(once i went to war and had about 6-8 civs PAY ME to let them join me in the war!)

it's also a blast to watch the histograph change. so many stripes, slowly disappearing...

but yeah. once you've got the hang of the game - which playing against a minimal number of opponents is great for - i'd urge you to play a game against as many ai as possible. since it keeps most of the ai civs midsized at best, you never face a truly dire invasion.

Comment

actually, i'm finding that at low difficulty levels, it's the more the merrier.

the human player is the only one with the initiative to eliminate nearby rivals immediately, thus ensuring a fair bit of lebensraum. the human player also does a MUCH better job of exploring than the ai, so you can quickly dominate the global tech trading network.

the ai will launch nonsensical wars, thus expending their military on your well defended cities. since everyone is so close, you can quickly take over their empire.

i'm really enjoying this game - i've got competitors ranging from tiny (several have yet to break 3 cities, and it's just about 1800), to large (a dozen cities, maybe two). i, of course, am the biggest fish in the sea

playing with so many civs is also really good diplomacy practice... more than once i've gone to war and easily obtained a dozen allies against whoever attacked me.

(once i went to war and had about 6-8 civs PAY ME to let them join me in the war!)

it's also a blast to watch the histograph change. so many stripes, slowly disappearing...

but yeah. once you've got the hang of the game - which playing against a minimal number of opponents is great for - i'd urge you to play a game against as many ai as possible. since it keeps most of the ai civs midsized at best, you never face a truly dire invasion.

Comment

Ive just finished playing a small pangea least water map with 31 civs, as the Celts, diff Regent. Capitol cities were as little as 8 tiles away in some cases, and most civs only managed 3 cities each before the entire map was filled.

I got Iron right next to my second city and went on the rampage with Gallic swords

IMO the AI was at a massive disadvantage in this game as it simply could not grow enough to put up a real fight, even though I was amazed at how many units a 3 city civ could throw out at you.

I will probably try it again at monarch but I think the AI will still find it tough due to the lack of space to grow.

I won the game by domination with MA against riflemen and cavalry. No matter what I did most AI's were usually mad with me throughout the game unless I gave them ROP and allied with them against another civ.

After the war though they usually hated me again.
                          A proud member of the "Apolyton Story Writers Guild".There are many great stories at the Civ 3 stories forum, do yourself a favour and visit the forum. Lose yourself in one of many epic tales and be inspired to write yourself, as I was.

Comment

Were you razing cities and breaking agreements?
                            "The greatest and noblest pleasure which men can have in this world is to discover new truths; and the next is to shake off old prejudices." - Frederick II

Comment

Originally posted by ChrisiusMaximus

I won the game by domination with MA against riflemen and cavalry. No matter what I did most AI's were usually mad with me throughout the game unless I gave them ROP and allied with them against another civ.

After the war though they usually hated me again.
                              Any boost to relationships brought on by war/alliances are only temp.

Comment

Working...
                              X