Racist Undertones in Conquests

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by G'Kar
    Metazoa is right, this smacks of the kind of racism that says white is pure and anything else is inferior so it's allright to jumble around the black and brown peoples. It's as if the blacks and browns have no definitive cultures of their own, which is exactly what Europeans thought for a long time.
    Interesting that you should lump all white people together like we're are all one big culture. Perhaps you see racism in everything because you're racist and just assume everyone else is too.

Comment

I doubt that there were an "racist" intentions (consciously or subconsciously) since all the "white" leaderheads are frightfully ugly as well (just look at "Catherine"). My only gripe with Civ3 when it comes to its ideology is that it emphasizes heavily on the "Modernization Theory" of development, which isn't entirely accurate.
      "When we begin to regulate, there is naming,
      but when there has been naming
      we should also know when to stop.
      Only by knowing when to stop can we avoid danger." - Lao-zi, the "Dao-de-jing"

Comment

Fair enough Arrian, no moral outrage here. But I do think this move was an unintended slight against non-Europeans.
        "It takes you years to learn how to play like yourself." Miles Davis

Comment

light up dude
          Co-Founder, Apolyton Civilization Site
          Co-Owner/Webmaster, Top40-Charts.com | CTO, Apogee Information Systems
          giannopoulos.info: my non-mobile non-photo news & articles blog

Comment

Originally posted by Jawa Jocky

Interesting that you should lump all white people together like we're are all one big culture. Perhaps you see racism in everything because you're racist and just assume everyone else is too.
            To be more specific, I'll say that it was the policy of European nations to treat blacks and browns as though they had little if any history or culture.
            "It takes you years to learn how to play like yourself." Miles Davis

Comment

Originally posted by MarkG
              light up dude
              how bizarre. the official response to a debate about racism is to interject pro-drug use advocacy.

it's just my opinion. can you dig it?

Comment

Yes but with the drivvle that the thread starter and his main supporter in this thread has spurned, one would presume they had already taken that course of action.

Metazoa and G'Kar get a life!!
                A proud member of the "Apolyton Story Writers Guild".There are many great stories at the Civ 3 stories forum, do yourself a favour and visit the forum. Lose yourself in one of many epic tales and be inspired to write yourself, as I was.

Comment

i havent played the mesoamerica scenario yet, although from the list of civs listed (iroquois, zulu, mongols, any other?) i think they are the most appropriate short of having to make new leaderheads.

btw, isnt the francis I leaderhead in age of discovery custom made for that scenario? if so.... then perhaps firaxis could of made a couple of extra american indian leaderheads

Comment

Originally posted by smellymummy
                    i havent played the mesoamerica scenario yet, although from the list of civs listed (iroquois, zulu, mongols, any other?) i think they are the most appropriate short of having to make new leaderheads.

btw, isnt the francis I leaderhead in age of discovery custom made for that scenario? if so.... then perhaps firaxis could of made a couple of extra american indian leaderheads
                    I m not at my Conquests computer, but I believe that leaderhead is the Austrian leaderhead, which is the bonus "32nd" civ.

Comment

I object the way the Sengoku scenario represents Japanese as circles, squiggly lines, and other symbols.
                      oh god how did this get here I am not good with livejournal

Comment

I wonder if what some are tring to say is that the world has lots of ugly things in it and we would just as soon not deal with when talking about our games. We must faces them most of th time, but how about you lets have a little down time when we play or talk about games?

Comment

Originally posted by G'Kar

To be more specific, I'll say that it was the policy of European nations to treat blacks and browns as though they had little if any history or culture.
                          Then again, we tend to integrate and assimilate other races rather than treating blacks and browns as a seperate entity in our 'culture' nowadays. Perhaps our longer history of dealing with other cultures has led us to this end, whereas the US in it's relative infancy has still to realise the benefits?

Anyway, I object to the plainly off-white-yellowish-bronzed look of Cleo in Civ3. It's obvious Firaxis are Nazis who hate anyone who gets decent levels of sunshine for more than 2 months of the year.

Get a grip.
                          Three words :- Increase your medication.

Comment

Troll
                            To La Fayette, as fine a gentleman as ever trod the Halls of Apolyton

From what I understand of that Civ game of yours, it's all about launching one's own spaceship before the others do. So this is no big news after all: my father just beat you all to the stars once more. - Philippe Baise

Comment

Originally posted by MarkG
                              light up dude
                              That pretty much goes for everyone. This is Civ. Its not like trying to conquer the world is politically correct either. I see political correctness in general as an attempt by some to impose their views upon others.
                              "And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you—ask what you can do for your country. My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man." -- JFK Inaugural, 1961
                              "Extremism in the defense of liberty is not a vice." -- Barry Goldwater, 1964 GOP Nomination acceptance speech (not George W. Bush 40 years later...)
                              2004 Presidential Candidate
                              2008 Presidential Candidate (for what its worth)

Comment

Anyway, I object to the plainly off-white-yellowish-bronzed look of Cleo in Civ3. It's obvious Firaxis are Nazis who hate anyone who gets decent levels of sunshine for more than 2 months of the year.

Get a grip.
                                CLUELESS!!
                                Alright, forget the "politically-correct"!
                                Your total IGNORANCE* with the "air" of knowledge has gotten disgusting!

Who conquered Egypt in the time of Alexander the Great? Who were the ruling class of Egypt during Cleo's time? Do some RESEARCH! (Hint: it had some tinge of Grecean formula to it).

* (1) I have read enough of Jeem's posts to put him on ignore. Why didn't I ignore this one! (2) If this had been CFC, I would probably get a couple days "vacation".
                                Last edited by Jaybe; December 20, 2003, 03:29.

Comment

Working...
                                X