Racist Undertones in Conquests

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Racist Undertones in Conquests

I was disgusted, while playing the Mesoamerica scenario, to see the specific civilization characters used to portray the lesser powers such as the Toltecs and Olmecs. The fact that the developers used already-existing characters to stand for the lesser powers did not surprise me. What did was the fact that the developers chose to use all the non-white leaders to stand for them. I acknlowedge that the ancient leaders of the Mesoamerican powers were not white by our standards, but this is by no means a justification to generalize and use character pictures from the Zulus, Iroquoi, and Mongols, to name a few. This just lumps together all the non-white characters and assumes they can represent any other non-white character or people. I would like to hear people's comments on this. Thanks.

They did a lot of skimping on artwork for Conquests in order to get the game released "on time." Frankly, since I pay almost no attention to leaderheads, I hadn't even noticed.

-Arrian
    grog want tank...Grog Want Tank... GROG WANT TANK!

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

I would like to hear people's comments on this.
      i think you're off your rocker.

the only racism i've found in conquests is when i start making up new slurs to use against my captured workers.
      it's just my opinion. can you dig it?

Comment

Do you care that they used Abe as the leaderhead for Burgundy in the Middle Ages Scenario?

Comment

I'm not sure where you got the idea that they skimped on the art to get the game out on time, Arrian? Unless you're referring to the city views which I can count the number of times I've looked at on one hand....

But lemme join the "Yer off yer rocker" chorus on this one. I would imagine that - if any thought was put into which leaderheads were chosen, which I doubt - they chose the typically "ancient culture" civilization leaderheads for Mesoamerica.

I sincerely doubt any racism was intended or expressed by the choices made there.

It's this sort of rampant political correctness rubbish that has me saying "Fireperson" and "policeperson" to my students in class now. :P (Not that I actually DO, mind you.)
          Friedrich Psitalon
          Admin, Civ4Players Ladder
          Consultant, Firaxis Games

Comment

I couldn't imagine being one of your students Fried-must be a harrowing experience.

Comment

Maybe you could consider that it may not have been an overt racist choice, but merely one of expedience. It is not always required that one does things like this because they are evil, sometimes they are thoughtless (not studid), careless or wrong.
              So why not give them the benefit of the doubt, until you have a reason to do otherwise?

I mean do you really think they sat down to do this as a means of demeaning someone?

Comment

Re: Racist Undertones in Conquests

Originally posted by Metazoa
                I would like to hear people's comments on this. Thanks.
                My comment would be that I think you are slightly crazy and paranoid. Or are just trying to stir up trouble.

Comment

I'm not sure where you got the idea that they skimped on the art to get the game out on time, Arrian? Unless you're referring to the city views which I can count the number of times I've looked at on one hand...
                  Exactly what I meant. In other words: they didn't waste time perfecting silly little **** that I don't care about. I wasn't in any way complaining.

I too think he's off his rocker, but was trying to say it more politely.

-Arrian

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

Metazoa is right, this smacks of the kind of racism that says white is pure and anything else is inferior so it's allright to jumble around the black and brown peoples. It's as if the blacks and browns have no definitive cultures of their own, which is exactly what Europeans thought for a long time.
                    "It takes you years to learn how to play like yourself." Miles Davis

Comment

Originally posted by Fried-Psitalon
                      I sincerely doubt any racism was intended or expressed by the choices made there.
                      I doubt it was intended also. But racism is so entrentched in the American phyche, it penetrates everything regardless if we're aware of it or not.

It's this sort of rampant political correctness rubbish that has me saying "Fireperson" and "policeperson" to my students in class now. :P (Not that I actually DO, mind you.)
                      It's not politically correct, it's correct period. Shaka was not in Mesoamerica, or do you teach your students that he was? The Zulu and the Iroqs etc. are very different people. Indeed, the Zulu and the Xhosa are very different people.

Let's not go back to "all the mud people look alike".

Get a clue people.

Comment

Originally posted by Arrian
                        I too think he's off his rocker, but was trying to say it more politely.

-Arrian
                        He's not off his rocker, see above.
                        Last edited by G'Kar; December 19, 2003, 15:02.

Comment

Originally posted by G'Kar
                          Metazoa is right, this smacks of the kind of racism that says white is pure and anything else is inferior so it's allright to jumble around the black and brown peoples. It's as if the blacks and browns have no definitive cultures of their own, which is exactly what Europeans thought for a long time.
                          I have a few choice words for this post, but they'd get filtered.

To the OP: You're being a bit extreme, reactionary, and over-PC. (Another polite way of saying off your rocker.)

To G'Kar: In light of the lengthy descriptions of various civs in the 'pedia and the general attention to detail, your post more off-the-rocker PC tripe. Next you'll say that this is just like the Haitians thing in GTA, which was also daft.

It's a game, folks.
                          Just a game.
                          Get over yourselves and start a new game.
                          Or quit playing this one.
                          Or get an artist to mod in more accurate leaderheads.
                          Either way, Civ3 and its expansions are not a political or cultural statement.
                          It's a game.
                          "Just once, do me a favor, don't play Gray, don't even play Dark... I want to see Center-of-a-Black-Hole Side!!! " - Theseus nee rpodos

Comment

I think my Warmonger POV is interfering with my understanding of this silly thread and its impact on combat calculations and overall game balance.

In other words, gimme a break.
                            The greatest delight for man is to inflict defeat on his enemies, to drive them before him, to see those dear to them with their faces bathed in tears, to bestride their horses, to crush in his arms their daughters and wives.

Duas uncias in puncta mortalis est.

Comment

Get a clue people.
                              Pick your battles, people. Seriously, this is 1 scenario in a computer game. A computer game, I might add, made by a design team that flat-out admitted that they didn't totally finish the artwork in the game in order to get it done - they prioritized other things.

So, even if you are right (which I do not necessarily concede, but I don't want to argue it), it's pretty silly to work up moral outrage over this.

-Arrian

Comment

Working...
                              X