Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

C3C : Strategic Resources Scarcity Sucks!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is there a cheat for adding resources on the map during gameplay? I'm suspecting the map I'm currently playing on to be lacking coal...

Comment

Check in the Civ3 Files section to see if Gramphos has updated his C3MT (Civ3 Multi-tool) for C3C and the beta patch. IIRC that can edit savegames, but I am not certain what exactly it can do. However, no map should be completely without a resource. There may not be many of them (especially in C3C), but there should always be some. Try Ctrl-Shift-N and removing all the cities etc from the map - sometimes resources can exist under cities and you don't seem them all that easily on a quick scan of the world.
      Consul.

Back to the ROOTS of addiction. My first missed poll!

Comment

thanks, I'll check for the gramphos tool. I already tried the clean map option.

Comment

If there's no coal at all in the game, I wouldn't be too fussed, as no-one else can benefit from it.

Comment

I just modded my game to add more civs at each size.

Tiny = 6
            Small = 10
            Regular = 14
            Large = 18
            Huge = 24

Interesting thing. The number of available resourses went up dramaticly. In my game playing on a regular map with 14 civs, only one team got jipped out of iron (they happened to be right next to me. Guess what happened to 'em ) and only one missed out on horse. There were even some who had two of each. Lux were also abundant ( including Ivory). I will most likely play with this modded game more often to solve the resource problem.
            Founder of The Glory of War, CHAMPIONS OF APOLYTON!!!
            1992-Perot , 1996-Perot , 2000-Bush , 2004-Bush :|, 2008-Obama :|, 2012-Obama , 2016-Clinton , 2020-Biden

Comment

Very interesting, donegeal. That certainly looks like a disproportionate rise in resource availability.

In my last game I started with Ivory on my 5-civ continent so I decided to go warmonger. By the time Gunpowder rolled around I was the only one with (the sole source of) Saltpeter on my continent, and it was cav vs spears. I then smacked up a weak overseas civ, hoping that 66% pop (I had 70%) was enough for domination, but you need the 66% land too (I only had 45%). From such a check-mate position, I don't know whether it's worth churning out the units to get an official win or just start again.

Comment

The only thing saving Firaxis from my ire is my current lack of uranium.

Comment

Originally posted by Cort Haus
                  Very interesting, donegeal. That certainly looks like a disproportionate rise in resource availability.

In my last game I started with Ivory on my 5-civ continent so I decided to go warmonger. By the time Gunpowder rolled around I was the only one with (the sole source of) Saltpeter on my continent, and it was cav vs spears. I then smacked up a weak overseas civ, hoping that 66% pop (I had 70%) was enough for domination, but you need the 66% land too (I only had 45%). From such a check-mate position, I don't know whether it's worth churning out the units to get an official win or just start again.
                  If you're the only one with Gunpowder, then it shouldn't take so many units, should it? Or are the remaining civs all equal with you? Once I have got to a point where the only things standing in my way of a Domination are strong civs and I have warmongered for a while, I tend to just sacrifice EVERYTHING for units and the Domination victory. That habit started with C3C, where I got a resource and others didn't. If I didn't have a resource I would have to wait/conquer until I did, and then take on everyone without it.

C3C encourages warmongering, I tell you...
                  Consul.

Back to the ROOTS of addiction. My first missed poll!

Comment

Originally posted by MrWhereItsAt

C3C encourages warmongering, I tell you...
                    I know, and that's why I'm finding it a bit boring.

Comment

[QUOTE] Originally posted by vmxa1
                      It is not resources I am short of, it is luxs. I have had two games in a row where I only had two on the whole contient in a two contient game.

I have a game I am sitting on trying to figure out a strategy to play with. No luxeries at all on my continent! One neighbor at the other end pretty far away. Contact by galleys and everybody on the other continents seems to have plenty. Hoping for later strategic rescourses! Maybe a monopoly of some kind. I think I need to control my whole continant for better chances. Very interesting indeed. I've always had at least one.

Comment

No doubt about it, the resource situation is a problem.

It begs for a mod that provides either weaker units without a given resource, or a superior unit with. Light Tank/Battle Tank/Heavy Tank sort of thing.

Something also has to be done about RRs, coal and iron. It is no challenge at all when only 1 or 2 civs out of 6 or 8 can build RRs. If you're willing to go to war, the chance of the human being one of those without is very slim.
                        (\__/)
                        (='.'=)
                        (")_(") This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

Comment

No luxs, ouch. (vmxa tries to dry his eyes)

Comment

I'll add in my observations to the mix.

I've played over 25 epic games with C3C since I bought the game. I've had the game since release day and haven't tried any of the conquests yet. However I do notice that compared to vanilla civ and ptw resources do appear to be scarcer. I like this though.

Now you must focus almost every turn on trade to get resources peacefully or you have to go to war and be very precise in your strike. Ask for peace and secure your resource. The game must be played differently than before and yes war is more of a neccesity now but there is always the restart button if you think the situation is hopeless.
                            signature not visible until patch comes out.

Comment

Not that my observations are worth much, since they're based on 1 game with conquests so far... (and that's only in the middle of the industrial era - not yet got to oil).

I started in a very cramped area, and had to take out the Americans to get enough room to breathe. The Aztecs and I have about half the continent each now, although they have slightly more (and this is after I took some of their territory, after I was done with America - not very nice starting locations). This left 6 civs of roughly equal size (plus the Iriquois on the other continent which were reduced to OCC by the AI civs there). My resource count is 2 spices, 1 wines, 1 iron, 1 horses, 1 coal, 1 saltpetre, 2 rubber. Of those, the horses, coal, saltepetre and one rubber were in American territory, with only the spices, wine, iron and 1 rubber in my 'native' area (and the wine only by dint of agressive expansion towards Washington).

Resources do seem scarcer - which is more of a problem with luxuries IMHO. Almost none of the AI have any to spare - I've had to live with 2 native and 2 imported for most of the game.

In many ways though, the game is atypical. On emperor, I nabbed 3 ancient wonders without SGLs (colossus and great library in my capital which also served as a settler pump during the REX phase, plus the lighthouse in a nearby city). It's all a bit strange.

Comment

Originally posted by jimmytrick
                                The only thing saving Firaxis from my ire is my current lack of uranium.

If I only had Horses, I'd have attacked them long before.

Steven
                                "...Every Right implies a certain Responsibility; Every Opportunity, an Obligation; Every Possession, a Duty." --J.D. Rockerfeller, Jr.

Comment

Working...
                                X