No announcement yet.

Rise of Rome Conquest

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well I finally beat this scenario from the game above. 14 hours!! A bit too long for my tastes.

For some reason those swordsmen are extra tough. The greek uu was also tough. Is there some code that says uu's get a bonus in combat?

Because when I faced the Persian heavy cavalry and spearmen, they went down to my legions like nothing. I blasted through the Persians. Even in heavy terrain such as hills.

But I struggled against the Celts and the Macedonians. :shrug: Go figure. But the Carthagians, Egyptians, and Persians were fairly easy. I can't figure it out.

And diplomacy is very important in this scenario as I found out nearly the hard way. You got to watch when you got your foot on the throat of another nation. They will make some deal to get one of your neighbors to attack you. This isn't uncommon in civ of course. I just didn't think the backwoods barbarians would pose any threat.

But I'm happy. I got the map to look fairly impressive. I wanted to do everything by conquest, but I did fill in some empy spots in Spain, N. Africa, and the Hungary, Yugoslavia region. I also put a couple of dangerous cities between the goths and celts in the check, Austria area. I felt like I could prevent them from attacking me. I got the entire coast of Africa looking red just like I remembered them from my school maps in my textbooks. But I wasn't able to take Greece out, or Istanbul. But I did get a pretty good chunk of Persia. I also had the island of crete, and the European areas I mentioned above.

Now to the next scenario. I want to beat them all and then go back and replay some of them as one of the weaker powers.

As for how I liked the scenario. It was fairly fun for a war scenario. But the map is a bit too big for my tastes, and far too many units to move around. And so many cities to manage.

Here are some of my unit totals.

10 workers (but many conquered ones), 3 archers, 17 spearmen, 94 garrisons, 14 galleys, 5 armies (I thought 3 was the limit? I was able to make more, so I did), 8 legionary (1 I think), 8 heavy cavalry, 9 fire catapults, 4 citizens, 5 legionary (2 I think), and 54 legionary III's.
    Last edited by Dis; November 18, 2003, 05:32.

Comment

Originally posted by joncnunn
      Forgeting to build roads with Legonaries should result in being thrashed.

The other thing that should get the Romans thrashed is trying to take on both Greece and Carthage on turn 1.
      Won by Domination as Rome on Monarch, and I think that my Legions roaded two tiles the entire game. I really didn't find it that useful an ability; those helpful Barbarians had roaded straight from their territory to my capital before the Conquest had even started.

I'll agree with your other tip, however. After taking Sicily, Corsica and Sardinia from the Carthaginians, I (ahistorically) eliminated the Celts before they could spread and captured a number of Goth cities. It was only when I realized just how (ahistorically) huge Persia was getting after it swallowed Egypt and what would have been Seleucid territory that I attacked the weakened Macdeonia in order to create a path to Byzantium for me (where I (not ahistorically) placed my FP). Immediately after their peace settlement, Macedonia was paid off by the Cathaginians to attack me, and it took *forever* to root out all of those hoplites in Greece proper, even with masses of third-tier Legions. If I didn't have The Republic, with it's amped-up Legions, it would have gone very badly for me. Even still, I might not have won in time if it hadn't been for a shockingly succesful campaign against Carthage in the southern coast of Spain. It was meant as a troop distraction but wound up with Rome owning all of Northwest Africa after Carthage rolled over, sending its troops in assault after assault on Sicily instead of defending its west.

The gpt bug really skews this Conquest, I think. The tech race was over by a third of the way through the allotted time, as well, which only made the amount of money floating around that much worse. I just got into the habit of allying with every single civ. If I didn't renew alliances against Carthage every twenty turns, Carthage would immediately sign alliances against me. Even those "backwoods barbarians" had so much money coming in that they could pay off every single other civ to join their wars. I'll probably try it again after the patch and see what a difference it makes.
      "It might be a good idea." -- Mahatma Gandhi, when asked what he thought of Western Civilization.

Comment

I went through the pain of totally eliminating the carthagians and egyptians (even the cities they put out in the middle of the desert). I may have lost a little time on that. I was afraid I wouldn't win in time.

I guess I could have hit the celts and goths early. It would have been nice because they backstabbed me later. And I couldn't defeat their gallic swordsmen with superior Legionary 3's. But I made peace with them and bribed the to staty friendly.

I attacked Persia from the Egyptian cities (and lots of galley's ferrying troops from Italy to N. Africa). Persia was very easy to thrash. The game ended before I took over all their cities though. I achieved 20% land. I wasn't able to do anything to macedonia. Their UU was being a pain as well. The only uu I did well against was the numidian mercenary.

And did anyone else have a bug (?) of being able to build the numbidian mercenary in the captured N. African cities?

Comment

Originally posted by Dissident
          And did anyone else have a bug (?) of being able to build the numbidian mercenary in the captured N. African cities?
          No Numidian Mercenaries for me in my occupied African territory. At least I never noticed them as an option.

I did have one build bug where a single former Persian city couldn't build anything requiring resources, even though it was connected to my trade path, and the proper strategic resources showed up in the city screen. Reload fixed it. Never known that to happen in any other Civ3 game I was playing.
          "It might be a good idea." -- Mahatma Gandhi, when asked what he thought of Western Civilization.

Comment

[SIZE=1] And did anyone else have a bug (?) of being able to build the numbidian mercenary in the captured N. African cities?
            Why would this be a "bug"? As per the design, if a city has access to ivory it should be able to build Numid. Merc. BTW, the "Design Diary" for this scenario should be coming within a week ...or so.

Comment

I hope they list the unit stats, so I won't have to ask you guys the stats of every unit....

BTW, after I finish editing the Mesopotamian scenario, I think I'll try getting a shot of messing up Rome as well

So far, I'm not sure what I'll add, besides the Seleucids and a few unit changes - Every civ now gets a skirmishing unit (Rome has Velites. Carthage has Balearic Slingers. The Macedonians and Seleucids have Peltasts. Egypt, Persia, and the barbarians have Archers). I'm also adding Numidian Cavalry (available to everyone, but the resources are in Carthaginian territory), changing Numid Mercs to Libyan Spears (available only to Carthage), giving the Macedonians and Seleucids Elephants (imported from India, they can't build any more, though). And each Legion will have a different graphic.

I think that's about it, but I'd be welcome to ideas.
              Beer is proof that God loves you and wants you to be happy - Ben Franklin

Comment

I'm playing this as Rome with Emperor difficulty. I am not quite halfway through the game and am not sure if I'll win or not. Persia has eliminated the Egyptians and I've eliminated the Celts. Just built the Heroic Epic in Rome and have 3 armies (2 legions, 1 heavy cav). I think I'll take out the Goths and kick Carthage out of Spain. Persia is leading with 9% of the territory and I'm at 7%. Currently allied with the Mongols and Greece.

Lots of fun.

Comment

Currently allied with the Mongols and Greece
                  what do the Mongols have to do with early Rome?
                  Quod Me Nutrit Me Destruit

Comment

My guess is that one of the civs uses the Mongol leaderhead (probably the Scythians).
                    Beer is proof that God loves you and wants you to be happy - Ben Franklin

Comment

Originally posted by Louis XXIV
                      My guess is that one of the civs uses the Mongol leaderhead (probably the Scythians).
                      Yes. It's a little disappointing. I really disliked looking at Lincoln's face in the Middle Ages Conquest, as well.

Comment

Originally posted by jkelly

Yes. It's a little disappointing. I really disliked looking at Lincoln's face in the Middle Ages Conquest, as well.
                        I found that one to be disturbing as well. Lincoln of Burgandy? Hmm....I would rather have had flags or something.

Comment

Yeah it is the Scythians. I couldn't remember their name just their face.

Comment

Maybe Firaxis enjoyed 1641?
                            1st C3DG Term 7 Science Advisor 1st C3DG Term 8 Domestic Minister
                            Templar Science Minister
                            AI: I sure wish Jon would hurry up and complete his turn, he's been at it for over 1,200,000 milliseconds now.

Comment

Working...
                            X