Rise of Rome Conquest

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rise of Rome Conquest

Has anyone attempted to play the Rise of Rome conquest as a civ other than the Romans? Best choice of civ? Strategies?

Yes. I just started as Rome at Sid level. WIll keep you posted.

Comment

try to get the scythians on your side if you are greek or persian, they can be a pain.

I would recommend trying to enlist all of the minors-scythians, goths, celts (egypt) against your enemy.

I really think that this scenario should have been the 8 city elimination rather than fall of rome-its a real pain to take out the carthage spanish holding for instance....

are persia and greece at locked war?

Comment

I think that the scenerio is probably easyist played as the Romans due to Legions building roads, with Carthagians second.

It's much tougher to win as the other two (probably requires that Rome and Catharge stale-mate)

Additions: Greece is probably the hardest civ that your allowed to play to win with.

If Persia wasn't in a locked war with Greece, they might be able to just concentrate on rapid development and try to reach the pop needed peacefully given how much territory they start with.
        Last edited by joncnunn; November 13, 2003, 20:27.
        1st C3DG Term 7 Science Advisor 1st C3DG Term 8 Domestic Minister
        Templar Science Minister
        AI: I sure wish Jon would hurry up and complete his turn, he's been at it for over 1,200,000 milliseconds now.

Comment

Are the Celts considered playable, or AI-only? (I thought I had heard they were AI only).
          Beer is proof that God loves you and wants you to be happy - Ben Franklin

Comment

Originally posted by Louis XXIV
            Are the Celts considered playable, or AI-only? (I thought I had heard they were AI only).
            ai only

too bad, would be interesting.

what I would like to play as are the scythians. They've kicked a lot of butt in my current game, at one point taking a nice chunk below the caucusus (???) mountiains including a persian wonder city! now they are retreating, but still,was cool for a while.they have a keshik style 3/1/2 horse.

Comment

I guess I might try and edit Rise of Rome after I finish with my ideas for Mesopotamia.
              Beer is proof that God loves you and wants you to be happy - Ben Franklin

Comment

First on the list: relocate the starting workers for everybody out of the capital so that human Rome doesn't buy them all on turn 1, which is a no-brainer human tactic.

And hopefully the AI isn't locked into building what they start with on turn 1. What I saw my Roman empire building and their work force allocations as made zero sense to me, but at least I could change them to more useful items like Legionaries, Harbors for Vetran Galleys and making Iron adviable on Silicy, and a Temple in Rome.
                Templar Science Minister
                AI: I sure wish Jon would hurry up and complete his turn, he's been at it for over 1,200,000 milliseconds now.

Comment

You could just not do that, joncnun

Seriously, it might be better to remove temptation.
                  Seemingly Benign
                  Download Watercolor Terrain - New Conquests Watercolor Terrain

Comment

I played Rise of Rome as Persia and won on regent in about 80 turns. It was great. The travel time to the Greek front was slow but I conquered them and Egypt.
                    "I don't want to escape reality, I want Reality to escape from me!"

--- T Rapp

Comment

Rome..

No such luck with me got thrashed but I forgot Legions colud make roads. It should have been like Shegnoku, where you upgrade units like the Diaymo.... dang. Meanig, that legions can upgrade with a city with barracks

Comment

Forgeting to build roads with Legonaries should result in being thrashed.

The other thing that should get the Romans thrashed is trying to take on both Greece and Carthage on turn 1.

I think winning as Persia would be much more challenging on Monarch than Regent.
                        Templar Science Minister

Comment

Originally posted by joncnunn
                          I think that the scenerio is probably easyist played as the Romans due to Legions building roads, with Carthagians second.

It's much tougher to win as the other two (probably requires that Rome and Catharge stale-mate)

Additions: Greece is probably the hardest civ that your allowed to play to win with.

If Persia wasn't in a locked war with Greece, they might be able to just concentrate on rapid development and try to reach the pop needed peacefully given how much territory they start with.
                          I'm playing as Greece now, and I have found that fighting Persia is quite easy. (Demigod level) As long as Rome doesn't quickly defeat Carthage and come after you, you can win by score. If you take and hold Asia Minor, then you're already the largest civ. If you take all of Persia, which isn't that difficult, you will win. A combined Greece+Persia empire is much much larger than a combined Rome+Carthage one.

Once I finish off Persia, I will have to make a decision. I will have to either help Carthage trim Rome so that it doesn't run over everybody with 6/5/1 Legionary IIIs, or I can take Egypt and Scythia and try for a quick win before Rome becomes too powerful.

Sorry if my thoughts are a little incoherent.
                          "You're the biggest user of hindsight that I've ever known. Your favorite team, in any sport, is the one that just won. If you were a woman, you'd likely be a slut." - Slowwhand, to Imran

Eschewing silly games since December 4, 2005

Comment

I'm playing Rome now. And I'm struggling. Well not really. I am kicking ass, but not fast enough.

I have 10% of the world area. Am I right that you need to satisfy both victory conditions? World area AND population?

I should be able to get population before time runs out, but I'm worried about world area. I'm passed the halfway point and I'm only at 10%.

I took over all of Carthage, and the Egyptians are almost gone.

Persia still has a higher score than me- even though they have less land area and population. So I've decided to ingore Greece (their hoplites proved very tough- there were unlimited numbers of them it seemed). And I need to attack persia to get their numbers down.

But the damn civ who starts where France is, just burned one of my cities to the ground I'm very pissed. And I want to take them over as well.

I'm trying to maintain some historical accuracy and make the map look like in the history books. But I just dont think I'll have enough time to take Greece.

Comment

deleted. I finally got it. see below.
                              Last edited by Dis; November 18, 2003, 05:25.

Comment

Working...
                              X