Early Landing Comparison Game #3

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Early Landing Comparison Game #3

Okay, here is the start for game #3. You'll be playing as the Vikings at Deity with raging hordes, on a medium map with standard options. Since two SSC specials are hidden, I'll tell you its map coordinates: (59,69).

For this game we'll be featuring another large map start, to give players a choice to play the size map they prefer.

If you have time, you can play both maps, but the deadline for both games will be Sunday, April 27.

There will be a separate comparison table for each game.

There is a renewed request for a lower barb setting in game #4, so I'd like to re-poll players about this possibility.

Don't forget to enjoy your game(s)!

Rules used for Comparison Games

a) The human player may not tip any huts. What’s a rule without an exception, so in the rare situation where a hut may block a player’s movement, the player must save the game, after which the hut is tipped enough times until it produces a military unit or a nomad, which must then be immediately disbanded. Huts appearing in a radius of any city can be destroyed without reaping any benefit by placing a citizen on the hut’s tile while in the city display.

b) Since the game attempts to prevent caravan and freight re-homing, this exploit is not allowed. Any other ploy or exploit is allowed.

c) As a minimum each player should provide a summary of their game, using the format provided with each game start. Each player is also encouraged to keep a chronological log of their game, listing significant events. The addition of details describing the game and strategic decisions made while playing it add interest, so doing this is very much encouraged. Once a game is completed, a short game summary and the optional log should be posted in the game’s thread. Attached to this post should be a save of the game made showing a completed ship or one on the way to Alpha Centauri.

d) The player posting the best landing date before the deadline will be declared the winner of that game. If the date is the best so far attained in comparison games, it will become the new “official” record.

Summary Format

Governments
    Monarchy
    Republic
    Democracy
    Communism/Fundamentalism

Wonders
    HG
    MPE
    ST
    Colossus
    Copernicus
    Isaac's
    Leo's
    Michaelangelo's
    Darwin's
    SETI
    Apollo

SSC stats
    size 8
    size 12
    size 21
    max. size

Techs
    Trade
    Invention
    Railroad
    Automobile
    Nuclear Power
    Computers
    Flight
    Space Flight

Key civ contact

AC arrival

The table following each game will contain these stats. Of course, you may not end up building all wonders listed, or use all governments, so just keep track of dates relevant to your own game. More detailed logs and/or written accounts of games will be at the players' discretion. Add as little or as much as you want to the required summary.

This is the start for the medium map game. See the following post for the large map start.
    Attached Files

This is the large map start. Two SSC specials are already in view.
    Attached Files

Comment

No hut tipping and no caravan rehoming? This will definitely slow down the game. I wonder if the game will be slowed down so much that perhaps a power Democracy type of game will produce an earlier landing date than a tight game with an SSC + some helpers. The power game has a slower start with more cities founded, early HG, some off path techs and wonders (MC, JSB) but late in the game it should be possible to get 2 advances per turn or possibly 3. The space ship can be built in one turn also or even 0 turns using the zoom to city trick. With some good planning including the precise building of Darwin's you could perhaps launch the SS on the same turn as Space Flight is discovered!

Maybe I'll give this a try!

Comment

Sounds intersting, I'll try it.

Whats the coordinates for the second special?

Some people dont have the hutfinderprogram

Comment

Originally posted by Cliff
          No hut tipping and no caravan rehoming? This will definitely slow down the game. I wonder if the game will be slowed down so much that perhaps a power Democracy type of game will produce an earlier landing date than a tight game with an SSC + some helpers. The power game has a slower start with more cities founded, early HG, some off path techs and wonders (MC, JSB) but late in the game it should be possible to get 2 advances per turn or possibly 3. The space ship can be built in one turn also or even 0 turns using the zoom to city trick. With some good planning including the precise building of Darwin's you could perhaps launch the SS on the same turn as Space Flight is discovered!

Maybe I'll give this a try!
          Welcome, Cliff. Solo and the rest of us decided to try to minimize the effects of random events such as hut results to make the games more comparable. It would be interesting to see an attempt at Power Democracy; I would guess you will have a hard time beating Solo's methods but I think it is worth trying. I had been playing with extended Monarchy and early Marco Polo, but that did not seem significantly better than Solo's Early Republic OCC With Helpers And Colonies (how's that for a title?). Beware the Barbs: we did not eliminate ALL the random events! Our first game featured the Mongols as nearby neighbors, which was great for a RR trade bonus to the KeyCiv but also led to a few early deaths and some "punitive expedition" diversions...

Comment

What is happening? I started playing this game but on first contact with the AI I there was something wrong with the diplomacy screen. I could answer to the AI's demands but I could not respond in usual fashion. The "We... 1. Consider the discussion complete..." etc dialog box never appeared. I tried with other saves from other games and it worked as it should but not in this game. Any ideas?

Comment

Welcome to atawa & Cliff!

Glad to see some more players. In answer to your questions:

The coordinates given were for the center of the SSC. The two missing specials will be hidden by grassland, but the other two will be visible in their corners.

A power Democracy game should prove interesting! Starts were created with Civ version 2.42, and should be compatible with that and also with MGE. What version are you using? I think some others have had diplomacy screen problems using FW, or with versions of Civ other than 2.42.

Comment

I'm playing FW so that may explain the diplomacy screen problems. I upgraded my 2.42 version with a patch so I guess I can always replace the new files with the old ones, at least when playing this game.

Comment

Originally posted by Cliff
                  What is happening? I started playing this game but on first contact with the AI I there was something wrong with the diplomacy screen. I could answer to the AI's demands but I could not respond in usual fashion. The "We... 1. Consider the discussion complete..." etc dialog box never appeared. I tried with other saves from other games and it worked as it should but not in this game. Any ideas?
                  I had exactly this problem with the first comparison game using FW. Everything was fine after I changed to 2.42.

RJM at Sleepers
                  Last edited by rjmatsleepers; April 9, 2003, 02:39.
                  Fill me with the old familiar juice

Comment

Right - I've downloaded both starts. The large one looks more interesting so I'll probably start with that one.

The rest of you can get on with your attempts to land before 1000AD. My personal target will be to launch before the date change in 1850

Thanks for setting it up Solo.

RJM at Sleepers
                    Fill me with the old familiar juice

Comment

OK, I have reinstalled 2.42 and now it works!

I play my new early game low science rate strategy and I'm doing fine (even tech wise).

It is 500BC, I have 22 cities, only 12 techs but 7 more are available through AI trades. 2 Wonders, HG + MPE. Government is still Monarchy and I will stay in Monarchy till about 1AD or even later when it is time to grow all cities through WLTCD.

Cities on main continent have switched from Settlers production to Caravan production. I want to build several wonders so I need those Caravans. Colonies still produce Settlers and Triremes.

Governments
                      Monarchy 2250BC

Wonders
                      HG 1200BC
                      MPE 1500BC

Techs
                      Trade 1750BC

Key civ contact 1500BC

Comment

Cliff,

Excellent start. Good luck!!

Invoking the voice and background music from 'Iron Chef,' " Show us the way to a new understanding of this dish."

Previous comments aside, I echo Solo's sentiment of wonder and excitement about different approachs to achieving this goal and what that reveals to us about the game.

Monk
                        so long and thanks for all the fish

Comment

I see you're playing Monarchy-MarcoPolo. I was going to try giving that up this round. We'll see...

Comment

I am continuing my game, and think that this start will produce the best landing date yet.

So far I'm going with MPE, but am sticking with early Republic.

Like SG(2) said in the last game, I have a "cunning plan"!

Comment

Is it a plan so cunning you could pin a tail on it and call it a weasel.
                              Hold my girlfriend while I kiss your skis.

Comment

Working...
                              X