No announcement yet.

New "Ancient Empires" PBEM created

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I tried to open the save. A Hittite visit from Nineveh. Maybe Straybow forgot something?
    Civ2 "Great Library Index": direct download, Apolyton attachment

Comment

• Kull, I am not sure what exactly you meant by your sentence, but I will post some thoughts:
      I think 'accusing from cheating' should be considered something absolutely legal. If X has a suspicion that Y is cheating then he asks a third-party person who checks the cause. This helps to appease even a small suspicion and helps to discourage any feather-brained player. There is no reason why Y should feel offended by X.
      If I understood your words correctly then it is 2nd time you make a dramatic event from your suspicion and I don't like it.

For new players: if you want to know something about the old cause you can go to 'Posted by Kull on 24-01-2004 17:47' or find the text on a 'Show a Printable Version' page.

Comment

• Where did that nice Dr Burns get to ?

Comment

• Go away for a few hours and look what happens...

Yikes, SlowThinker is correct, no Ctrl-n. It looks like I posted my just-before-Ctrl-n backup...

Now I look at it, it appears that a unit which I clearly remember moving is in the wrong place. Looking in the directory I see a "hittites_b2600.net.sav" file. It appears I loaded in SP to do my end-of-turn tidying and saved it, and then sent on the previous NET save.

Unit re-moved, Ctrl-n applied. Small slice of humble pie eaten.
          Attached Files
          (\__/) Save a bunny, eat more Smurf!
          (='.'=) Sponsored by the National Smurfmeat Council
          (")_(") Smurf, the original blue meat! © 1999, patent pending, ® and ™ (except that "Smurf" bit)

Comment

• Dr Burns and his unit of strong men are below my window. Dr. Burns is saying I am a dangerous sadist, this was proven by my humiliation of Kull and I must go with him. My time is short, but I would like to write a couple of words:

I made a difference where The Immo is talking to Pharaoh and where ST is talking to Kull. Later I realized I should stress it and therefore I made the names bold.
            Kull and Pharaoh are two absolutely different persons for me. I won't travel to Texas and I won't kill Kull. (Yes, I fired germanos' computer and his home burned down too but I didn't cause any injury to him.)

The Immo IS humiliating Pharaoh. The words about paranoids seem to be related to the Kull-ST cheating affair but this is just a coincidence. The Immo wanted to show the vocabulary of Pharaoh and so he collected the worst words that he found in messages from Pharaoh.

SlowThinker realized the phrase "Have a nice game" can mean "Good Bye". This is why he/I was narked and said Kull was making a 'dramatic event'. I was pleased with the Kull's role in the 2nd half of the first cheating affair and now I am disappointed.

Comment

• You know, only so much can be done to try to get two hard headed know-it-all pains in the @ss to pull thier collective noggins from thier dirty hole and try to get a glimps of sun light.

The point that both Immo and Pharoh seem to be missing is that NEITHER Civ is (supposedly)looking for war. I am not currently at war, nor do I hope to be at war with another nation but I still build defenses, so does Babylon, and if Hatta and Greece are not then they will. Its how it works.

The "Rose" Zones are a "Good faith" rule that show both nations willingness to defend without attack. If parking units for attack then that good faith is broken and you have essentially declared your intention to attack. If a unit is bribed it won't be hard to see who bribed it, and then THAT player has broken faith. In either case the agreement is off and the War is started.

If Egypt wants war it will find a way to declare it.
              If Babylon wants war it will find a way to delcare it.

If neither wants war THIS IS THE WAY TO PEACE
              So pop your heads out and take a deap breath of fresh air. Agree to the tearms, agree to NOT ATTACK EACH OTHER and we can work the rest out as it becomes important. I could speculate for a month on what could be, but what IS smells like fertilizer and has to change!

Wizards sixth rule:
              "The only sovereign you can allow to rule you is reason."
              Can't keep me down, I will CIV on.

Comment

• Peaster told me he prefered I would play my turn but IMO it is senseless to make it now:
                If Kull will leave the game then we will have to search for a substitute.
                If Kull returns then he will probably ask that an outside civer investigates his suspicion (I recommend it). The game should be freezed until then.

Also before I play I would like to know if Egypt is receiving. Pharaoh stated he was not willing to discuss the terms of zones before our turns, but I would like it is clear he holds his stance. IMO each new turn causes that a possible agreement is harder to make, because we build Sargons and similar things and somebody may regret subconsciously the armament is not used. This is not a case of The Immortal but he is more and more narked if he must invest in armies and scouts in place of economy.

Comment

• Alas, poor Babylon (72 hours have expired)
                  Attached Files
                  To La Fayette, as fine a gentleman as ever trod the Halls of Apolyton

From what I understand of that Civ game of yours, it's all about launching one's own spaceship before the others do. So this is no big news after all: my father just beat you all to the stars once more. - Philippe Baise

Comment

• I am glad to hear Kull didn't lose his sense of humour.
                    Be sure I will play only at 71h 59' after Kull's return.

Comment

• Kull - Welcome back! I sent you an email 3 days ago asking if you were still in the game. Did you get it? ST has been waiting on you, but IMO he must play now, despite questions about cheating and borders.

Zedd is doing a great job as go-between and I am willing to help too, if needed.

Comment

• Pharoah was not kidding. Babylon's time expired, and their turn has been skipped. Pharoah wouldn't do this to any other Civ, but in this case ST is the Great Rule Bringer, and now he must suffer at the hands of his own creation:

First the rule on Game speed:

Game speed
                        There is now a 72 hour deadline. If you can't make it, post here, and we will undoubtedly give you some more time, if you have a good excuse. If you are late, expect your turn to have passed. Don't be shy to take your turn when the guy before you has not shown up in time.

Then ST amends the rule to indicate that the next person begins to lose HIS time after the 72 hours have expired:

On germanos' days (I guess before both Peaster and Zedd came) we tried a rule that a delay of one player doesn't freeze clocks of next players. For example if kengel is delayed Zedd's clock starts at 72th hour of kengel's time. Zedd can wait for kengel, but if he waits all his 72h limit he may be Ctrl-Ned by Straybow.

And Kull clarifies the rule:

Let me clarify. If you email/post and request a delay of X hours/days, your time limit is extended (assuming your request is "reasonable") and there is no penalty upon the person following.

In sum:
                        1) ST did not formally request an extension.
                        2) Although he stated that he would delay his play, he did NOT provide a "reasonable" explanation.
                        3) There is no war or threat thereof (in fact Egypt had just promised NOT to attack Babylon) and ST was present and able to play (as his many posts clearly indicate.)
                        4) Egypt's 72 hours had expired or were about to, so we had to play, and did.

The next player is on the clock.

From what I understand of that Civ game of yours, it's all about launching one's own spaceship before the others do. So this is no big news after all: my father just beat you all to the stars once more. - Philippe Baise

Comment

• I believe that ST (the player) requested a delay while he awaited an answer from Kull (the player) to clarify whether he was making a formal complaint of cheating, or quitting the game.
                          (\__/) Save a bunny, eat more Smurf!
                          (='.'=) Sponsored by the National Smurfmeat Council
                          (")_(") Smurf, the original blue meat! © 1999, patent pending, ® and ™ (except that "Smurf" bit)

Comment

• (ST mode on ) Neither is any reason for delaying his turn. Verification of cheating is not reliant upon delaying a turn. Likewise, determining if a player is in the game or not also has no bearing upon one's turn. Neither explanation qualifies as "reasonable". (ST mod off)

Comment

• I agree with Straybow. Excerpts from recent email:

After ST remarked to me about the clock, I wrote "No problem here - you asked for an extra day or so in the approved fashion, and it is OK with me."

ST wrote "I didn't mean one extra day only. I can play anytime but I am waiting if Kull returns or not and if he returns what he says about cheating. I think he should ask an outside person to check the game or say the thing is OK for him."

An accusation of cheating is pretty serious, but IMO it was not the main issue. It appeared that Kull had quit, and if so, we had to start looking for a sub. I wrote to Kull 3 days ago:

"ST is waiting on you... Could you post a note that you are still in the game ? And whether you want to pursue the cheating idea further ?"

Comment

• It's a joke, a high-class joke, Straybow and Peaster were taken in, it's a joke, yes, a joke...

Comment

Working...
                                X