New "Ancient Empires" PBEM created

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Peaster
    @Kengel: Since you are enjoying the game, let's try to work things out, if possible. Are these assumptions correct ?

* You can announce your trips in advance.
    Correct
    Originally posted by Peaster
    * Your trips usually run less than a week.
    Correct except for about 3 times a year
    * On longer trips, you can bring Civ2 and play your turn while away.
    No, I cannot
    * You can normally participate in alliances, barters, etc with the other players.
    Only in the time when I am at home.
    But if I am away for more than a few days, I could tell someone to Ctrl-N me, that's ok.

Comment

• OK with me. Do any other players have opinions on Kengel's trips? Persia has not had much diplo-contact with the Greeks anyway, so the "participation thing" is not a big issue for me.

Also, the shorter trips do not seem like a big problem, since each delay should be only about 2 extra days [on average]. Maybe Kengel can play his other turns quickly and try to keep his average time under 72h.

Since he does not object to a Ctrl-N during the longer trips, they are not a problem for me. I imagine that we would Ctrl-N if the expected wait exceeds 1 week. And maybe Kengel can find a better solution in those cases, such as a sub.

Comment

• Sorry if this is a private thread - but I notice reference to 'civ2dip' - it has been mentioned on the Ancient 7-player thread as well.
        What is this - what does it do? where do you get it?

Stu
        "Our words are backed by empty wine bottles! - SG(2)
        "One of our Scouse Gits is missing." - -Jrabbit

Comment

• Intrudeeer!
          Aleeert!
          Civ2 "Great Library Index": direct download, Apolyton attachment

Comment

• Nothing private here, O Git of Scousely Origin. I don't see it in the directory... can't remember where I got it... it's too big for an attachment...

It is a PbEM diplomacy tool for swapping money, tech, units, maps, cities, and setting attitudes and making treaties/declaring war. If we send it to you, you will be obligated to join one of the PbEM games. Right, guys?
            (\__/) Save a bunny, eat more Smurf!
            (='.'=) Sponsored by the National Smurfmeat Council
            (")_(") Smurf, the original blue meat! © 1999, patent pending, ® and ™ (except that "Smurf" bit)

Comment

• I was waiting to see if Zedd could answer my email, what with computer problems and all, but I should delay only a few more hours.
              (")_(") Smurf, the original blue meat! © 1999, patent pending, ® and ™ (except that "Smurf" bit)

Comment

• Originally posted by Peaster
                @ST "Rules corner" Not sure I get your points, but I guess cheat mode on the starting map is still allowed, and using the F3 Window to end an alliance is also allowed. Also, using civ2dip to do it by mutual agreement is OK.
                Yes, this is my proposal.

@ST again (about 72h systems): Is it fair to start someone's clock when they don't have a file to play from? IMO posting a save sends a clear message, it allows the next player to start his turn when his clock starts, and it puts more teeth into the 72h rule.
                The player who intends to play should ask Peasteress or SH to create a save. Yes, the time in which a save is created (time you get it minus time you ask) should be deducted...
                If Peasteress will be so kind and post saves without asking - no problem.
                BTW more people should tell what they think about the proposed system.

Originally posted by kengel
                But if I am away for more than a few days, I could tell someone to Ctrl-N me, that's ok.
                Maybe OK for you but not for me. I am not very happy to have an opponent which half turns are Ctrl-Ned.
                But maybe you could ask an ally or any semi-ally to play your turn? AFAIK it was mainly germanos who objected this procedure?

Comment

• If we spent half as much time playing as we do talking about NOT playing......

Anyway, I'd rather have 80% of Kengel then 100% of nobody. Greece is way the hell off on the periphery anyway. It would probably be quite frustrating for an eager full time player.
                  Last edited by Kull; March 19, 2006, 15:07.
                  To La Fayette, as fine a gentleman as ever trod the Halls of Apolyton

From what I understand of that Civ game of yours, it's all about launching one's own spaceship before the others do. So this is no big news after all: my father just beat you all to the stars once more. - Philippe Baise

Comment

• Originally posted by Straybow
                    Nothing private here, O Git of Scousely Origin. I don't see it in the directory... can't remember where I got it... it's too big for an attachment...

It is a PbEM diplomacy tool for swapping money, tech, units, maps, cities, and setting attitudes and making treaties/declaring war. If we send it to you, you will be obligated to join one of the PbEM games. Right, guys?
                    Already in Oh Random Arrow - see the 7 player game - I have been asked to step into LF's slot - big shoes to fill

Stu
                    "Our words are backed by empty wine bottles! - SG(2)
                    "One of our Scouse Gits is missing." - -Jrabbit

Comment

• The intruder would find the tool if he studied wisdoms in my signature more extensively.

Comment

• I am delayed. Must reinstall Java to run Civ2Dip...

Comment

• 1. SG, Great to see our most famous wine critic.

2. If an "Eager Full time player" surfaces I would consider swaping control of Minos for Greece. (If that IS an encentive to recruit players. )

3. Cranky Computer Fixed! Bad RAM was found to be the culprit, but it was a good excuse for some upgrades. PC is back online and civ and civdip are up as well.

4. Slow times ahead at work so may be a few weeks before I have the infamous 12-14 hour days popping up again. I hope this means I can devote more time to fulfilling my obligations to the Minoans and this thread.

5. Apologies for My crankiness, The 72 hour rule IS important, however I allways thought the rule was CTRL-N after 72 hours if there is no word from the player. I didn't realize we were punching a clock and started counting from the time the save was posted. Personaly I usually use the first 24 hrs going through email and notes to plan the turn. And it never fails that One of those 3 days I have something that occupies my time for the entire evening.

Also if I play and post after 96 hrs I think it is unfair to say the next player (Straybow) only has 48 hours to post his/her save.
                          Wizards sixth rule:
                          "The only sovereign you can allow to rule you is reason."
                          Can't keep me down, I will CIV on.

Comment

• [SIZE=1] 5. Apologies for My crankiness, The 72 hour rule IS important, however I allways thought the rule was CTRL-N after 72 hours if there is no word from the player. I didn't realize we were punching a clock and started counting from the time the save was posted. Personaly I usually use the first 24 hrs going through email and notes to plan the turn. And it never fails that One of those 3 days I have something that occupies my time for the entire evening.

Also if I play and post after 96 hrs I think it is unfair to say the next player (Straybow) only has 48 hours to post his/her save.
                            Let me clarify. If you email/post and request a dely of X hours/days, your time limit is extended (assuming your request is "reasonable") and there is no penalty upon the person following. If you do NOT request an extension, and the next person in line chooses to wait for you, THAT extension is coming out of his time.
                            To La Fayette, as fine a gentleman as ever trod the Halls of Apolyton

From what I understand of that Civ game of yours, it's all about launching one's own spaceship before the others do. So this is no big news after all: my father just beat you all to the stars once more. - Philippe Baise

Comment

• I'm up way too late, but since it is daylight in Praha I post now.
                              Attached Files

Comment

• Personaly I usually use the first 24 hrs going through email and notes to plan the turn. And it never fails that One of those 3 days I have something that occupies my time for the entire evening.
                                Zedd: Could you go thru your email and plans a few days before your turn starts ? I could alert you by email [along with Greece] when I finish the Persian turn, if that would help. Also, I try to write down my plans for the next turn(s) while I play, so the next turn goes faster.

Comment

Working...
                                X