New "Ancient Empires" PBEM created

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• thanks Kull

ad 1) Yop is back, but he is buried in PBEM's, I think he is in 10 games at least. So I say we stick with the 48-hour rule. We can give him some slack and start counting from Kull's last post.

ad 2) for CivFan (regarding his password that is )

ad 3) The forums have been rather inactive due to the summerholidays I suppose. And in my experience quite a few PBEM'ers are more wargamers then Empire-builders
    But I agree we should find a replacement and not tolerate the AI in this game.
    "post reported"Winston, on the barricades for freedom of speech
    "I don't like laws all over the world. Doesn't mean I am going to do anything but post about it."Jon Miller

Comment

• Which slot is available? The CivFan's one?
      Civ2 "Great Library Index": direct download, Apolyton attachment

Comment

• Originally posted by SlowThinker
        Which slot is available? The CivFan's one?
        Yes. If you'd like to take over as Hammurabi, King of the Babylonians, say the word and I'll send you the password for that civ.
        To La Fayette, as fine a gentleman as ever trod the Halls of Apolyton

From what I understand of that Civ game of yours, it's all about launching one's own spaceship before the others do. So this is no big news after all: my father just beat you all to the stars once more. - Philippe Baise

Comment

• doublepost
          Last edited by Kull; August 1, 2003, 01:12.

From what I understand of that Civ game of yours, it's all about launching one's own spaceship before the others do. So this is no big news after all: my father just beat you all to the stars once more. - Philippe Baise

Comment

• I warn you, I never played a PBEM.
            Also I have not a big experience with the scenario, I started as Minoans, but not finished.
            Minoans are not played?

How are rules? How do you conduct diplomacy? Do you use Yaroslav's utility? Is tech exchanging allowed? Bribing cities? ...etc.
            Which cheats-ploys are allowed?
            In the beginning of the thread, I saw something about 24h limit, does it apply?
            Do you play barb wrath?

I looked at position of Babs already and Assyrians have much more cities. Why?

Comment

• Get rolling

BUMP for Tanelorn (Yop is still not responding at any of his PBEM's AFAIK

Originally posted by SlowThinker
              I warn you, I never played a PBEM.
              Also I have not a big experience with the scenario, I started as Minoans, but not finished.
              Minoans are not played?
              They are, but Yop has been absent for a while, he should return soon.

How are rules? How do you conduct diplomacy? Do you use Yaroslav's utility? Is tech exchanging allowed? Bribing cities? ...etc.
              Which cheats-ploys are allowed?
              In the beginning of the thread, I saw something about 24h limit, does it apply?
              Do you play barb wrath?
              rules:
              Diplomacy: You conduct diplomacy via PM's or e-mail. When you don't care about privacy, you can conduct diplomacy via the thread here
              You NEVER contact anybodies Civ in game (when you play your turn) UNLESS you will do something you and the player have agreed to.
              (for example: you have agreed with me (Assyria) to exchange The wheel technology for The plow, you can then contact my Civ, and try to get the tech from my ambassador, often referred to as "the AI") Since often the AI (game-engine) is not prepared to do what we players want, Yaroslav's utility is a good way to bypass the AI.
              So, the use of Yaroslav's utility is allowed.

Tech exchange is allowed.
              Bribes have not been discussed before, but I assume they are OK. Anyway, the units that will allow for bribes are still far ahead in the future. Nobody can bribe at the moment AFAIK.

Cheating is obviously not allowed.
              We have not discussed any ploys.
              No reloading of your turn is allowed to get fovourable hut-outcomes, or better battle-results. Basically, you just play your turn, with all the luck and desastrous events that take place during your turn. I'm sure not sure what you mean by ploys, but if it is something like pre-working your settlers, that should be OK. Keep in mind the spirit of the game.

There is now a 48 hour deadline. If you can't make it, post here, and we will undoubtedly give you some more time, if you have a good excuse . If you are late, expect your turn to have passed. Don't be shy to take your turn when the guy before you has not shown up in time.

Personally I advocate the players to send an e-mail (or PM) to the player after you when you have posted your save here, but I have never received any This will help to keep up the speed in the game.

We do play Barbarian wrath, but apparently this has had so far no effect.

I looked at position of Babs already and Assyrians have much more cities. Why?
              Ask CivFan
              Assyria has had some luck with huts, as we have pursued an expansionist strategy, that has payed off nicely
              "I don't like laws all over the world. Doesn't mean I am going to do anything but post about it."Jon Miller

Comment

• To the new King of Babylon:

Originally posted by Civfan
                all is well, maybe war would be good, Persia, We declare war, Assryia we declare war!

All die tonight!
                Your predecessor has left this Eartly realm with this mysterious message.

Assyria assumes this has been a declaration of War. Our troops have been mobilized, but we definately do NOT wish for a struggle with Babylon.

If the new King of Babylon wishes so, we suggest he sends a message via PM to discuss his relations with his northern neighbour. We could fill him in on the history of Assyrian-Babylonian relations, and we can assure him there is no need for Babylon to be so disrespectfull to Assyria.

Comment

• Oki doki, as the Hatte use to say.
                  "Whoever thinks freely, thinks well"
                  -Rigas Velestinlis (Ferraios)
                  "...êáé ô' üíïìá ôçò, ôï ãëõêý, ôï ëÝãáíå Áñåôïýóá..."
                  "I have a cunning plan..." (Baldric)

Comment

• Tech gained from hut, will be gone for a week. I'll be back!
                    Attached Files
                    "Whoever thinks freely, thinks well"
                    -Rigas Velestinlis (Ferraios)
                    "...êáé ô' üíïìá ôçò, ôï ãëõêý, ôï ëÝãáíå Áñåôïýóá..."
                    "I have a cunning plan..." (Baldric)

Comment

• All Hail SlowThinker, the new Lugal (King) of Babylon!

I sent you the password for Babylon via PM......and it's now your turn! It might be a good idea to revisit your diplomatic relationship with Persia and Assyria, since CivFan declared war on both and then left! (Your resources are probably better spent elsewhere at this point in the game....)

To answer one of your questions, this is a Barbarian Wrath game, but we've had no Barabarian Hordes show up so far - possibly because we're playing on Prince level. I think gemanos answered your other questions.

Welcome aboard, Kull

Comment

• Originally posted by germanos
                        I'm sure not sure what you mean by ploys
                        I mean things in the 'Bugs, human cheats and tricks' part of the Great Library. MP players agree on rules before a play (an example are RAH rules V) and so I thought you did something similar...
                        I hate black-clicking and I won't do it although it would be allowed. But I would like to know if it is allowed or not because if yes then I must assume you know position of my cities.

BTW I suppose everybody knows that work of Settlers may be doubled in .net games.

No reloading of your turn is allowed to get fovourable hut-outcomes, or better battle-results.
                        An interesting rule.
                        Seriously now: Is it allowed to reload 'movement typos' when that move don't reveal new information (an enemy's unit etc.)?

I suppose nothing must be reported, and so I needn't to find out who killed my unit. OK?

I there anything I should know? In other words did CivFan get some important information from diplomatic negotiations?

Tanelorn,
                        I would ask you to post saves via e-mail. Reason is that I could play faster: sometimes I have problems with a connection to Apolyton.
                        But saves should be still archived in this thread - so I can post them later in this thread.

@All:
                        I always prefer e-mail over PM.

Comment

I mean things in the 'Bugs, human cheats and tricks' part of the Great Library. MP players agree on rules before a play (an example are RAH rules V) and so I thought you did something similar...
                          Strangely enough no set of rules is being discussed beforehand in any PBEM. It has allways puzzled me why, but it probably has to do with the fact that discussing cheats is not allowed on the forums (as you and I know very well ) But the MP Rah-rules have been a guide-line for me personally.

I hate black-clicking and I won't do it although it would be allowed. But I would like to know if it is allowed or not because if yes then I must assume you know position of my cities.
                          Some players might do this, some don't. I know that at least one player has revealed the starting map, and thus knows the starting locations of the civs, so if you do the same, you have at least one brother in arms. If you like exploring an unknown world (I suppose you do), just play from the map Babylon currently has of its known world.

An interesting rule.
                          Seriously now: Is it allowed to reload 'movement typos' when that move don't reveal new information (an enemy's unit etc.)?
                          There have been PBEM's where reloading was allowed, but its not allowed here, nor in the majority of PBEM's. Reloading when you made a 'movemnet typo' as you discribe is tolerable IMO.

I suppose nothing must be reported, and so I needn't to find out who killed my unit. OK?
                          You should report if you start a war with a civ, but the detail of reporting on battles is somewhat optional. You might keep the strength of your forces a secret, or you could bluff. It cuts both ways.

I there anything I should know? In other words did CivFan get some important information from diplomatic negotiations?
                          I'll inform you on Babylonian-Assyrian diplomacy via e-mail

Comment

• Originally posted by germanos
                            Strangely enough no set of rules is being discussed beforehand in any PBEM. It has allways puzzled me why, but it probably has to do with the fact that discussing cheats is not allowed on the forums
                            I though it is forbidden only in areas where Sun Tzu is moving.

Originally posted by germanos
                            I know that at least one player has revealed the starting map, and thus knows the starting locations of the civs
                            I think this must be legal, because anybody from us could have played all civs in a SP game. For example I know the Minoan start from my SP.
                            To reveal or not to reveal, that's a problem for me now. I really like exploring the world, but on other side if I ignore something that would help me in the competition then the athmosphere won't be so competitive and tense for me.

There have been PBEM's where reloading was allowed
                            Do you really mean reloading of huts and battles? Patient people could conquest the world with warriors!

I have to get familiar with the techtree and my game situation, so please give me more than 48 hours. But there is still a chance I could play today...

Comment

I have to get familiar with the techtree and my game situation, so please give me more than 48 hours. But there is still a chance I could play today...
                              I'm sure all of us can live with that

Comment

• Airbases

What airbases/towns do for cities exactly? Road is clear, but sometimes Irrigation ( on hills) is added, sometimes Mining (on mountains)...

Comment

Working...
                                X