New "Ancient Empires" PBEM created

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wrath Testing

I was a bit concerned that Wrath wasn't functioning in our game, so I tried a few extended playtests (i.e. playing our game as Egypt vs. the AI). I hexedited one version to change the level from King to Deity, and the first "horde-spawn" kicked in around 3000 BC. I tried it again on our game without the hexedit, and it took longer, but I did get two different spawns - one involving Bronze Infantry I and Battering Rams (@2600 BC) and another with Iron Infantry I and Catapults in 2000 BC. The latter was quite nasty, and even Chariot IV's were taking a beating (see below).
    Attached Files
    To La Fayette, as fine a gentleman as ever trod the Halls of Apolyton

From what I understand of that Civ game of yours, it's all about launching one's own spaceship before the others do. So this is no big news after all: my father just beat you all to the stars once more. - Philippe Baise

Comment

• Egyptian Skirmishers encountered Hittite Chariots north of the Litani River! The Hittite General offered a Peace Treaty, but we have declined until such time as the Great King of Hatti makes this offer himself. The Egyptian attitude toward the Hatti is "enthusiastic", so if Peace is desired, please make the offer to the Egyptians on your next turn. There was also an indication that Tech Trading was desirable, but that too is best discusssed directly between Pharoah and the Great King.
      Attached Files

From what I understand of that Civ game of yours, it's all about launching one's own spaceship before the others do. So this is no big news after all: my father just beat you all to the stars once more. - Philippe Baise

Comment

• Map Making

Again - I would like to know if I can swap maps without Map Making? I know only the opinion of Assyrian leader now - he prefers to forbid it (so do I).
        Civ2 "Great Library Index": direct download, Apolyton attachment

Comment

• Given SlowThinkers last post, I feel the need to reply.

Assyria has been sharing maps with other civs. A few bitmaps were send to various civs I have encountered in the game, and a map was given to a civ via Yaroslav's CivDip Utility.

I was completely unaware I couldn't give maps since Assyria has not yet discovered the MapMaking Tech.

I do agree though with Slowthinker that maps shouldn't be shared in this PBEM until MapMaking is discovered.
          I would like to propose to Kull this 'feature' should be implemented in the read-me with the game under a chapter 'House-rules'
          Such a rule will add to the game IMO.

Shamefully yours, Germanos
          "post reported"Winston, on the barricades for freedom of speech
          "I don't like laws all over the world. Doesn't mean I am going to do anything but post about it."Jon Miller

Comment

• I agree - Maps shouldn't be shared until both civs have Mapmaking. But let's not go overboard. It's still OK to use jpeg or gif maps to help clarify discussions about things like borders. Thanks for being persistant on this, SlowThinker!

The idea on a "house rules" section is good. I'll place it at the the bottom of the opening post so it'll be easy to find. If anyone can think of some others, let me know. (For example: "No diplomacy until after the first physical unit contact between two civs").

Comment

• Now I feel sheepish
              I just sent Slowthinker a screenshot of part of my empire before reading this... so, Slowthinker, just ignore the mail, and take instead that I insist that your scout (145,49) does not move further north unless you grant my scout (143,51) to cross the Tigris river.

~~~let's hope this doesn't get posted twice, my PC/Internet/Poly connection is currently behaving very strange~~~
              Attached Files
              Follow the masses!
              30,000 lemmings can't be wrong!

Comment

• Originally posted by EZRhino
                So whats the verdict?
                I see Yop hasn't been around for over a month, and after a short visit to CFC a few weeks ago is still absent in all his games.

I vote for a permanent replacement.
                "post reported"Winston, on the barricades for freedom of speech
                "I don't like laws all over the world. Doesn't mean I am going to do anything but post about it."Jon Miller

Comment

• Originally posted by Kull
                  I agree - Maps shouldn't be shared until both civs have Mapmaking. But let's not go overboard. It's still OK to use jpeg or gif maps to help clarify discussions about things like borders.
                  The effect of the screenshots is very similar to the standard map exchange and so the significance of research of map making would be very low again.
                  Or did you mean to post very narrow screenshots only? I think it is always feasible to define borders verbally and I would prefer it.

I will try to write a proposal of the house rules (including some more precise map exchanging rule).

Comment

• Originally posted by Kull
                    Egyptian Skirmishers encountered Hittite Chariots north of the Litani River! The Hittite General offered a Peace Treaty, but we have declined until such time as the Great King of Hatti makes this offer himself. The Egyptian attitude toward the Hatti is "enthusiastic", so if Peace is desired, please make the offer to the Egyptians on your next turn. There was also an indication that Tech Trading was desirable, but that too is best discusssed directly between Pharoah and the Great King.
                    Welcome, children of the Nile, may peace and prosperity blossom amongst us! Indeed, peace it is we desire, trade is the name of the game! Royal envoys have been dispatched to Memphis (or is it Thebes, now?). They'll be ariving any day now.
                    May your fields be filled by the dung of ten thousand cattle!
                    "Whoever thinks freely, thinks well"
                    -Rigas Velestinlis (Ferraios)
                    "...êáé ô' üíïìá ôçò, ôï ãëõêý, ôï ëÝãáíå Áñåôïýóá..."
                    "I have a cunning plan..." (Baldric)

Comment

• Originally posted by SlowThinker

The effect of the screenshots is very similar to the standard map exchange and so the significance of research of map making would be very low again.
                      Or did you mean to post very narrow screenshots only? I think it is always feasible to define borders verbally and I would prefer it.

I will try to write a proposal of the house rules (including some more precise map exchanging rule).
                      The benefit of an "in-game" map exchange is that it permanently unfogs the hidden areas of the game map. That's what needs to be prohibited until the discovery of mapmaking. A small narrowly defined gif showing a cool battle or a proposed border is totally acceptable as far as I'm concerned. But there ARE seven of us, so I'd certainly be willing to put it to a vote.

Comment

• Minoan Civ

New Minoan Player:

Yop's extended unexplained absence makes it apparent that we do need a replacement, and I've been PM'ing with the two volunteers for the Minoan Civ. EZRhino will be joining the Army at the end of September, and has agreed to step aside in favor of Lafayette. I hope you'll join with me in wishing him the very best as he goes forth to serve his country.

LaFayette, welcome aboard and get ready.....your first turn is coming soon!

Comment

• Map Making

Originally posted by Kull
                          The benefit of an "in-game" map exchange is that it permanently unfogs the hidden areas of the game map. That's what needs to be prohibited until the discovery of mapmaking. A small narrowly defined gif showing a cool battle or a proposed border is totally acceptable as far as I'm concerned.
                          You never know what is narrow and what is not...I prefer clear rules, so that I know - now I am cheating - now I am not
                          Border lines could be easily defined by coordinates IMO...

Comment

• EZRhino will be joining the Army at the end of September. I hope you'll join with me in wishing him the very best as he goes forth to serve his country.
                            EZRhino,
                            Hmm, hm... What army? Saddam's feyadins?
                            Seriously, I think this is not important: I think I can wish you the very best unconditionally on your army or your persuasion. But don't kill civilians (settlers, caravans, explorers) please.

Comment

• Map making

My proposition:

No map sharing until both civs have discovered the "Map Making" tech, no use of map coordinates for specifying localities on the map, areas and squares can be determined using words only (for example: about 10 squares south-east from Babylon). Distances cannot be expressed punctualy: only numbers 2, 5, 10, 20, 40, 80 ('about 2', 'about 5'...) may be used.
                              Coordinates may be used for determining boundaries only.

Comment: I know it looks rigid, but it is strict enough and you shoudn't be in doubt what is allowed and what is not.

Comment

• Originally posted by SlowThinker

EZRhino,
                                Hmm, hm... What army? Saddam's feyadins?
                                Seriously, I think this is not important: I think I can wish you the very best unconditionally on your army or your persuasion. But don't kill civilians (settlers, caravans, explorers) please.
                                Ha ha, yes I will try to keep that in mind Thanks guys, good luck to you on your pbem, I will check in on it while im still around
                                Sea Kings TOT

Sors salutis/ et virtutis/ michi nunc contraria,/ est affectus/ et defectus/ semper in angaria./
                                Hac in hora/ sine mora/ corde pulsem tangite;/ quod per sortem/ sternit fortem,/ mecum omnes plangite!

Comment

Working...
                                X