• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by yop73
    Fine for me, the time-limit.

Tanelorn, You're up, unless Yop beats you to it
    "post reported"Winston, on the barricades for freedom of speech
    "I don't like laws all over the world. Doesn't mean I am going to do anything but post about it."Jon Miller

Comment

• There seems to be some confusion about the time limit. To reiterate (and expand) on my last post:

48 Hours = Highly recommended. Keeps the game moving along at a good clip.

72 hours = Sometimes the real world interferes, so it's not unreasonable - I think - to give an extra day from time to time. If someone routinely takes 72 hours, that's a different story.

Over 72 hours - Unless you've posted to request an extension beyond this period, turn loss is automatic and the clock begins on the next person.

So by my count, Yop still has about 9.5 hours before the game is handed off to Tanelorn.
      To La Fayette, as fine a gentleman as ever trod the Halls of Apolyton

From what I understand of that Civ game of yours, it's all about launching one's own spaceship before the others do. So this is no big news after all: my father just beat you all to the stars once more. - Philippe Baise

Comment

• Meeted with the Greeks.
        They declared war.
        Another town enslaved.
        Attached Files
        Alexandr Yopov, Commander of the Murmansk front in the Red Front democracy game. Fighting for the glory of our marchal and the Rodina.

Comment

• Meeted with the Greeks.
          They declared war.
          I did???? I don't anything about CivDip, am I supposed to be using that? I don't recall any instructions to that effect. Since this is my first PBEM, can someone tell me how to handle diplomacy when the AI does something like this?

Comment

• No, the AI did.
            You can just contact me next turn and make peace again.
            Alexandr Yopov, Commander of the Murmansk front in the Red Front democracy game. Fighting for the glory of our marchal and the Rodina.

Comment

• Or just ignore it? Making peace might cost me something and I shouldn't have to be penalized for the AI doing something I don't want to do (if that makes sense).

yop: I'm sending a PM, I got something in mind.

Comment

• Originally posted by Steve Clark

Since this is my first PBEM, can someone tell me how to handle diplomacy when the AI does something like this?
                In general, you disregard anything the computer controlled emissary (AI) tells you, or askes you. Better still, you refuse any talks with the AI...

That is, unless you agreed to something beforehand with the human player of the civ. In that case you can do any deals you both have agreed to, but nothing else.

I did???? I don't anything about CivDip, am I supposed to be using that? I don't recall any instructions to that effect.
                CivDip is a recent utility program made by Yaroslav, and it is perfect for PBEM. I did put a link for the download somewhere in this thread (quite recently IIRC).

The problem with PBEM and especially the computer controlled emissaries is that they seem to have their own will. They refuse to sign peacetreaties, alliances and such, or they refuse to accept techs or money offered, or they refuse to offer the right tech you want to trade, etc. etc.

The utility program bypasses the AI, and makes it possible to do all these things before you start playing your turn (if an offer has been made to you), and/or it makes it possible to make these offers with anybody at the end of your turn without contacting the AI.

IMO, it is highly recommended you try this program. It's a bit hard to install since you need a Java program to run it, but all that is explained in the CivDip readme.

good luck
                "I don't like laws all over the world. Doesn't mean I am going to do anything but post about it."Jon Miller

Comment

• Downloading...
                  "Whoever thinks freely, thinks well"
                  -Rigas Velestinlis (Ferraios)
                  "...êáé ô' üíïìá ôçò, ôï ãëõêý, ôï ëÝãáíå Áñåôïýóá..."
                  "I have a cunning plan..." (Baldric)

Comment

• The clock is ticking!
                    Regarding the time limit, I think that if a notification of upcoming absence is issued (stating the time a player expects to be back), it should be taken into consideration.
                    Attached Files

Comment

• Originally posted by tanelorn

Regarding the time limit, I think that if a notification of upcoming absence is issued (stating the time a player expects to be back), it should be taken into consideration.
                      Absolutely. 72 Hours is a hard stop ONLY if the player fails to request more time. In the end, it all comes down to common courtesy - play within the time limit or just offer an explanation as to why that's a problem.

From what I understand of that Civ game of yours, it's all about launching one's own spaceship before the others do. So this is no big news after all: my father just beat you all to the stars once more. - Philippe Baise

Comment

• Babylon continues its progress.
                        Attached Files
                        Civfan (Warriorsoflight)

Comment

• The second decade under the rule of Adamu passes by uneventfull…

Adamu is happy with it though. He has been quiet, only to make his mark later. Studying the records of long ago, inviting Gouvernors, listening to their reports and much, much more work has been done. And he has been sending his instructions to all parts of his Empire.
                          And so the future looks very well for his realm. Preparations for building two new cities have been completed, scouts moved out ever further from their homelands, discovering more huts and, most remarkably, a Barbarian fortress! And the fortress has a road leading up to it no less!
                          He ordered the Assyrian army to construct new weapons so they can lay seige to the bloody stronghold, and other forces will move in the lands the Barbarians seem to shield, so they can enter the inviting hut.

Adamu's reign will not be forgotten…
                          Attached Files

Comment

• "Pacification" of the Nile Valley continues....
                            Attached Files

Comment

• Bump and tick-tock hear the clock! AI is eager for its spot!

Comment

• I would like to ressurect the PM-after-turn-posted idea. Apart from that, can somebody please explain to me how the No-CD patch works? I've got a new CD-Rom drive and it has absolutely no tolerance when it comes to (slight) scratches. And I can't get that damn patch to work!

To the game then, Persian scouts have met Assyrian scouts attempting to cross the Persian-Assyrian border in the Zagros mountains. We know that we have done the same violation, but we withdrew our troops immediately. It would be nice if the Assyrians would do the same.
                                Attached Files
                                Follow the masses!
                                30,000 lemmings can't be wrong!

Comment

Working...
                                X