Info: Settlers/Engineers (GL)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Shaft
    The settler costs 1 shield and one food.
    Do you mean the unit support?
    I think the settler has a regular support: i.e. the shield support can be 0 if there is no other unit.
    Originally posted by SG[1]
    the Settler support is whatever is appropriate to your government - which need not be Despotism -- if you wander for ages before founding you can have already revolted to Monarchy or even to a 'higher' form of government ...
    completely
    I thought if you wander for ages before founding then you have no science collected...
    Civ2 "Great Library Index": direct download, Apolyton attachment

Comment

I thought if you wander for ages before founding then you have no science collected...
      You may found Mona in a hut (is it possible to find a form of government in a hut?, i never did) or you got right from the start, what is definitely possible or you already captured another city without founding one. But I advise you not to do this, because you won't have a capital then(No palace).

Do you mean the unit support?I think the settler has a regular support: i.e. the shield support can be 0 if there is no other unit.
      Yes it can. But in the GB there was the question, if these "special"settlers need a support. Yes, they need it, referring to your form of government.

Shaft - not quite a size 1 capital - it must be your only city at this time as well
      Yes, that's what i meant. Sorry.
      Who's the Man?

Comment

Science while a nomad ...
        You can get science from a hut (yes it can be a government), science from conquest - you get a tech even if you (as you might prefer) destroy the city completely, and science from trade with the AI - none of these are dependent upon having a city ...

SG[1]
        "Our words are backed by empty wine bottles! - SG(2)
        "One of our Scouse Gits is missing." - -Jrabbit

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Shaft
            You may found Mona in a hut (is it possible to find a form of government in a hut?, i never did)
            The "monarchy" tech? probably yes (SG?). But can you switch governments with no city? I guess you can.

Comment

Yes (you can switch governments) - and there is no problem with oedo as none of the effects of anarchy matter when one has no cities

To clarify my previous post - trade with the AI meant diplomatic arrangements and tech trading - of course it is very difficult to build caravans without a city ...

SG[1]
              "Our words are backed by empty wine bottles! - SG(2)
              "One of our Scouse Gits is missing." - -Jrabbit

Comment

How did that happen?

And which thread was it?
                Last edited by Straybow; June 7, 2002, 02:10.
                (\__/) Save a bunny, eat more Smurf!
                (='.'=) Sponsored by the National Smurfmeat Council
                (")_(") Smurf, the original blue meat! © 1999, patent pending, ® and ™ (except that "Smurf" bit)

Comment

Wrong thread Straybow,

Put this in the other one please. (especially since it's another person that agrees with me)

RAH
                  It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
                  RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Gastrifidis, are you there? Your page at angelfire is away...

Temporarily I post a copy of the original page from my harddisk.

The original text (it includes also pictures): Load the attachment
                    Attached Files
                    Last edited by SlowThinker; March 7, 2004, 19:23.

Comment

Accelerated orders (in Multiplayer/Internet mode)

Comment

Originally posted by SlowThinker
                        I started to play my first MP game and I found out following differences:

In SP mode and in Multiplayer/Hotseat mode orders works normally (for example Settler/Engineer work lasts as described in Info: Settlers-Engineers (GL) ). But in Multiplayer/Internet mode every order to a unit is executed 2 times.

This has effect to fortifying and Settler/Engineer work:
                        Fortifying don't last 2 turns, but only 1 (i.e. it works immediately); Settler cumulates 2 'works' the turn the order is given (but next turns it adds only 1 'work' to his cumulated 'work'):
                        For example grassland is reforested in 10 turns normally. But in MP mode this is done in 9 turns if you give the order and let the Settler work without wakening (first turn 2 'works' are made, then 1 'work' is added every turn). And the same work is done in 5 turns if the Settler is wakened and reordered every turn.

Why I post this in PBEM forum?
                        IMHO this behavior of MP/Internet mode makes the game less balanced than the SP mode. It causes a player has less strategic choices: especially roads everywhere and immediately are obligatory.
                        But you have the choice between MP/Internet mode and MP/Hotseat. Why don't you use Hotseat for PBEM?
                        Didn't realize this. I knew it doubled on the first turn but didn't pay attention to what happened afterwards.
                        Good catch...I guess I'll have to wake that settler more often, until we decide that it's a cheat. (if we do)
                        It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
                        RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

It is hard to decide it's a cheat. Only if you forbid also to cumulate, carry and transmit Settler's work.
                          BTW also in SP I often wake the Settler up: I never know if some attacker will come or I will change mind and send the Settler to another work.

But it changes MP in comparison with SP very much. Good thing is that it favors work on squares, grow cities and not to found new cities as fast as possible. Bad thing is that you always build a roads - and so there is less strategic deciding for players.

Comment

The funny thing is that I kind of suspected something like this because when I would add an a second worker the timing happened faster, but I couldn't pin it down. Now I know why. This will help a lot with building roads on forest/hills/mountains, and transforming those river squares into forest rivers.
                            RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

What is really funny IMO is that SlowThinker is playing his 'almost' first MP game (IIRC he played one against Eyes a long time ago ) and he discovers a feature that many players, very experienced at MP, didn't...

Since he is playing this 'almost' first game against me, I guess I should be afraid
                              Aux bords mystérieux du monde occidental

Comment

Well since there isn't really much irrigating and while there is some terrain modifying, it's usually not extensive, so most of the settler's work is road building and everyone knew that roads on clear terrain were one turn instead of two, just no one put together what was happening on latter turns.
                                RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Working...
                                X